F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm bringing my 2012 xlt scab to the track tomorrow night. I'll be running the Livernois 91v2 performance tune, airaid intake.

I need to know if anyone has run this setup or similar setup and what your times were.

Also, has anyone in Colorado taken their truck to the track? Altitude plays a big role in times. I want to know how 5280 times compare to sea level times. Thanks!

Here is my truck

ForumRunner_20130618_174033.jpg

·
Registered
589 Posts
Hey good luck let us know how she performs in the High Alt.!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Goodluck. I would think that the altitude is going to have little affect on your times. Remember that we aren't limited by atmospheric pressure. Hi altitude is another area where turbos shine. Keep in mind that if two engines make the same power at sea level and one is turbo and one is supercharged or naturally aspirated, if no changes are made the turbo engine will make more power than the other at high altitude. The faster you get your turbos up to full boost while maintaining traction the closer you will come to the time you'd run at sea level. You can actually get good enough at doing that to duplicate sea level times. I think that there is A LOT more in these little turbos than we are currently pulling out of them and altitude won't be a limitation until you start approaching the maximum capabilities of the turbos.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you guys think I should brake launch from 4wd?? If I do, I'll prob go from ~1700 rpm, advance track disabled.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Do you guys think I should brake launch from 4wd?? If I do, I'll prob go from ~1700 rpm, advance track disabled.
I have no idea. I've never owned a 4WD vehicle so I don't know how abusive of a high-performance launch they can take. The brakes of my GrandNational can hold 5psi of boost before the engine overpowers them. I had to get Mickey Thomson drag radials to launch at that boost level. If our 4WD trucks can take that kind of massive torque dump AKA abuse then your launch would be greatly improved by taxing your traction by launching with as much boost as the brakes/tires can hold. If they are anything performance wise like AWD then by all means launch it as hard as you can. Please report back with your results as I am eager to see how you do.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I launched mine at like 1800 anymore and tires would break loose. I was in 2wd and kept traction control on. In the 1/8 mile i was getting 80mph trap speeds all day

2012 F150 EcoBoost Lariat

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just tried keeping my traction control on in 2wd at a stop light and my rear wheels just started spinning from 1st to 2nd gear. This LMS tune is no joke. 4wd will be my only option at the track tonight.

I've done some research on eco's at my attitude and they seem to lose ~1.3 seconds.

My goal is 13.8

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright so I went to the track finally. Didn't do as well as planned. Altitude certainly makes a big difference. I was at about 6000' I think, maybe a bit higher cuz it was in the foothills

I think temperature played a big role as well because my times kept getting better as it cooled down.

When it was pushing 100° I ran a 15.5
When it dropped to 95° I ran a 15.3

I did a few runs between 15.2 and 15.5 then let my truck cool off.

My last run was against a brand new Camaro. He beat me off the line but I beat him in the 1/4 by .2 seconds. Pretty proud of myself. He had a v8 too. I ran a 15 flat right there.

I had the fastest ecoboost there (only 3 that I saw) and second fastest truck overall (I don't consider lowered Ford lightnings to be trucks).

With it pushing 100° the whole time I was there, I don't think I did bad. I will go back when it is colder and run mid 14s

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Alright so I went to the track finally. Didn't do as well as planned. Altitude certainly makes a big difference. I was at about 6000' I think, maybe a bit higher cuz it was in the foothills

I think temperature played a big role as well because my times kept getting better as it cooled down.

When it was pushing 100° I ran a 15.5
When it dropped to 95° I ran a 15.3

I did a few runs between 15.2 and 15.5 then let my truck cool off.

My last run was against a brand new Camaro. He beat me off the line but I beat him in the 1/4 by .2 seconds. Pretty proud of myself. He had a v8 too. I ran a 15 flat right there.

I had the fastest ecoboost there (only 3 that I saw) and second fastest truck overall (I don't consider lowered Ford lightnings to be trucks).

With it pushing 100° the whole time I was there, I don't think I did bad. I will go back when it is colder and run mid 14s
I honestly don't think it was the altitude. I think it was the heat. Turbos do better at altitude. Your numbers look pretty good and nice win against the camaro.

SPPD

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think they perform better at altitude than they do at sea level. I think there is less of an impact on them at altitude compared to naturally aspirated engines. We have less oxygen in our air here. Not to mention the smell of smoke everywhere u go cuz of the wildfires

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Congratulations on your runs. Give us the info on how you launched and what your 60' times were. That heat is what slowed your truck down. You've seen what a 5 degree drop does wait until the temps are in the 50s/60s. The trucks at sea level make the same amount of boost as the trucks at altitude, your compressors make up for the thinner air. The only time you are behind on performance of a sea level truck is during spool up. And quit hatin' on the Lightnings, they are trucks unlike the Dodge Viper trucks that have no payload and can't be used to tow. Yes it will take some refined skill but you can duplicate sea level times at altitude with a turbo engine

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll look at my times when I get home and report back. I've got a bad ass video of me beating the camaro but it's on facebook and I can't seem to find a way to get it saved to my phone. Any ideas?
I like the lightnings just joking around.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Vehicles running at altitude are usually slower. I believe it has to do with the air density. I know the diesels which are also turbocharged run slower at high altitude also.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Here's a link so you can see some of my times. (if you have not seen it already) I am in South Florida basically at sea level I used to live in Arizona and the elevation sucks to say the least my Mustang was a good half second faster here in Florida then it ever was in Arizona's elevation. Your times are really not that bad for your elevation you are quite a bit higher there than the track that I was at in AZ. And I love the vid :) craziest thing is one of my brothers friends had a friend at the track the night that I went with a Camaro that I also beat once that looked identical to that one.

My goal for my next time out at the track is the high 13s waiting for a nice cool night with low humidity in South Florida during the summer is like waiting for a cool day in hell tho... lol. Okay so maybe not that bad but whatever...

Please excuse the wording on my post I was like a giddy schoolgirl when I got home from the track that night and decided I needed to write the post at that very moment... :eek:
http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/13-f150-ecoboost-performance/648-just-got-home-track.html

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok so here are my times:

60': 2.254
1/8: 9.74

The best part of this video is the camaro got a way better start than me. And I still beat him.

The altitude and the heat are crucial. 100° and 5800'

I'll take a second or so off my 1/4 mile anyday for the extra yards on my driver! Golf out here is sweet

1 - 20 of 22 Posts