F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'm done! I've been done! I won't do anymore! Oil changes on cars and trucks that is. I won't crawl around under a vehicle, have dirty oil run down my arm, dispose of the old oil and filter. Been there done that got the oil stained Tee shirt to prove it. I have the Local Ford dealer do it so my choice of oil is there choice.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I'm done! I've been done! I won't do anymore! Oil changes on cars and trucks that is. I won't crawl around under a vehicle, have dirty oil run down my arm, dispose of the old oil and filter. Been there done that got the oil stained Tee shirt to prove it. I have the Local Ford dealer do it so my choice of oil is there choice.
Ive only used Syn blend. Mostly because the dealer was changing oil free under warranty contract. It looks like they have atleast made the Syn blend a bit better today with the GF-6 rating. Better for LSPI. I just used my last free oil change so I’m on my own now. I’m going to stay with Syn blend.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Its like a 1 hour round trip to the nearest dealer for me, plus the wait time.

I can drop the oil off at the local tire shop because they use it as heating fuel in the winter. Its literally right across the street from my sons daycare that I drive to twice a day anyways. The local dump is also like 7 minutes away and collects all sorts of fluids.

If I didn't have these options I would maybe consider having the dealer do it.

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,004 Posts
I'm lazy.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Its like a 1 hour round trip to the nearest dealer for me, plus the wait time.

I can drop the oil off at the local tire shop because they use it as heating fuel in the winter. Its literally right across the street from my sons daycare that I drive to twice a day anyways. The local dump is also like 7 minutes away and collects all sorts of fluids.

If I didn't have these options I would maybe consider having the dealer do it.
My dealers somewhat handy for me. Handier place was the Goodyear dealer but they couldn't get it through to the memory banks or read the work order that it only took five quarts. So I switched to the Ford dealer.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I still have gallons of oil on the side of the house from vehicles I owned previously.. why I hit the quick lane and use motor craft synthetic

·
Registered
44 Posts
I still have gallons of oil on the side of the house from vehicles I owned previously.. why I hit the quick lane and use motor craft synthetic
Why are you collecting and storing used oil?

Is this like the people who keep jugs and jugs of their catch-can contents to watch it separate into oil, gas, and water?

Virtually all auto parts stores take used oil... for free.

Just sayin'

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Why are you collecting and storing used oil?

Is this like the people who keep jugs and jugs of their catch-can contents to watch it separate into oil, gas, and water?

Virtually all auto parts stores take used oil... for free.

Just sayin'

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Agreed and no reason other than, I will eventually get around to it....... My bad, but its stored!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Castrol Edge full syn and Napa gold filter. Oil is about $23 for 5 qt on line. I stopped doing oil chages on this engine and pay an independent $25 labor and I provide oil and filter. I still change oil on other vehicles myself but not anymore on the EB, very poor filter placement.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Though I’m currently running amsoil xl 5w30, an acquaintance from BG told me it’s no better than mobil1... just costs a bunch more

His other astute point... the filter is really the limiting factor. Often as most of us change it, the choice of oil really isn’t so important

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Though I’m currently running amsoil xl 5w30, an acquaintance from BG told me it’s no better than mobil1... just costs a bunch more

His other astute point... the filter is really the limiting factor. Often as most of us change it, the choice of oil really isn’t so important

Even if amsoil was twice as good, 50% less wear than 0 wear is still 0.

Not that there is ever 0 wear in an engine, but if the wear were some low number like .0000001”, then who cares if its 1/2 of that.

·
Premium Member
6,898 Posts
The great oil debate often sounds like its comparing one flavor of fresh oil to another flavor of fresh oil. In those circumstances I have to agree that there's likely more they all have in common with their intended ability to lubricate.

But are they ALL the same after they've been heat cycled and diluted and certainly contaminated?

Ahhhh, then the minutiae of the science and claims just might have some separation between the lubrication performance and protection?

That doesn't mean that I know squat about what makes one better or not once it's been in the hostile innards for 4000 miles. But I do know that I FEEEEEL better believing I got some good science in there when I'm foot to the pedal in 100F ambient on good and used oil.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
The great oil debate often sounds like its comparing one flavor of fresh oil to another flavor of fresh oil. In those circumstances I have to agree that there's likely more they all have in common with their intended ability to lubricate.

But are they ALL the same after they've been heat cycled and diluted and certainly contaminated?

Ahhhh, then the minutiae of the science and claims just might have some separation between the lubrication performance and protection?

That doesn't mean that I know squat about what makes one better or not once it's been in the hostile innards for 4000 miles. But I do know that I FEEEEEL better believing I got some good science in there when I'm foot to the pedal in 100F ambient on good and used oil.

Yes, i would assume they are, otherwise they wouldn’t pass the API and manufacturers standards. Or maybe they are not exactly the same, but the differences are insignificant based on what I said above.

Its not like Ford creates the specs for their oil for the ecoboost based on the performance at 0 miles only.

·
Premium Member
6,898 Posts
Good point.

But I still ain't putting Walmart oil in my...... Well, anything. I just can't succumb to the valid logic.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Good point.

But I still ain't putting Walmart oil in my...... Well, anything. I just can't succumb to the valid logic.

I haven’t put it in my Ecoboost either. I use name brand stuff in my truck. But thats mostly because I can find name brand stuff for the same price or less a lot of the time and just stockpile so I have enough until the next deal comes around.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
Good point.

I run the house brand diesel Dino 15w40 in the scout! Has enough zddp in it for the flat tap cams. Mind you it eats 1 qrt over 2500 miles.

·
Premium Member
6,898 Posts
I run the house brand diesel Dino 15w40 in the scout! Has enough zddp in it for the flat tap cams. Mind you it eats 1 qrt over 2500 miles.
I've had a few machines in my lifetime that consumed their lifeblood as they rolled. I'm glad you reminded me, because THOSE vehicles often got no-name straight 30W Dino oil from the convenience store. On the shelf right next to the bobypins and paperclips. :)

I just dated myself big time, eh?

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,004 Posts
Can still get 30w dino oil at wally. They call it Brigg's & Stratton. I use it all the time 👍🏼

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Can still get 30w dino oil at wally. They call it Brigg's & Stratton. I use it all the time
I put Pennzoil Ultra Plati in my Lawn Mower a few weeks ago

Only because I had half a quart left and wanted to get rid of it. Turns out a briggs and stratton only takes like 8 oz of oil so now I have a 1/4 quart left.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
177 Posts
The amsoils and like of the world, even BG according to my source that amsoil and Mobil are essentially equal, may stay good for a longer service interval but nobody is making a filter that actually has the capacity for running the same interval.

The best oil is not doing you any good when filter is in bypass

Until we can change the filter and not the oil, think it’s best practice to buy the most affordable really good synthetic oil you can. Pretty sure I’ll be switching back to mobil1.

Maybe I’ll do one of them fancy mail in oil tests... are they more reliable than ballots ;)

61 - 80 of 91 Posts