F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
14,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This first post will be lengthy in order to establish what the existing parameters are on the OEM suspension in a CCD (continuously controlled damping) F150.

The thread would be unnecessary if it were possible to edit or "tune" the factory parameters that the VDM module uses to adjust the variable damping rates, but I haven't found any such method available. Yet! :)

Note: VDM = Vehicle Dynamics Module
It is the module that is monitoring multiple modules in order to gather the vast number of influences on the chassis at any given moment and then adjust the damping at each damper individually. It does this with varying the control voltage to each damper and based on that voltage, the damper fluid orifice is either increased or decreased.

So what is my complaint?
It's two fold actually.......
1. Unlike on the Raptor, I can NOT choose one of the available damping "modes" independently from the available SDM selectable drive modes. Or put another way, I can't choose the more desirable (personal preference) damping mode that is associated with the SDM "Sport" mode or "Tow" mode unless I am willing to drive in that mode. And believe me, if Sport Mode didn't turn off EV cruising, I would simply stay in Sport mode 99% of the time.

2. Not surprisingly, Ford is way too conservative with the auto-damping in the SDM "Normal" mode. As a result the potential advantage of CCD is squandered, in my opinion. It's only marginally more composed in the rear end with an empty bed than the analog oem rear shocks. Such a shame.

Interestly the VDM is programmed to "fail" at maximum damping. So if there is any issue detected by the VDM in the canbus, it will disable CCD and default to maximum damping rather than minimum. I kinda want to test an intentional failure just to experience what that actually feels like. Lol
It would be as simple as unplugging the harness to any one of the 4 dampers.

However, if that DTC gets set, it would require a recalibration of the VDM with FDRS. Fortunately the recalibration routine is already scripted for my VIN when I checked.

You can see it listed here:

Font Rectangle Parallel Electric blue Electronic device

Anyways, back to what I'm wondering might be a way to use an analog approach to influence the oem auto-damping rate in SDM "Normal" mode.

I think a few of you fellas have installed the RAS product called Roadmaster Active Suspension.

I was wondering if they are adjustable enough that you could "tune" them to influence an empty unloaded truck? I realize that is not the primary reason someone would add them, and in fact is the opposite of the intent since they are marketed as NOT influencing the smooth oem empty ride. But could they be adjusted to come into play and increase the spring rate of an unloaded F150 leaf spring?

Honestly, I'm not sure that I would gain what I am hoping even if they could be, but it's worth testing unless someone smarter than me comes along and points out where I'm going is a waste.

For anyone interested, here's an overview of the CCD and how it is designed to work

Font Screenshot Parallel Number Document

And I'm sure most of you have at least seen the RAS setup?

Font Line Auto part Screenshot Parallel

·
Premium Member
14,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Did you choose the Standard or the Heavy?
And based on what you chose, which would you prefer for the unloaded ride?

Just a note, I have seen where the install will raise the height of the rear from .5-1.5"
So it looks like I will have to recalibrate the VDM after the install. And it's almost guaranteed that the inboard scales will be inaccurate even though I might get what I'm desiring in every other aspect.

·
Premium Member
14,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After getting advice from Sir Ike, I have ordered the Standard version of the RAS system.
I'm not expecting miracles nor do I need a huge impact of any kind. What I am aiming for is enough improvement in the rear axle slop in Normal mode with the oem CCD calibration.

Ford, if you are listening.... You went through the trouble to equip the F150 with adjustable damping. THANK YOU. I sincerely appreciate it. And at an amazing bargain.
But why would you lock the user out of deciding for themselves what damping map they prefer? You obviously created the different maps. Unlock them like you do on the OTHER F150.

Or unlock EV in Sport mode and I will shout praise for the Powerboost with CCD at the top of my lungs. 🤣

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 22 limited with ccd suspension that I think rides horrible. It's like a porpoising boat. Yes it's been recalibrated and had the rear shocks replaced all before 5000 miles. I'm about ready to go back to a Ram limited and get a 3/4 ton. I have looked heavily into the road master system and will look for an update to your post

·
Premium Member
14,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry to hear that.
Have you driven the non-CCD F150?

I only ask because I feel the oem suspension on the F150 is far from tied down on all the aluminum F150's I've driven and while the CCD damping is still too conservative for my tastes, it's better than the non CCD F150.
I also believe the front Antisway bar is even softer than the previous generation. I know Ford says with the new steering geometry up front that they could use a much lighter sway bar, but it's too light for my tastes.

Looks like Helwig finally has their front and rear bars available and I'm fixing to throw them both on. I honestly don't think the necessary improvements to make me happy are just damping itself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts