F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys, about 3 months ago I was towing and threw code P0172 (fuel rich bank 1) so i took it to the dealer after cleaning all of my sensors didn't fix it. They then flashed the ECU per the FSM and said Ford was advising them to do the flash first etc. and if it popped up again to come back and they would dig into the expensive bits. FYI they told me to change the oil due to fuel in the oil so that's what i did.

Fast forward to yesterday, i was taking my trailer back to storage and noticed on startup that i had a very bad sound coming from my driverside turbo - like a dentist drill/squealing. about 5 minutes later if that i again threw code P0172 that i hadn't seen for the last 3 months. I have done some digging and think i have a warped exhaust manifold on the driverside...I also have alot of coolant leaking so i think i have to get into my turbos anyways as i am told those coolant supply lines like to leak (at the o-rings) once you have some mileage on them.

My question is this, do you think that a leaking manifold would throw code P0172 as the leak would be upstream of the O2 sensor, thus making it think the mixture was off on that one side? Im not to worried about tearing into the truck unless i have a sheared off bolt in the block that i have to drill to get out, but was wondering your thoughts on it being the culprit for the P0172 code? I just dont want to pay for long diagnosis on the P0172 so maybe ill just change the manifold and hope for the best.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i should mention that the squealing would only happen when the turbo really started to spool (i.e. i stepped on the gas fairly hard) - it also would seem to go away as the truck warmed up at least it would get more intermittent

·
Registered
549 Posts
Leaking manifold the videos I seen always sounded like crickets. Yes it subsided as the truck got warmer, but I never heard it described as a dentist drill. I've read that exhaust leaks do sometimes cause a rich code, though. Not something i'd want to take apart unless I was at least fairly certain.

Personally I'd be more interested in fixing the coolant leak there, and seeing if you can acquire some visual evidence on the manifold while you're in the area for the coolant repair.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree, i think i am going to tear into it this weekend, i know theres a howto somewhere on this forum, just trying to find it and i want to replace as much as i can when in there (ie turbo coolant line o rings etc.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
whitie_bear
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing