F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
15,277 Posts
I'm not the software police or the piracy police, but "technically", by the letter of the law, it can be declared as theft.

However, in our modern culture, and I don't mean American culture but rather worldwide, it's become a guiltless offense. And it's so widespread that the legal victim, in this case Ford, is absolutely aware of the back alley distribution and doesn't have any intention of stopping it.

And just to make sure that I don't come across as some sanctimonious judge, I've bootlegged copyright material plenty of times. Guilty.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
15,277 Posts
I'm only guessing, but if development continues and it applies to our current hardware, often times the latest build is a money-grab and the older builds are no charge. In other words, if there is a 3.7 or 4.0 in the future, and our hardware is compatible, maybe 3.4 will change to no charge?

Problem is that the NAV guys (me included) are costlier to support because it's more than a Ford Sync upgrade. Those maps are a revenue stream for the map company. (whoever Ford contracts with)

· Premium Member
15,277 Posts
Yea, what superMAX said.

With NAV, it's likely you are downloading what Ford developed at its internal cost, (Sync software) as well as what Ford buys from the map providor (Navigation)

For example, not too long ago BMW contracted with Nokia Maps for their navigation data. (I think the official name is "Here Maps".

During the now deceased Microsoft Windows Phone Era, when they purchased Nokia, they gained licenses rights to "Here Maps", branded as Nokia Maps.

Think of their competitor as Google Maps, Garmin, etc

I never researched who's Maps Ford Sync currently uses, but it's definitely a for profit enterprise. Ford doesn't just absorb the update costs for their vehicle customers.

· Premium Member
15,277 Posts
A bit of a sidebar, but for anyone who wants to know more about oem navigation, although this link IS about Ford, there's far more going on behind the scenes than you might imagine.

And yea, THIS is the stuff that reveals me as more nerd than gearhead. Lol

By the way, although it's an older thread, it appears Ford uses "Here" maps too.

· Premium Member
15,277 Posts
Lots and lots of XLT 302A trucks without NAV

I actually don't require NAV to purchase a truck or car these days as long as they support Android Auto. But if the truck I want had NAV, I wouldn't skip it for that either.

· Premium Member
15,277 Posts
Yea, the smartphone based NAV apps have a HUGE advantage at being cloud-based. That's far superior to local storage modeling.

However, that local storage does still work when there's not a cellular tower within 1000 miles! (which admittedly isn't a likely scenario when on paved roads for 99% of us)

· Premium Member
15,277 Posts
Yea, I have downloaded maps to the phone before boarding an aircraft. You can actually watch out the window AND view the map at the same time. Pretty cool

· Premium Member
15,277 Posts
I got the notice and the request for $150 because of NAV

After reading on this thread, I logged into myford and there IS an update for my King Ranch with NAV. No charge.

However, I looked at the list file and it is build 3.0.21
I'm guessing this is marginally newer than what I'm running currently, but older than the latest possible.

When I get home, I'll check what build I'm running.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.