F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All right talk me out of it. To much time and to many good deals around. A newer trailer is calling my name.

2018 F150 Screw 4x4
3.5EB 3.55 53B
7000 GVWR
1907 Payload Sticker
Actual Weight CAT - 5040 / NHRA - 5043
7000 Tow Rating (53B)
53A/53C/Police Swaybar Retrofitted

OEM Brake Controller
Husky Centerline TS 800/1200

Grand Design Imagine 2250RK
27' 11" - 6995/7495 GVWR (Date of Manufacture Dependent)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your tow rating should be substantially higher than 7K:

Looks like 10.9K, not that I would ever put that much behind an F150.

The trailer you specified seems well within the capability of your truck, assuming a properly setup WDH.
Base - 5000

Class IV Hitch (53B Medium Trailer Towing Package) - 7000

Trailer Towing Package (53A Heavy Duty Trailer Towing Package) - 10700

Max Towing Package (53C with 17/18" Wheels) - 11700
Max Towing Package (53C with 20" Wheels) - 12700

At least that's what a combination of Owner's Manual and RV &Trailer Tow Guide Charts and Footnotes suggest for a Screw 145 4x4 3.5EB.

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,004 Posts
What is a police swaybar ? Same as a Hellwig or ?

·
Registered
255 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
What is a police swaybar ? Same as a Hellwig or ?
"53A/53C/Police Swaybar"
It's the same solid bar that the 53A (HD Towing Package) and 53C (Max Tow) get. The 53B (Class IV Hitch -Medium Duty Tow Package) got the hollow bar. It's the minimum difference between 53A and 53B packages. On my Trim I would have also have gotten the Pro Trailer Backup Assist and LED Hookup Light. 53B already comes with all the cooling upgrades.

I just couldn't make myself pay $895 for an $80 Swaybar when I was buying the truck (Old price, Ford has almost doubled the price since it became a popular upgrade for 53B Trucks).

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,004 Posts
My Hellwig swaybar was a lot more than $80.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
All right talk me out of it. To much time and to many good deals around. A newer trailer is calling my name.

2018 F150 Screw 4x4
3.5EB 3.55 53B
7000 GVWR
1907 Payload Sticker
Actual Weight CAT - 5040 / NHRA - 5043
7000 Tow Rating (53B)
53A/53C/Police Swaybar Retrofitted

OEM Brake Controller
Husky Centerline TS 800/1200

Grand Design Imagine 2250RK
27' 11" - 6995/7495 GVWR (Date of Manufacture Dependent)
Pull the trigger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I had a nice 22' Prowler TT since 2003 and did a lot of mods to it and it was a really nice trailer, but after 16 years, I finally pulled the trigger on a new rig.. I just paid off the F150, so the wife and I figured we could still make those payments, so we looked for a new rig. Found one that clicked off all the "must haves" and found a dealer that sells the exact model we wanted within 2 miles of our house!

It was a pretty good deal for it too. Plus they gave me $6500 trade on the old Prowler! I paid $14k out the door back in 2003.. My current payment is about $150 less then the truck payment was, so win, win!

Very happy with the new rig and the F150 tows it very well, even thou it's about #2000 heavier and 4' longer than the old one.

So, unless you are already heavy in debt, why not? The only loans I have are the new trailer and the house... No CC debt or anything like that..

Good luck! Mitch

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a nice 22' Prowler TT since 2003 and did a lot of mods to it and it was a really nice trailer, but after 16 years, I finally pulled the trigger on a new rig.. I just paid off the F150, so the wife and I figured we could still make those payments, so we looked for a new rig. Found one that clicked off all the "must haves" and found a dealer that sells the exact model we wanted within 2 miles of our house!

It was a pretty good deal for it too. Plus they gave me $6500 trade on the old Prowler! I paid $14k out the door back in 2003.. My current payment is about $150 less then the truck payment was, so win, win!

Very happy with the new rig and the F150 tows it very well, even thou it's about #2000 heavier and 4' longer than the old one.

So, unless you are already heavy in debt, why not? The only loans I have are the new trailer and the house... No CC debt or anything like that..

Good luck! Mitch
I think I'm in reasonable shape. I'm in a position I could write a check to clear my debts without undue hardship.

1. Business is Free and Clear.

2. I'm doing okay with my retirement accounts (Even better with the recent buying opportunity).

4. Owe 3 years on my PU at 2.69%.

5. Have a $399 a Month Lease on a Lincoln MKX that I supply my elderly Mom (Lives in my Mother-in-law's Suite) to drive. She handles some bookwork for my business so it's the least I could do.

