F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Sync system on our 2016 F150 EB had been acting up somewhat so I figured a factory update should get things in order. Too bad, the update made things worse, now the navigation does not work at all, radio works when it wants, bluetooth is not working correct. Has anyone seen these symptoms and is there an EASY button?
thanks

·
Premium Member
17 Lariat Supercrew 4x4 SCLB Max Tow
673 Posts
What update did you go to? What version were you running? Try leaving the negative post off overnight. See if that helps any. There are ways to backdate software if you think it will help.

Reactions: stereotype one

·
Registered
56 Posts
I got a similar issue. My 16 XLT 3.5 eco sync screen works great when it works. I've had 3 random times in 2 months when screen was blank, I've turned truck off and restarted and it came back... weird. Also cruise control does same random thing but at different times... I love the truck, still have a warranty but confused as to cause. Currently at 90k, don't drive much (1 or 2x weekly) as recent price of gas and I'm retired, use wifes car. Is it a screen on the way out?

·
Moderstrator
1,859 Posts
@930cabman - what is the update process you had to go through?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just turned off key and restarted and the screen came back on, same as with cruise control. Neither times did it kick on cel. When screen was off, the Sirius radio station stayed the same. Weird ...

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
The screen is only the touch feedback for the apim. Screen could be on its way out. Could try updating to newer software and see if it helps? Time will tell.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How convoluted is doing a software update? I'm getting old and easily confused. Mechanical stuff I can understand...
In the same boat, with age and .... My daughter tried to update the sync, but it didn't help. I read another post here and one reply was to use a Samsung flash drive, several say it worked for them.

BTW: what did you have for breakfast?

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
14,027 Posts
This is one thing that Ford has changed significantly on newer trucks. Your Sync version gets updated while it's parked in the driveway at night. Or at least that's how it's designed to work.

Ford recently signed a 6 year agreement with Google and have reported that sometime during model year 2023, Sync will be no more. The OS on our APIM will be Android based.

Mixed feelings myself, since I personally think Sync 4 is what Sync was meant to be all along. It's awesome and even has Alexa native, so you don't have to master Sync language. (has anyone ever? Lol)

Yes, a few years back folks on this forum found USB updating to be finicky regarding different brands of USB sticks. A particular Samsung stick worked well and was shared amongst a few members. I'm sure it's still around here somewhere. :)

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
I got the links and instructions off here 2 or 3 years ago and updated mine with a cheap usb thumb drive from walmart. ONN brand I believe.

• Helpful
Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Registered
56 Posts
I believe Snakebitten is correct that 16s and probably newer sync systems get up dated on line. I remember that was one of the dealer salesmen spiel when I got the truck. Our cell signal is weak at home so that may explain the random blackout as the system may update when we go to town with good signal. Or the screen is on its way out.

·
Moderstrator
1,859 Posts
I believe Snakebitten is correct that 16s and probably newer sync systems get up dated on line. I remember that was one of the dealer salesmen spiel when I got the truck. Our cell signal is weak at home so that may explain the random blackout as the system may update when we go to town with good signal. Or the screen is on its way out.
If it was me, I would try a manual update, using a USB stick. Start here: https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos/sync/sync-updates/how-do-i-check-for-sync-updates/

• Helpful
Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
I do know you need to follow each link and each step by step exactly or it won't work. It is kinda worth it when it finally works.

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
You have to have them hooked up to internet via wifi though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts