F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
It really boils down to cost & opinion lol! I waited until my EcoBeast was well broken in before making the switch over to synthetic. Main reason I made the switch is because of the dramatic & harsh environment the Eco has to operate in. Synthetic just does better plus I tow often.
As for brand I prefer to use Royal Purple, but have use other brands with same amount of luck.

·
Registered
495 Posts
My Ford Dealership put MotorCraft full-synth in mine for his first change, but I'm a fan of Castrol & Mobil full synthetics. They had wanted to put a semi-synth in it... I veto'd that.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Should I use synthetic oil or just conventional? And if synthetic is recommended, what brand?
For Canadian customers the manual states the requirements for oil are or meeting specification

•Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Super Premium Motor Oil (Canada)
•Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil (Canada)

•CXO-5W30-LSP12 (Canada)
•CXO-5W30-LFS12 (Canada) / WSS-M2C946-A

Which conventional oils meet those specifications?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I use Mobile 1 in all my vehicles, my Corvette recommends 5W-30 Mobile 1. I have not ever had any problems. I think most all types of SAE approved oils would do just fine.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Any scientific analysis that can validate the the implied success?

From my experience every vehicle I've owned seems to have it's own characteristics for which particular brand and model of oil simply worked better in the particular application., verified by scientific sampling and analysis.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I use the same oil Ford used in this torture test. No other oil has withstood testing this abusive and extensive in a 3.5 Ecoboost engine. Since I know that the recommended oil can stand up to that I'll use it. I in no way will ever subject my truck to that type of abuse so the level of protection given by the Motorcraft synthetic blend is actually better than I need.

·
Registered
168 Posts
A few years ago I had a picture from a"consumer reports motorcycle mag" showing the Harley factory team using Mobil1,Which they denied in the following issue? Also in this issue there was a independent oil test done in a california institute that showed Moble1 as the best in all the tests,Castrol was the runner up.
Most of the expensive motorcycle oils falling way behind.
I'm only stateing what I read.I'm not a scientist nor do I play one on TV.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Run synthetic. With two turbos you want the best protection.
I am also going to add Rev-X to my oil.
Why?
Because I learned with real world experience that it is a great product. It fixed injector stiction in my 6.0 powerstroke and lifter tick in my wife's E90 BMW 3.0 engine.
Either way, great synthetics like Amsoil, Schaeffers, Royal Purple, etc. are a great thing to run in your Ecoboost! I don't want to start an additive hijack here. I know synthetics rule.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
I have been using synthetics for over 35 years and Mobile 1 for 25 years. I took the heads off a car that had 300,000+ miles on it. You could see the original factory cross-hones in the cylinder wall and there was no ridge at the top of the bore. The engine didn't use a drop of oil whatsoever.

I also agree that it is a good idea to break the engine in with regular oil first to seat the rings. I would do frequent oil changes and switch to synthetic anywhere between 5,000-10,000 miles. I just bought my truck last weekend, but I plan to do my first oil & filter change at 1,000 miles, another at 2,500 and at 5,000 switch to full synthetic. While it's on warranty, I will be using Ford's full synthetic ... so they don't have any excuses to void my warranty.

Once my warranty is over, I will switch to Mobil 1 again.

·
Registered
868 Posts
i recently heard an ad from a local dealer that will do a quicklane oil change for $49.99 with full synthetic castrol and their special deal was a $10 oil change on fridays with a semi synthetic

the quicklane deal is pull in and schedule then wait or drop it off because they dont schedule ahead of time, they claim that almost every service is a max of 1 hr wait but i have been there on a friday for other reasons and it was a complete mad house that i really would rather avoid.

has anyone done the full synthetic change at home and what does it cost approx ?
i am wondering if this is a good deal or just a public ad to get people to come in.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
i recently heard an ad from a local dealer that will do a quicklane oil change for $49.99 with full synthetic castrol and their special deal was a $10 oil change on fridays with a semi synthetic

the quicklane deal is pull in and schedule then wait or drop it off because they dont schedule ahead of time, they claim that almost every service is a max of 1 hr wait but i have been there on a friday for other reasons and it was a complete mad house that i really would rather avoid.

has anyone done the full synthetic change at home and what does it cost approx ?
i am wondering if this is a good deal or just a public ad to get people to come in.
Not on this vehicle but for on other vehicles (using Mobil 1). It darn near cost me that amount for just the oil and the filter. And that's picking the oil in the big jug at Wal-Mart (4 quart) which is all the vehicle took. I believe our trucks take 6 quarts so you would need 1.5 jugs.

Then if you have a skid plate (probably do), it is even more work to do the oil change. I'll know as soon as my warranty is finished as all my service is included for now.

All said, it does sound like a good deal IMO. Basically just paying for the oil, and they do all the work.

·
Registered
565 Posts
What do thety come from the factory with i assumed it was a synthitc or synthetic blend?

·
Registered
868 Posts
another good question !
i called the service dept where i bought my truck and asked when it needed to have its first oil change and he told me 5,000.
he said after that they offered 2 oil options that were 7,500 and 10,000 miles so apparently they are using synthetic here or i would expect to see 3,000 or 5,000 recommended.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
I live in Polar Bear Country, so the owner's manual says "we only get Dino". But the dealership said their "Basic Oil Change" is now Semi-Synthetic ... which is fine for me for the first while.

I get an oil change every 6,000 miles or 6 months (which ever comes first) as part of my Warranty Package. But I already went to the dealership and asked to have my oil changed just last week when I hit 1,000 miles.

As I said above in my earlier post, I'm an old timer and I like to get the first change done around the 1K mark to get rid of the "break-in" additives they do have from the factory. I also believe how you break your motor in (and care for it) will set the stage for how well your engine will be over it's life.

And usually, my vehicles tend to perform better and last longer than the average. And, once broke-in, while I may not beat the snot out of them ... I don't baby them either.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts