F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Amsoil and filter, I go 7500 usually. 5-30 has really good NOACK testing (evaporation under heat).

Costco Kirkland 5-30 is SP and Dexos approved and is the cheapest oil on market by far, havent looked at all the other specs on it though.

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
And don't worry, I wasn't criticizing your decision ;). Was genuinely curious of your reasons.
Although I wasn't worried, you SHOULD reserve the right to criticize some posts of mine that you are sure to come across. I know I would. Lol

Heck, I have come across posts of mine and wondered if I was hacked, or did I actually say that?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
I had an service plan that covered my oil changes for the first 6 years of ownership. So I had those done at the dealer using full synthetic from the dealership.

Since then, I now use Mobil 1 and filter as well. I've used in all my past vehicles since the mid-1980s. I also change my oil more frequently. I never exceed 5,000 miles. I tend to vary my oil changes based on use. If I drive "pure city" (which happens), I change at 3,000 miles. If I were to drive pure highway unloaded, then I will stretch it but never beyond 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Amsoil and filter, I go 7500 usually. 5-30 has really good NOACK testing (evaporation under heat).

Costco Kirkland 5-30 is SP and Dexos approved and is the cheapest oil on market by far, havent looked at all the other specs on it though.
I wonder if Supertech and Amazon Basics are as well then because I think they are the same.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
I wonder if Supertech and Amazon Basics are as well then because I think they are the same.
It's made by the same company and should be same oil. Costco is way cheaper than amazon though....or it was

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR BCB Tuned
861 Posts
Castrol Magnatec 5w-30 every 4k miles or so. Still go with the MC filter though.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
It's made by the same company and should be same oil. Costco is way cheaper than amazon though....or it was
I dont have a costco membership. Too far of a drive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Motorcraft oil and filter. After switching to castrol syntec and experiencing the dreaded start-up rattle, switched back to motorcraft and everything is quiet again now.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Motorcraft oil and filter. After switching to castrol syntec and experiencing the dreaded start-up rattle, switched back to motorcraft and everything is quiet again now.
This is why I’m totally scared to switch to full synthetic. I’ve been using syn blend, MC. filter since new. Right now zero engine problems for 60k miles. Engine cover still never even removed , by me atleast.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hey,
Did you try another synthetic oil?

·
Registered
433 Posts
I had the rattle when I gave Amsoil a try not too long ago. Hear me out as it can be placebo, but the truck felt very sluggish. Could be something with tolerances. Who knows.

Switched back to motorcraft synblend and no rattle. Truck ran extremely smooth. Motorcraft and Valvoline have been my go to for the past oil changes on both trucks.

Not talking bad on the brand at all. My particular applications didn’t like the oil.

It may just start way too thick for my truck. It does seem to like thinner oils.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I've used Penzoil platinum and ultra platinum. The local Walmart stopped stocking ultra platinum so I switch to Mobil 1. Always Motorcraft filter. Never had issues with either oil.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey,
Did you try another synthetic oil?
I have not. But I really would have never thought oil would have made difference but when mine started rattling it was rattling pretty loud. After a lot of google researching came across someone else that was using Mobile1 and had the same issue. He switched to Motorcraft and his issue also went away. That is what made me try it. If it had not been for reading that guy's post, I would I have never even thought to try it and would prolly already had a fistfight at a dealership by now, lol.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
I dont have a costco membership. Too far of a drive.
Ha ha. Neither do I but because the store is too crowded and as a single person, I just don't have a need to buy something in a case lot.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Admodistrator
2,391 Posts
+1 amsoil ss 5w30 and either amsoil or MC filter. Every 5k. May go 6k this time. 115k
I don’t know which engine you have and not that my opinion is worth anything but I’d tell you to do yourself a favor and not run any filter for 6000 miles on a 3.5 Boost. I wouldn’t run my oil that long either but sure as I say that someone will show me how many miles Amsoil can go. Again, it’s just me but I worry about oil dilution in these little rockets. Can’t speak to the 2.7‘s but my head still tells me the same. Maybe @snakebitten can weigh in on Amsoil (I think he runs it) and change intervals.

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
I'm not the right guy for suggested oil change intervals. Or at least not for someone wanting to know how far can you go.

I actually agree with your premise GearHead that THIS motor shouldn't be seen as typical when considering oil life.

Having said that, I don't think all 3.5EB miles are the same. A 200 mile trip is far different than 10 20mile trips. Or 20 10mile trips.

I know that's actually true for any motor, but it's super applicable to this motor due to how dirty it runs cold/warm.

And yes, I do use Amsoil now in my 18 with ~30k miles. I am NOT an Amsoil disciple or anything. I just trust someone who explained the potential benefits of the 10-40 weight, if I was interested.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Still using Motorcraft Fl500s or Napa Gold filter and only run Ultra Platinum Penzoil. Still changing every 5K. Been roughly 70K since my timing/ phasers were re done and haven't had nary a rattle and this truck sits for days on end before it gets driven. 141,000 km now.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts