F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a letter from Ford to update my Nav maps, which i really want because of the new roads around me. After logging on, i see its $109 for a download.

Any alternative way to get the map update for cheap, or free?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
You can call the dealer to see how much the new sd card is. Probably about the same.

I've considered it also but with Google and Waze I never use it anyway.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
It's not an SD card for 2016+. SD card was for MFT - 2015 and below.

There are illegitimate methods around. If you do the not-Ford-approved update to Sync 3.4 (well documented on the F150Forum), you will also get the new maps. I upgraded my 2018 and have been happy with the improvement in performance and look/feel.

·
Registered
75 Posts

There are illegitimate methods around. If you do the not-Ford-approved update to Sync 3.4 (well documented on the F150Forum), you will also get the new maps. I upgraded my 2018 and have been happy with the improvement in performance and look/feel.
Did Ford send you a letter about the update I never got anything?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts

Shoot I didn't catch the Sync3 part.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Did Ford send you a letter about the update I never got anything?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
I got a letter for our 2017 Explorer, which sounded like "yay you get an update!" and ended with "after you pay us a bunch of money!" My 2018 was free, but I received no letter... but I could never make the damn thing install. Fortunately, if you do the upgrade to 3.4, you get 1.18 maps (which is current)(

·
Registered
75 Posts
I got a letter for our 2017 Explorer, which sounded like "yay you get an update!" and ended with "after you pay us a bunch of money!" My 2018 was free, but I received no letter... but I could never make the damn thing install. Fortunately, if you do the upgrade to 3.4, you get 1.18 maps (which is current)(
Thanks for the info, will seeif I can get the the upgrade to install.
Thanks Charles

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
275 Posts

Do you have that link to this “how to”? If it’s not Ford approved, I’m guessing I can’t get it off the Ford Sync update site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Do you have that link to this “how to”? If it’s not Ford approved, I’m guessing I can’t get it off the Ford Sync update site.

YMMV. If you b0rk your Sync, it's on you. Do not attempt the firmware update unless you damn sure know what you're doing. There's a story on the F150Forum right now of a guy who used the "test" version of Forscan to update firmware on all of his modules... and he turned his truck into a 5-figure, 5,000lb. brick. Won't crank, won't run, won't even acknowledge a key is in the ignition. The BCM is probably stuck in bootloader, with no firmware. Oops.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks for the forewarning and what happens if you screw this up! That is a lot of tech downloading and clicking. I do love the diagram with the arrows. Are there any Youtube videos from start to finish?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.