F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been hearing some squealing lately so decided to check the front brakes. Thickness seems fine on both inside and outside but on both the inside pads, there's a strange groove. Any ideas as to why?

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
That is usually an indication of rust buildup on the rotor. You need to confirm that by inspecting the inside surface of the rotors.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have pics of the rotors. They do have a ring of rust on the inside edge so put things back together and decided to just order some new rotors and pads. For anyone interested, R1 Concepts is having a pretty good sale........

·
Administrator
7,814 Posts
I don't have pics of the rotors. They do have a ring of rust on the inside edge so put things back together and decided to just order some new rotors and pads. For anyone interested, R1 Concepts is having a pretty good sale........
Is their sale cheaper than the Powerstop Z36 brake kit?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Dumb question time... the inner pad is different from the outer one and if you get them mixed up, the caliper won’t sit right. If nothing else check this out to be sure you put everything back together correctly.

Only one pad per (front) rotor should have the “ears” on it... don’t recall whether that’s the inside or outside pad

Another .02... loving my power stop z36 setup after 16k

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dumb question time... the inner pad is different from the outer one and if you get them mixed up, the caliper won’t sit right. If nothing else check this out to be sure you put everything back together correctly.

Only one pad per (front) rotor should have the “ears” on it... don’t recall whether that’s the inside or outside pad

Another .02... loving my power stop z36 setup after 16k
Yes, both of those pictured have ears which go on the inside

·
Administrator
7,814 Posts
From the 2nd Gen FAQ post:

Brake Pads / Rotors

The rotors on the 2nd Gen Ecoboost's don't seem to have the same warping issues as the previous generation Ecoboost's but they continue to go through pads rather quickly. When changing the front pads on your truck, you MUST be diligent and ensure that you are installing the pads correctly. The inboard pads have two "bunny ears" located on the top of the pad while the outboard pads do not have the "bunny ears". Multiple people complain about a mush brake pedal or weird braking after replacing their pads (or pads and rotors). Take note (or even pictures) before removing the stock or worn pads.

The rear brakes tend to squeak after a while when reversing after your truck has sat for a while. To fix this, remove the rear brake pads and use 100-120 grit sandpaper folded over and clean out the groove between the two sections of the "pad". Reinstall the pads in the correct locations and the issue should be fixed. (See thread below)

https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/42-2015-ford-f150-ecoboost-chat/57658-brake-squeal.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts