Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018 XLT Supercrew 3.5L Ecoboost
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I am hoping to get a little guidance with the sync system in the 2018 XLT I recently bought. I have never even had a car stereo with embedded Bluetooth, and always relied on an FM transmitter for that purpose, so a lot of this is new to me. For starters, I just don't really know what I have and I don't know what it is capable of. Below is a picture of my dash. It is the 4" screen. I have been able to connect my phone, make and receive calls, use Bluetooth audio, and hear text messages read aloud, and that seems to be the extent of it. That little app button on the bottom left seems to have no purpose, as the only menu option it brings up is to search for more apps (which it never finds). From what I have read other places, there should be a Fordpass app there at the very least, but I can't get that. I have deleted and re-installed Fordpass on my phone, deleted and added back my phone to the sync system, attempted to update the sync software (just keeps searching even though I am picking up my house wifi with no problem). I have tried all of these things with the phone connected to USB and just connected via Bluetooth. No luck.

I went to the dealer and spoke with a service writer there. He pulled up my vin and talked to his manager, and their consensus is that with the 4" display, Bluetooth audio is about the only thing I can expect from it. They said they don't offer any upgrade options and I should look for an aftermarket solution. I really do like the idea of having navigation on a dash screen, and have been looking at some aftermarket solutions, but I just can't get past the idea that there is something missing here. Why is that apps button there if it doesn't do anything, and why can't I get the Fordpass app to show up on the system? This truck was previously a rental truck before I bought it, and I have this nagging suspicion that the sync version installed in it is some limited version. Could someone else with a 2018 and a 4" screen comment on what you have available on your system?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost crew cab 4x4 heavy tow package fx4 6.5' bed highly modified
6,592 Posts
I'm not sure about the app but my neighbor had the same stereo bezel as you and he had it upgraded with an aftermarket with Apple play/android auto at best buy, but was around $1,000
He really likes it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure about the app but my neighbor had the same stereo bezel as you and he had it upgraded with an aftermarket with Apple play/android auto at best buy, but was around $1,000
He really likes it though.

That is pretty clean looking! Do you know if he has navigation on that unit?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The biggest regret on my truck is the 4 inch screen. Probably smaller on my 2013.
Apple CarPlay or android uses the maps from phone. Hooked up with usb.
Do you get a map display on the 4" screen with Carplay? Or just the audio through the truck stereo system?

·
Registered
2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost crew cab 4x4 heavy tow package fx4 6.5' bed highly modified
6,592 Posts
That is pretty clean looking! Do you know if he has navigation on that unit?
Yes with Google maps or waze

Reactions: davej323

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You have to upgrade to the big screen and sync 3. Or an aftermarket unit that has CarPlay.

Not saying get this but it can get expensive.
That's what I was afraid of. I thought about that 4DTech unit, but I like being married more than I would like having that bigger screen LOL. Seriously, though, I just couldn't justify spending 2k on a stereo. I am getting strongly tempted by this one though: [ PX6 SIX-CORE ] 12.1" Android 9 Fast boot Navi Radio for Ford F-150 F-250 F-350 F-450 F-550 2015 - 2019

Before going that route, though, I just want to make sure I am not missing anything on this stereo that I have. Do you have the little apps button on your system? If so, are you able to get any apps on it? Mine never finds anything and I am wondering if there is something else I need to do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.