F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
So anyone else out there, let me know, who doesn't like SN oil. I think it's too thin, especially in this Texas heat. . I use regular 5w30 high mileage Penzoil and change every 4000-5000 miles. Am I delusional????

·
Admodistrator
2,431 Posts
So anyone else out there, let me know, who doesn't like SN oil. I think it's too thin, especially in this Texas heat. . I use regular 5w30 high mileage Penzoil and change every 4000-5000 miles. Am I delusional????

This is how is supposedly compares to what was the prior recommendation in many applications. I have to wonder if the perceived thin nature of the oil has to do with less deposits. The protection would seem to be superior.

·
Admodistrator
2,431 Posts
I think most members know that Bob’s the Oil Guy is a great resource for oil info, here’s the link:

Oil Specifications website is also a pretty good resource, here’s the link:

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
There is an API SN+ and SP now. They are accounting specifically for the horrific torture that GTDI motors dish out to oil.

BTW, the original 3.5 Ecoboosts, the ones in the 2009 and 2010 Taurus, were spec'd with 5W-20 for a time.Yikes.

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
I run Castrol Full synthetic 5w-40 or Penzoil Platinum 5w-40. I always run Motocraft filters.

I pulled my original motor apart at 55k and it was in great condition. I’ll keep running it and it meets the weight specs my engine builder recommends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,004 Posts
A different brand oil makes it run better ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is my first Ecoboost engine. I use Quaker State Ultimate Durability full synthetic. It meets the Ford specs and comes at a good price. I use the Motorcraft oil filter. I change it every 5k miles. I don’t believe in the oil monitors. And every 5k makes it easy for my old brain to keep track. I also add Chevron Techron injector cleaner at every oil change and rotate my tires.

i know the top tier fuels already have additives, but I figure it’s good insurance. Although we all have our preferences to oil brand, I truly believe the bottom line is regular oil and filter changes with an oil that meets the spec.

·
Premium Member
6,898 Posts
Hey guys, the best oil to use in your ecoboost is Red line oil. Truck feels more eager to fly down the road:cool::cool::cool: View attachment 167565
Now THAT'S a bull bar!

And a wicked looking truck behind it too.

It looks like a truck that might like Royal Purple better than Redline. I'm just saying.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
449 Posts
I’m glad to see oil threads nowadays more about “sharing results” rather than bashing one another. That’s how it should be.

Unlessssss....

·
Premium Member
6,898 Posts
I've never really figured out why this forum doesn't (rarely) explode like most do, regarding the various topics that inevitably catch on fire on other platforms.

I'm only glad that it's the way it is because I'm one to exit quickly. Lol. Life is too good to waste. (or I'm just too sissy to fight)

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I've never really figured out why this forum doesn't (rarely) explode like most do, regarding the various topics that inevitably catch on fire on other platforms.

I'm only glad that it's the way it is because I'm one to exit quickly. Lol. Life is too good to waste. (or I'm just too sissy to fight)

Because all the cool kids went to facebook.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Premium Member
6,898 Posts
Sometimes it does, we simply try not to let it be seen. ;)
Yaw do an amazing job, if you haven't been told that recently.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts