F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,612 Posts
Goodluck. I would think that the altitude is going to have little affect on your times. Remember that we aren't limited by atmospheric pressure. Hi altitude is another area where turbos shine. Keep in mind that if two engines make the same power at sea level and one is turbo and one is supercharged or naturally aspirated, if no changes are made the turbo engine will make more power than the other at high altitude. The faster you get your turbos up to full boost while maintaining traction the closer you will come to the time you'd run at sea level. You can actually get good enough at doing that to duplicate sea level times. I think that there is A LOT more in these little turbos than we are currently pulling out of them and altitude won't be a limitation until you start approaching the maximum capabilities of the turbos.

· Registered
1,612 Posts
Do you guys think I should brake launch from 4wd?? If I do, I'll prob go from ~1700 rpm, advance track disabled.
I have no idea. I've never owned a 4WD vehicle so I don't know how abusive of a high-performance launch they can take. The brakes of my GrandNational can hold 5psi of boost before the engine overpowers them. I had to get Mickey Thomson drag radials to launch at that boost level. If our 4WD trucks can take that kind of massive torque dump AKA abuse then your launch would be greatly improved by taxing your traction by launching with as much boost as the brakes/tires can hold. If they are anything performance wise like AWD then by all means launch it as hard as you can. Please report back with your results as I am eager to see how you do.

· Registered
1,612 Posts
Congratulations on your runs. Give us the info on how you launched and what your 60' times were. That heat is what slowed your truck down. You've seen what a 5 degree drop does wait until the temps are in the 50s/60s. The trucks at sea level make the same amount of boost as the trucks at altitude, your compressors make up for the thinner air. The only time you are behind on performance of a sea level truck is during spool up. And quit hatin' on the Lightnings, they are trucks unlike the Dodge Viper trucks that have no payload and can't be used to tow. Yes it will take some refined skill but you can duplicate sea level times at altitude with a turbo engine

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.