81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't care if synthetic or not so long as it is 5W-30 and WSS-M2C946-B1,

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
Doesn't the supplement for the owners manual on 2019+ 3.5EB now say 5-30 OR 0-30?

(Although I use 0-40 and meets Nissan G-TR spec. The closest cousin to our 3.5EB)

I'm feeling frisky throwing that out there. Lol

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
407 Posts
Snakebitten, "Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil XO-5W30-QSP" quote from the manual. In the past I have noticed a loss of MPG with slightly heavier oil in NA Duratec CNC machined engines so I stay with recommended weights. Course my climate is a bit chillier up here.

Synthetic does have some problems with sludge if driven for frequent short trips. It has much to do with not reaching operating temps. That's where snyth blends are better.
I use Amzoil because of the testing results (and it's a WI brand), being blessed by API for donating a big chunk of cash means little to me, flow/protection/volatility/------- is what I consider. It's not a huge difference but is there. Another thing to mention is staying with the same brand and not switching, they may start with the same base stock but use proprietary additives the can react with other additive packages. KM

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
I found what I thought I had seen in the owners manual. It's for COLD climates and addresses cold starts.

I'll just have to pretend that it gets frigid cold down here early in the morning and then really hot in the afternoon. Lol. (0-40 weight)

I'm an lubrication outlaw

Reactions: butthead

·
Registered
407 Posts
"I'm an lubrication outlaw"

Did you get banned from Midland? Even a cheesehead like me has been allowed to play there.
KM

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
Just let me do ONE lap!

Don't you know that thing would be wicked fun

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yes I know and have watched it on track at Road America! KM

·
Registered
170 Posts
-22 degrees and Texas don't go together. lol

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
-22 degrees and Texas don't go together. lol
Wind chill factor on a cold blistery panhandle winter night?

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Ive seen -20 here once. But my truck sleeps in the insulted garage which rarely sees below freezing.

I would think 0W-40 is probably not a bad choice, especially towing in the summer. My guess is 0W-40 is closer to 5W when cold and on the light weight side of 40 when hot.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
On various research of other websites & vehicles that have Variable Valve Timing, many (like our Ecoboost) use engine oil in the phasers (or similar devices) to vary the timing.

On other websites, those owners are also noticing issues with their Variable Valve Timing caused by extended use of their oil (i.e. extend to the maximum recommended mileage).

Frequent changing of your oil (preferably good quality oil) seems to be the key those users have also found to keep the Variable Valve Timing functioning properly.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I found what I thought I had seen in the owners manual. It's for COLD climates and addresses cold starts.

I'll just have to pretend that it gets frigid cold down here early in the morning and then really hot in the afternoon. Lol. (0-40 weight)

I'm an lubrication outlaw

Typical a 30w maxes at 35C from the various viscosity charts I've seen. The graph in the Ford manual is indicating a 5w40 oil.

·
Registered
549 Posts
0w40 Edge has been flowing in my F150s since 2011. 2009 5.4 3v and 2016 3.5 eco. Both run (ran) like a top.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts