F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 · (Edited)
How would y'all go about getting the strategy code? I have looked at the ECM and found a code of 'M', but that doesn't seem right...

Here's a pic of the ECM:

This truck is the F150 in my sig, and was bought at the end of 2014. I have no idea if the ECM was updated before I puchased the truck. I would like to know if there is an easy way to read the strategy code... would my best bet be to go to my dealer?

*I am planning on purchasing the tune from Livernois with the 87 perf/tow and 93 perf/tow. I will more than likely run the 93 perf all the time. Let me know if there is anything I need to know about this procedure... I have never tuned before :p. I have been heavily reading some of the threads about these tunes and that is what made me make my decision on who to go with.

Thanks!

As far as I know it's on ur tuner. They r looking for the PCM strategy. On my SCT it's under vehicle tab. Hope that helps some.

The most reliable way is to read the strategy off the PCM with the tuning device. There are so many dealership flashes for our trucks that change the strategy, that odds are it is different than the one on the sticker.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Do any of you know if the tuner from Livernois shows the current strategy code? I imagine it does, but it doesn't hurt to ask!

Discussion starter · #7 ·
So I ran into the dealer today on my way home and asked about the strategy code for curiosity. They had no idea what i was talking about. I showed them the image i posted of the ECM and they said there was no way to find out that code from hooking it to the computer, they figured out what I was after pretty quickly though. I was advised not to do any tuning... "Ford has the best program already running on the truck, and they will continue to improve should any problems present" was their answer. :rolleyes:

Do any of you know if the tuner from Livernois shows the current strategy code? I imagine it does, but it doesn't hurt to ask!
Maybe give LMS a quick shout and ask them? LMS uses a proprietary device to program your PCM. They may not even need your strategy code. But if you are 100% decided on LMS (many are) then I would contact them and ask how to go about it.

The SCT is not a "proprietary device", it is designed with one of the SCT Tuning Software for dozens of custom tuners can reprogram your PCM with the SCT Device. You can even do it yourself with their Advantage III tuning software for the DIYer.

For the SCT device, the tuner must get your strategy code first (thus you need an SCT device first) before they can prepare a custom program for your SCT device to reprogram your PCM.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
I took your advice and sent them an email with the details I'm asking for. Might even give them a call tomorrow.

I based my decision on the reviews and tons of reading I have done. I don't like the proprietary device, but I like the history they have with the ecoboost. (not saying the others aren't just as good)

You can get the p/n and S/n from the back, but the strategy code is different. At least it was on mine. The Livewire also gave me the swpn as well.

So I ran into the dealer today on my way home and asked about the strategy code for curiosity. They had no idea what i was talking about. I showed them the image i posted of the ECM and they said there was no way to find out that code from hooking it to the computer, they figured out what I was after pretty quickly though. I was advised not to do any tuning... "Ford has the best program already running on the truck, and they will continue to improve should any problems present" was their answer. :rolleyes:
LMAO that's a good one. Best to make friends with your local Ford tech. Sure does save some headaches!

Discussion starter · #12 ·
Well, I pulled the trigger and purchased the tuner over the phone. I got all my questions answered and I will have to get the code after I receive the tuner. I should get it Tuesday night and have the tunes by Wednesday/Thursday. Let's see how this goes... I will update after I get the tunes installed later next week.

Thanks everyone!

Reactions: 2Canches
Discussion starter · #13 ·
UPDATE: I have now got the numbers they needed. I have emailed them the information and awaiting their response.

*Those of you who tow... do you keep the device at the ready in the truck and switch tunes when you tow? Or do you just run the tow tune all the time? I'm curious because the giant BOLD letters said not to pull anything with the performance tunes or damage will occur to engine, turbos, or catalytic converters.

UPDATE: I have now got the numbers they needed. I have emailed them the information and awaiting their response.

*Those of you who tow... do you keep the device at the ready in the truck and switch tunes when you tow? Or do you just run the tow tune all the time? I'm curious because the giant BOLD letters said not to pull anything with the performance tunes or damage will occur to engine, turbos, or catalytic converters.
I keep per/tow on mine for everyday driving and performance for highway as for as performance for towing I'd rather not especially with loads over 2,0000 . I keep my tuner in the truck just for that reason plus to keep eye on boost ect. ect. Never know when you might have to tow something when on the road. I also use tow mode on dash when towing that helps keep rpms up between the shifts

Discussion starter · #15 ·
I keep per/tow on mine for everyday driving and performance for highway as for as performance for towing I'd rather not especially with loads over 2,0000 . I keep my tuner in the truck just for that reason plus to keep eye on boost ect. ect. Never know when you might have to tow something when on the road. I also use tow mode on dash when towing that helps keep rpms up between the shifts
This is what I might do as well. Maybe keep it in the glove box. Around my place, it's not a matter of if you'll tow, it's when...

What is the average time to load a tune?

This is what I might do as well. Maybe keep it in the glove box. Around my place, it's not a matter of if you'll tow, it's when...

What is the average time to load a tune?
5-10min on SCT X4

It seems a lot longer when you're staring into a blank dash, and watching the little blue line slowly move across the screen.:cool:

Reactions: coletrain
Discussion starter · #19 ·
It seems a lot longer when you're staring into a blank dash, and watching the little blue line slowly move across the screen.:cool:
That was probably the scariest thing I have ever done to my truck. I thought I was going to brick the PCM. I got the 93 performance tune installed and took it for a quick ride around the block...

All I have to say is WOW. Methinks this was a good purchase! Still suffering from the anxiety attack I had in the truck when watching the progress bar though lol. :p

Reactions: Built4Boost
That was probably the scariest thing I have ever done to my truck. I thought I was going to brick the PCM. I got the 93 performance tune installed and took it for a quick ride around the block...

All I have to say is WOW. Methinks this was a good purchase! Still suffering from the anxiety attack I had in the truck when watching the progress bar though lol. :p
The wife was with me when I installed the 93 tune. She didn't help matters when she said, 'you know I've seen dodges blow-out modules doing flash updates'. I kept thinking,'god, I hope the lights come back on'.:D Then, before you know it, the truck chimed, and everything came back on, and I was out enjoying it's new found power.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.