F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our local Ram dealers are offering huge incentives on leftover 2018 2500 and 3500s. $12-15k sticker as a start. I love my truck, but the thought of the Cummins torque is enticing. I currently have an 2014 XLT with 90k and have been looking at the Laramies and my wife is getting a bit frustrated. My truck has been paid off for a few years now and as I said, I love my truck, but the thought of upgrading has me second guessing. Anyone else make the switch and regret it?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
If your needs involve “pulling” who could blame you? That said, I see each of the Big 3 offering substantial discounts on year old inventory in our neck of the woods and the types of discounts you mentioned are not uncommon. If you’re not in a hurry make your mind up to do what you are suggesting and rat hole the money you’d be making in payments over the next 12 months. This time next year you’ll see the same type of marketing/deals, have a larger down payment and a year newer vehicle. ;) Just sayin’ never get in a hurry when buying a vehicle.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My truck is a max tow crew 4x4, 6.5' bed, with a payload of 1805 lbs. Most 3/4 tons aren't much above that from what I've seen. 2400 on average. As for pulling, I pull a large dump trailer on occasion, but mostly I need the payload for work. The plan is to get a travel trailer in the next year or two so I'm also just planning ahead. Do I need it now? No. The deals are out there though.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If your needs involve “pulling” who could blame you? That said, I see each of the Big 3 offering substantial discounts on year old inventory in our neck of the woods and the types of discounts you mentioned are not uncommon. If you’re not in a hurry make your mind up to do what you are suggesting and rat hole the money you’d be making in payments over the next 12 months. This time next year you’ll see the same type of marketing/deals, have a larger down payment and a year newer vehicle. ;) Just sayin’ never get in a hurry when buying a vehicle.
Oh I know. Took me 6 months to buy my current truck. I paid it off after 2 years and have had no payment the last 3. It's kind of nice. It's one of those situations where it's a nice to have not a need to have. I threw one dealer an offer and am waiting to hear back. With the 2020s coming out shortly, any 2018 on the lot, if any, will be 2 years old. Definitely not in a hurry on this one. I just like the way the previous generation Rams look vs the new ones.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I was talking only 3/4 ton and up

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
I was scared to even mention I like the new Chevy. I understood your 3/4 ton comment since it’s about that. But I’ll never need one of those so don’t really look at them to much. You can’t miss the GM hood scoop that is awesome looking.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Simple, Dont get a diesel, too much **** to break now days.

Ford is releasing a 7.3 gas, I would get that all day if I needed a SD.
The 6.7 powerstroke and Cummins are both incredibly reliable and (surprisingly for the scorpion) easy to work on. Cab stays on for everything. Parts yes, are expensive though. Turbo's, injectors, HPFP's...

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
The 6.7 powerstroke and Cummins are both incredibly reliable and (surprisingly for the scorpion) easy to work on. Cab stays on for everything. Parts yes, are expensive though. Turbo's, injectors, HPFP's...

The 6.7 is reliable for the most part (built by Ford yay) the fuel systems are VERY sensitive to water and costs a lot to replace it all. I also know early model have turbo failures.

Just think the catalyst injection system alone has it's own tank, heater, snesors, etc. Just too much stuff. No thanks

·
Registered
299 Posts
The 6.7 is reliable for the most part (built by Ford yay) the fuel systems are VERY sensitive to water and costs a lot to replace it all. I also know early model have turbo failures.

Just think the catalyst injection system alone has it's own tank, heater, snesors, etc. Just too much stuff. No thanks
To each their own. I would delete the EGR and DPF immediately on any 2008+ diesel truck personally. Water in fuel is less of an issue than you would think. They have water separators stock, and most diesel enthusiasts run a fuel additive that helps emulsify any suspended water particles. This is coming from a harsh, condensation prone environment too.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I just have to wonder why does a dealer still have NEW 2018 trucks?? Heck, the 2020's will be out soon... Sure, they are going to give a good deal.. Heck, I got over 10,000 off my 2013 when I bought it in Jan of 2014..

But, it's a HD truck, so you just gotta do what you gotta do.. I'd consider it too if I needed an HD truck... But, I really don't need one for what I use my truck for, even for my TT needs now or in the future.

Good luck!

Mitch

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
My 15,000 mile service was $347. I would not drive heavy truck if I didn't think I really needed it. You get all the torque, but you get a lot of extra weight and heavy steering along with it.

I would just stick with the lighter, more nimble truck if I didn't do this with it:
Towing percentage.jpg

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My 15,000 mile service was $347. I would not drive heavy truck if I didn't think I really needed it. You get all the torque, but you get a lot of extra weight and heavy steering along with it.

I would just stick with the lighter, more nimble truck if I didn't do this with it:
View attachment 158842
I do all of my own maintenance on all my vehicles so I'm not too concerned about that. The main driver is getting a vehicle to handle everything I need now and plan to in the future. Could my 14 max tow handle it? Probably, but the additional payload would be the main benefit. As well as the peace of mind of having a heavy duty platform. At the end, I do really like the way the last generation Ram HDs looks and seeing them priced this low is what is causing me to think about it.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
I just have to wonder why does a dealer still have NEW 2018 trucks?? Heck, the 2020's will be out soon... Sure, they are going to give a good deal.. Heck, I got over 10,000 off my 2013 when I bought it in Jan of 2014..

But, it's a HD truck, so you just gotta do what you gotta do.. I'd consider it too if I needed an HD truck... But, I really don't need one for what I use my truck for, even for my TT needs now or in the future.

Good luck!

Mitch
When i was looking for my truck, the 2015’s had already come out and I was looking for either and Ecoboost or Ram Ecodiesel. I found 2013’s on both Ford and Ram lots.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts