F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I've had my ecoboost for about 7 months now and i finally got around to installing my old system in this truck. The only problem was finding somewhere to hide the amp. (Settled with under the drivers seat) . I wanted to keep the factory stereo because i wanted to keep the SYNC feature. My setup is 2 12 kenwood excelon shallow mounts and a kenwood 1800 watt amp! This is my favorite system that i have had so far. I kept the factory stereo and added a bass knob to control the subs and love it. I was going to get aftermarket speakers but the guy installed them talked me out of it, he messed with some settingsand they sound like aftermarket now! All and all this is a awesome setup and i am very pleased :). IMG_0810.jpg IMG_0811.jpg IMG_0812.jpg IMG_0813.jpg IMG_0814.jpg IMG_0815.jpg

·
Registered
7,543 Posts
The thing that sucks with the stock stereo is the lack of an actual equalizer. The mid range sound sucks. I even have aftermarket door speakers and once you get go over half on the volume they (even the stockers) sound drowned out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know what your saying! Even in my old sierra with aftermarket speakers I had that problem . But this is definitely bearable ����

·
Registered
18 Posts
We have the exact same trucks, i like your set up simple, clean, and functional. Two things i would have done different are make the sub box match the carpet and mount the amp behind the rear seats. All the heat coming off of that amp would make me sweat like a pig especially on long trips, and id be worried about a buddy kicking mud all over it or spilling a drink on it and it shorting out. But other wise nice set up !!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the compliment man. That was the only type of grey the guy had available (without a extra 40$). And I would have done that but this amp has a bad ass fan and has never felt warm to me once . I was thinking the same thing . If I have any issues I may move it behind the seat .

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Nice, I have a single 12" kicker shallow and Rockford T1's in the doors. The lack of mid-range aggravates the **** out of me... To me, that's the most essential part.

I'll be amping the doors soon.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
The lack of mid-range aggravates the **** out of me... To me, that's the most essential part.
You are absolutely correct, midrange is one of the key parts. Tight bass (too many big woofers produce sloppy bass).

·
Registered
77 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Rockford 360.2 or 360.3 will give you over 200 eq bands done through bluetooth using a laptop.
Have my doors amped with 60 watts rms a channel running through my rockford 360.2, attached to kicker cs68's and it sounds incredible.
These trucks have a great sounding interior if you get the right stuff.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I know this is a stupid question but its been forever since I have even touched a car stereo(my 150 has the sony w/ nav system), will i need to splice into this to continue running the stock speakers? As of right now I'm just replacing the terrible sony sub with the one I had in my last truck so I wont be running a second amp for speakers at this time and I really dont want to kill off any of the stock HU features (sync etc). Any input is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Since you have the factory Sony nav system, you can use the 4 wires going into the stock sub for signal to the amp powering your aftermarket sub. My amp came with a harness that i spliced into the factory sub wires, but you can use a line output converter to accomplish the same thing. I believe the wiring is coded as follows:

+ purple/green
- green/white
&
+ green/purple
-gray

And I agree with those that feel the lack of EQ from the factory head unit is annoying. I know most people probably don't use Spotify, but I get by using Spotify's new EQ feature to boost the mids.

Reactions: Boostking

·
Registered
25 Posts
Also, if you need switched power for remote turn-on for your amp, I used fuse #38.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Colemcw850, what system did you use to continue using your stock stereo and run that amp/subwoofer setup? I see people talking about that PAC Audio system but then someone else on this thread that unit doesn't fit our trucks (I've got a 2012 but I think ours are pretty much identical in this regard). Love your setup and would love to install an amp/sub and keep my stock stereo.

Hey guys I've had my ecoboost for about 7 months now and i finally got around to installing my old system in this truck. The only problem was finding somewhere to hide the amp. (Settled with under the drivers seat) . I wanted to keep the factory stereo because i wanted to keep the SYNC feature. My setup is 2 12 kenwood excelon shallow mounts and a kenwood 1800 watt amp! This is my favorite system that i have had so far. I kept the factory stereo and added a bass knob to control the subs and love it. I was going to get aftermarket speakers but the guy installed them talked me out of it, he messed with some settingsand they sound like aftermarket now! All and all this is a awesome setup and i am very pleased :).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts