F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 65 Posts
A bit of a sidebar, but for anyone who wants to know more about oem navigation, although this link IS about Ford, there's far more going on behind the scenes than you might imagine.

And yea, THIS is the stuff that reveals me as more nerd than gearhead. Lol

By the way, although it's an older thread, it appears Ford uses "Here" maps too.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yeah, I was asking about the NAV Guy thing simply because it didn’t strike me as to what it meant. I’ve honestly never been in one of these without the Maps. ;)

Lots and lots of XLT 302A trucks without NAV

I actually don't require NAV to purchase a truck or car these days as long as they support Android Auto. But if the truck I want had NAV, I wouldn't skip it for that either.

With the availability of Android Auto now, factory nav is no longer a desired feature for me. My wife's Tucson has it, her old Edge had it. I prefer my Google maps running on the truck screen to both of them 10-1. And now that her Tucson is a few years old, it's no longer all that dependable (the nav I mean). My Waze and Google maps are always up to date, with real time traffic info, etc. If I'm heading into an are with scarce cell signal, I can predownload the maps of the are before the trip.

I just downloaded Ford+Alexa and intend to give that a good look-see soon! We're heavily invested in Alexa.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Yea, the smartphone based NAV apps have a HUGE advantage at being cloud-based. That's far superior to local storage modeling.

However, that local storage does still work when there's not a cellular tower within 1000 miles! (which admittedly isn't a likely scenario when on paved roads for 99% of us)

Yea, the smartphone based NAV apps have a HUGE advantage at being cloud-based. That's far superior to local storage modeling.

However, that local storage does still work when there's not a cellular tower within 1000 miles! (which admittedly isn't a likely scenario when on paved roads for 99% of us)

Yes, that is the argument for factory nav, and the ONE pro I think it has over other options. My Google maps keeps working when I go out of cell range IF I've already begun the trip. Once that's over if I don't have service I can't begin ANOTHER trip.

Unless, of course, I have actually downloaded the maps ahead of time for said area. Which I have done :).

If there was an area that I frequented that was devoid of cell service, I would download the maps for offline use to my SD card. We prefer the mountains to the beach, and there are places we go in the mountains with sporadic cell service.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Yea, I have downloaded maps to the phone before boarding an aircraft. You can actually watch out the window AND view the map at the same time. Pretty cool

I’ve been on the phone with Ford this morning and I’ve tried their Beta version of Chat software. These guys are useless, I’m thinking if you want the download from Ford, you’re going to be paying for it. Truth is, I’d like the updated maps, I’ve been steered down the wrong roads several times but I’m not happy about paying $150 to get it. I haven’t seen anything where it’s stated how long this paid for update might be current. Am I going to need to pay $150 next year because the maps have been updated again? If they’d say you’re covered for 3 years for your ability to keep the maps current I might consider this. While I don’t fit in this category, I’m also thinking that the folks with 2018’s or 2019’s shouldn’t be charged for a current map update. Just sayin’...
It isn't a yearly thing. It is based on the frequency you want your maps to be current. A friend used to update his quarterly because he required current maps for his job. It was $150 each time. Now he uses Waze/Google maps so no need to update.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I had no idea that Ford had map updates that frequently. I knew that the SYNC 2 systems had card updates quite often but I didn’t know that on SYNC 3’s. Thank you.

I had no idea that Ford had map updates that frequently. I knew that the SYNC 2 systems had card updates quite often but I didn’t know that on SYNC 3’s. Thank you.
When he was doing it quarterly it was a 2015 with sync 2.

Remember it isn't Ford doing it. These companies update the maps constantly. They aren't staffed to do bulk updates once a year.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

This is a little off topic, so my apologies in advance. MODERATOR: Please feel free to relocate if appropriate. Thanks.

I'm not an expert in these matters. So when I was purchasing my 2019 F-150 Lariat, I had an off record conversation at the dealership. I was on the fence as to get Nav or not with my SYNC 3. His advise was not to spend the money as Google Maps was updated far more often and his opinion was that it performs better as well. So I just plug in my Samsung Android phone and roll on.

I would be interested in hearing from owners that are experienced with both the Android version and the I-Phone versions using SYNC 3 or 4 without Ford Nav. Which do you prefer?

Thank you

Depends on where you are... obviously....

I'm a Google Maps and Sync 3 guy. When in the mountains of North East California, and several parts of Oregon and backwoods Tennessee...there is no cell service. When there, I also use my old Garmin Tom Tom Nuvi. Between the two I can at least know which way to turn on those dirt roads and out of the way mountain hollows.

This is a little off topic, so my apologies in advance. MODERATOR: Please feel free to relocate if appropriate. Thanks.

I'm not an expert in these matters. So when I was purchasing my 2019 F-150 Lariat, I had an off record conversation at the dealership. I was on the fence as to get Nav or not with my SYNC 3. His advise was not to spend the money as Google Maps was updated far more often and his opinion was that it performs better as well. So I just plug in my Samsung Android phone and roll on.

I would be interested in hearing from owners that are experienced with both the Android version and the I-Phone versions using SYNC 3 or 4 without Ford Nav. Which do you prefer?

Thank you
Out of curiosity did the truck you were interested in or he was trying to sell you not have the navigation?
That’s the only reason why I could see a salesman not worried about selling something that’s a little more expensive because of features

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #39 ·
reformat.LST is the file for USB 2. You need to put the appropriate files on two separate USB drives. I sat in the truck with it idling, inserted USB one, it did it's thing and asked for USB 2. Insert USB 2 and chill for about 20 minutes.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.