F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have scoured the owners manual and the net, but have not been able to find a weight limit for the tailgate in the open position. The wife and I have 2 motorized gas powered scooters and she wants to start bringing the scooters along for weekend trips. Hers will fit in the bed with both wheels on the bed surface. Mine is a little longer and the rear wheel will be sitting on the open tailgate. The scooter weighs about 200lbs and am concerned about over stressing the tailgate. Anyone know the Ford recommended weight limit for the tailgate in the down position?

Thanks,

SPPD

P.S. this is my 100th post so I guess I am a Regular now! Lol

·
Registered
139 Posts
Id say you would be ok dude..I have carried a Hayabusa on an open tailgate with the rear tire only sitting there and most the weight is far forward. I know its not a tech answer with backed up data but only backed up experience. Only concern I would have is it bouncing but Im sure that wont be an issue unless your running off road. Those lil scooters will be ok IMO...

·
Registered
589 Posts
Can Am.jpg
This is My Can Am Max 1000 (weight is about 900 plus pounds with fluids in it). tailgate has no issues holding the weight of the ATV. One thing I would recommend is watch out for bumps if you don't have any real weight on the tailgate. It can fly up and slam down (Due to the tailgate assist rod in it and no counter measure). This happened on one of my buddies F-150 it actual came up high enough to come off and he dragged it down the road for a minute until he was seeing sparks (He was hauling a dirt bike and the rear wheel was touching the tailgate but not enough weight to keep it from bouncing around). So just double check that before rolling and also a side not the Tailgate step is rated for 350lbs so I would think the tailgate could hold that if not way more.
By the way congrats on the 100 post. I am no computer guy by any measure but a milestone is a milestone LOL!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured I would be all good, but just wanted to be sure. With the Busa and the Atv you guys are loading I should be just fine. I guess I could rig up a shock or tie down strap to eliminate the bounce and be all good.

Thanks for the replies!

SPPD

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Just keep an eye on the cables. If they start to show rust and corrosion just replace em. I hauled a 500# golf car with a couple of my previous rides and had no problems. I also regularly sit my big fine 245# mass out there regularly and have only broke 1 rusty cable (Surprise! :eek:) That won't happen again!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys!

We are taking our first camping trip of the year this weekend. This will be our shakedown trip of the new TT. The forcast was calling for near 70s all weekend. Forecast changed and we will be camping in the snow lol. I might even get a line wet for a few hours if the urge strikes.

Thanks again for the experience.

Regards,

SPPD

·
Registered
589 Posts
Mike that is too funny and SPPD I would kill for some warmer weather instead of snow lol!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Me too! AK, last year this time I was raking my lawn. this year I still have 2' of snow on it!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Fx4- I know right!! I was plowing a foot of snow last night to clear the drive way. Although I took advantage of the fresh snow and had the EcoBoost Drifting the back roads LOL.
Traci- Send the heat up to us Northern Folks!

Attachments

·
Registered
589 Posts
Traci your killing us up here even with 60! Sun is out but it is only 10 above (which is warm to us given it was 70degree colder a month or two ago). Luck for us the summer time we will be in the 80s and 90s and totally day light LOL!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Today made me so cold I had to break out the ol' winter coat! ;) Anything below 80 and my lips/fingers turn blue... :facepalm:

My roomie at work grew up in AK. He has some stories!!! Y'all are cray-zeeeeeee!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Today made me so cold I had to break out the ol' winter coat! ;) Anything below 80 and my lips/fingers turn blue... :facepalm:

My roomie at work grew up in AK. He has some stories!!! Y'all are cray-zeeeeeee!
yeah we tend to be where the wild things are lol crazy is normal here lol!

·
Registered
152 Posts
yeah we tend to be where the wild things are lol crazy is normal here lol!
Now you said it! someone's got to be here,might as well be us!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts