F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '12 Extended Cab, EcoBoost with a tonneau cover. Gets pretty dusty back there. I'm looking to buy some type of seal for the tailgate. Anybody find one that works? :confused:

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Maybe some of that foam weatherstripping they sell for house doors?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried some of it, but it collapses after a short time. Even tried pieces of pipe insulation, but they don't hold up either. Maybe I'll just try one of the ones advertised and report back.

I don't mind a little dust, but running gravels/dirt in Nebraska and Kansas hunting it gets pretty thick...

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I run an extang Full tilt toneau cover,My fourth one since 97' ("tupperware lid", not snaps) and an extang maxseal tailgate seal, My truck is in the car wash at least once a week and my tools remain dry, hell I get more water through the sunroof from the force of the carwash if I forget to pull the sunshade closed than I get in the bed! I'm terribly impressed with extang's customer service so I keep buying their products here's the link to the maxseal, but there are a lot of similar products!
http://www.realtruck.com/shared/pdf/manufacturers/49/maxseal_ps.pdf

·
Registered
17 Posts
Has anyone come up with a trim kit that has a heavy rubber seal that will properly seal the rear gate. Now that I have a nice cap and a bed liner it would be nice to have a seal to prevent dust into the bed area. So far, I have not come up with an adequate seal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2013 SCAB XLT 4X4 with a Leer cab high cap. I used home weatherstipping (like you can get at Lowes, Home Depot etc) to seal the tailgate. Two sizes had to be purchased based on the size of the gap at the bootom and up each side of the tailgate. This is the same approach I used on my Dodge (it lasted 10 years). Another major source of dust being forced into the bed is the set of three holes on each side of the bed just inside the tailgate that I believe is for the Ford cargo holder accessory that you can have installed. I pluged all six of those. If you check under your bed you can see the dust is almost funneled up openings under the rear corners of the bed to those six rather large holes. It has worked well for me.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I got the Freedom 1140 Max Seal on Amazon. It's a rubber seal, and works very well

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally warmed up enough I could do this project. I ended up using a tailgate seal that is manufactured by Lund.

Lund 30002 Genesis Tailgate Seal : Amazon.com : Automotive

Went on easily. I did spend some time deciding where to apply it so it didn't roll when I closed the gate. Working good now. We'll see how it holds up.

Cattle dog guy is right about those holes. I just used wine corks to plug them:)

·
Registered
311 Posts
I also noticed dust just inside of my tailgate and it comes in from a seem in the sheet metal behind the wheel wells. No idea why that is not sealed up but it takes in dust from the rear wheels. Will likely run a bead of silicone in from the underside to seal it up. Attached pic does not show th dust real well but you can see the seem that runs across the rear corner just forward of the tailgate.

Iron Mountain-20130416-00276.jpg

·
Registered
169 Posts
I got my seal the other day at Lowes. 3/4" x 5/16" weatherstripping for doors. It worked well for 5 years on my Dodge and I don't see any reason it won't on this one. Best part is that it was all of $5.95

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
11 Participants
Snowdog
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing