F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
7,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this in the mail today. Ford really thinks that people are going to pay this kind of money to update the navigation on the Sync 3 vehicles? Lol

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
14,036 Posts
I know that I was never willing.
But I admit that might change if I kept a Sync4 truck long enough that the NAV became stale.

However, that might take longer than the ownership, depending on what area of the country you live in.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
I got the same email
/letter and briefly pondered the update, but I rarely use the built in GPS anyway since I have a Garmin RV890 mounted on the dash that gets free updates frequently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,854 Posts
That and apple carplay/android auto kinda negate the need for built in nav. Even with my archaic sync 2 i still dont use the built in nav

·
Administrator
7,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That and apple carplay/android auto kinda negate the need for built in nav. Even with my archaic sync 2 i still dont use the built in nav
I use Android Auto 100% of the time on my Sync 3 system, I don't think I've ever used my trucks navigation system in over 3 years of owning it.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
My sync bluetooth routes the maps voice into the pickup speakers anyhow 🤷‍♂️

·
Administrator
7,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a sync 2 and I found the A11 SD card on Amazon for $39
Sync 2 and Sync 3 are two completely different versions...but that's a damn good price for the Nav card.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I did this on my 2017 3.5 and went from the sync3 to 3.4 with all updated maps and new background color/pattern backgrounds. Looks and acts just like my 3.4 in my 2020 Mustang.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've found that my iPhone with Google maps gives great directions, even worked well in Canada on a recent trip. My '12 Ecoboost doesn't have nav, nor do any of my cars (even the wife's '16 Forester). My GoldWing's nav system is no longer updated (2007 vintage). I used to use TomTom, but when it became obsolete (not enough memory) the cost to replace it was prohibitive. With a good phone, nav systems are just one more nuisance that needs maintenance. Manufacturers should provide GPS updates for ten years, minimum, for free. Barring that, phones rule, and the fancy touch screen becomes just a more difficult way to tune the radio. I've got my phone integrated into the Bluetooth system, but I still have the phone set to 'do not disturb' when I'm driving. I don't want any mice in my car, and that includes one built in to a g**da***d dashboard display.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I got that letter also and can’t believe Ford is charging for NAV updates. Their most recent version, prior to this one, is about 2 years behind the times. This is what I don’t understand…Ford partnered with a competitor to develop the 10 speed tranny, why can’t they partner with one of these navigation services to give us free, lifetime, accurate navigation?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got that letter also and can’t believe Ford is charging for NAV updates. Their most recent version, prior to this one, is about 2 years behind the times. This is what I don’t understand…Ford partnered with a competitor to develop the 10 speed tranny, why can’t they partner with one of these navigation services to give us free, lifetime, accurate navigation?
You think they would, you spend $100 on a garmin and get lifetime updates

·
Registered
2 Posts
$$$$$$$$....ford gps IS a ripoff, i got the last update with rebate funds and there is some screen changes but NOT for $150.00. my bil got a garmin for $100.00 on sale with the same size screen as the ford and life time updates and better voice recognition and volume FORD IS A RIPOFF.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
I just paid $40 for the thumb drive and shipping, took about 1.2 hrs to up date for the nav

·
Registered
6 Posts
So - Exactly what is the most recent software versions for Sync 3 and related Nav?

I currently have Sync 3.4 Build 21194 and Maps Versions NA 2 20. My ford owner dashboard is still saying there is an available update though...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.