F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Moderstrator
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a tonneau cover means I cannot look in my rear view mirror and tell if my tailgate is open or closed.

Yes, I know, I will see in my backup camera the ground if it’s open. But what if I’m not backing up when I start off? Or what if it opens on its own (because I accidentally pressed the tailgate open button on the fob)?

I’ve done some research online and there are people who have figured out how to get 2017 or newer Lariat or higher trims connected to micro switches, stock wiring harnesses and leverage FORScan to show “tailgate ajar” on the dash. This is pretty cool if you have a Lariat or higher trim. But what about older trucks or XL / XLT’s?

So - I also looked online for visual indicators. I experimented and tried having a stubby antenna fastened on my tailgate lip - I could see that sticking up when the tailgate was closed. It looked stupid. And it was really easy to knock off when the tailgate was down. Nix this idea.

Then I found this item - I’ll install it this weekend and report back.

Rectangle Font Wood Office supplies Office equipment

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
This was brought up on another forum and the poor guy got raked over the coals. One person was all pi$$y about how this LED was going to blind him being in hos mirror. And of course several of the just check the tailgate...

I think it's a good idea and wish I could come up with some idea like this that would makme me some $$$$.

·
Moderstrator
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can only imagine.... So far, what I have learned playing with the device on my workbench, is that the magnet needs to be 1" or closer, but not touching the main unit. This does help with locating an installation spot on the tailgate. And the LED isn't a laser beam or a laser pointer. When the magnet is > 1" away, it will flash on and off every second - a slow blink or sorts. The attached shows the magnet within about an inch of the receiver - light off. Then a picture with the magnet further away and the LED caught in the on phase of blinking. In comparison, the red light from the bottom of the mouse I use.

Gadget Audio equipment Musical instrument accessory Cable Communication Device

Peripheral Gadget Audio equipment Input device Font
Finger Communication Device Gas Gadget Thumb

·
Moderstrator
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. simple press of a button on the receiver unit.

Reactions: Scott91370

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hopefully it works for you... I think it it stupid that there isn't an indicator on the dash. My tailgate on my '18 opened on its own radomly ($2,000 damage the first time), would have maybe saved some grief it there had been.

Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Moderstrator
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes. I was notified my 2018 may be affected by “unintended tailgate opening”. My letter refers to CSP 21M06.
And, I’ve inadvertently opened and left open my tailgate via the remote fob button. First time I noticed immediately when backing up - camera view of the pavement. Second time I made it down the road about 3 miles to the corner store. Nothing was in the bed, so no harm that time.

·
Moderstrator
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Install of the Tailgate Alert completed.
I used a small L-bracket, straightened out for the magnet. Attached this to the tailgate inner cover screw. Alignment here was spot on to line up with the receiver. Video of it in use linked too.
It works but I’m not 100% sold it’s a great or even ok solution. I’ll use it for now - until I set up a micro switch to the in dash warning.

PS. My first ever YouTube video. Was a thing on my bucket list.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Yellow Bumper

Sleeve Asphalt Road surface Grey Rectangle

Hood Tire Automotive tire Sleeve Grey

Bag Sleeve Bumper Automotive tire Grey

Automotive tire Grey Wood Wall Road surface

Door Automotive tire Wood Grey Automotive exterior

Bumper Hood Automotive tire Grey Sleeve

Automotive tire Sleeve Grey Asphalt Road surface

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Plant Gadget

Automotive tire Auto part Automotive wheel system Automotive design Carbon

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
I also subscribed. When can we expect additional content?

Reactions: Boatwaco
1 - 12 of 12 Posts