6. Owe less than 30% of Tax Value of the house with 7 years @ 2.75% Remaining.

7. No Dependents unless you count my Mom and she is well provided for if the unthinkable happens.

Unless the finance rate is really persuasive I will likely just write a check for the travel trailer. (I have a hard time spending my money when loans are barely over par with inflation).

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
Interest rates aren’t the greatest. Just write the check and get it over with, like I usually do or get the loan and pay it off within 6 months

Reactions: TOWMA8R

·
Registered
2,196 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
The only issue I see is the propensity to want to upgrade. This mostly affects older people who have the resources to do so. However in retrospect it makes a travel trailer purchase a waste of time and money. In other words if you're older, you may be better served by getting a class C or class A if you're really into camping/traveling or skipping it altogether and just using VRBO or a rental/hotel. You have to consider your age and the dedication you have towards going out and doing things. You can visit a lot more exotic places on 30K and not have to worry about maintenance, storage, etc. Just depends where you are in life. For example, if you were younger, with mortgage rates so low I could see putting some of your liquidity into a rental property. Home prices are facing huge downward pressure in a lot of areas and rates are at record lows for purchase.

"Owe less than 30% of Tax Value of the house with 7 years @ 2.75% Remaining." = This is meaningless. How much more do you owe on the loan over what term? Also all I see in that list is what your liabilities are. I don't know what your income stream is, (not asking for you to declare,) but assume this goes away completely - What is the outlook then? You seem very independent with very little dependent responsibilities, which is good, but if you lost all your income stream how will that impact your current lifestyle by having to drawn on current resources?

Reactions: Mr B

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Gene. Sounds like you have your plan and it sounds good to me! I got the lowest interest rate for a new rv with my credit union (4.49%) at the time, so felt okay with that. With the trade and a good size down, it brought the balance down by almost half out the door.

So, just sounds like you have to do the next part! What'ca gonna do? :)

Mitch

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
The wife and I toyed with purchasing a nice lot to put a travel trailer/5th wheel on and or vacation home, but we get restless too fast-lol
Need to be able to tow our travel palace where and when we want to!
Not big on the C Class or Diesel Pushers as you have to pull a grocery getter behind it.....I'd rather unhook the Boost and run errons-Waaaay more fun- you know social distancing inferior 1/2 tons & diesels
Besides I love the looks I get when pulling into a campground-lol
20200418_151026.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The only issue I see is the propensity to want to upgrade. This mostly affects older people who have the resources to do so. However in retrospect it makes a travel trailer purchase a waste of time and money. In other words if you're older, you may be better served by getting a class C or class A if you're really into camping/traveling or skipping it altogether and just using VRBO or a rental/hotel. You have to consider your age and the dedication you have towards going out and doing things.
Don't start with the Motorhomes. All I hear from Tiffin is how I need to buy one of his overpriced coaches.

·
Premium Member
6,889 Posts
The wife and I toyed with purchasing a nice lot to put a travel trailer/5th wheel on and or vacation home, but we get restless too fast-lol
Need to be able to tow our travel palace where and when we want to!
Not big on the C Class or Diesel Pushers as you have to pull a grocery getter behind it.....I'd rather unhook the Boost and run errons-Waaaay more fun- you know social distancing inferior 1/2 tons & diesels
Besides I love the looks I get when pulling into a campground-lol View attachment 166751

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
I'm kinda old. Or I sure feeeeel old some mornings. But I AIN'T a Class A or C guy either, unless they had an affordable Class C Toy hauler and I could fit the Miata and a SideXside in it. Lol

My problem is I LOVE Travel Trailers and 5th Wheels and want one for every possible "mission". Sometimes a quick and spontaneous run for an overnight on the beach (Teardrop-ready to go in 2 minutes), or a weekend at that same beach, with the kids and a beachmobile (SideXside), which calls for the toy hauler. Or, I just wanna head out for a loooooong itenerary-less jaunt across the country and maybe stay weeks at a time if I come across one of those perfect settings. (that would require the 5th I haven't found yet, and possibly the tow-truck I don't currently own)
And then there's the one I actually live in, which can't be towed because it's over its GVWR, as a result of...... Well, living in it!

I think my next move is to find that 5th, and instead of committing to a proper Dually to yank it with, I will just go park it full time in Rockport, or somewhere near Padre Island, and then have a place I can get-away, without even towing! I'd keep the kayaks there and get one designed to sleep a bunch of urchins, and Wallah! A beach house for the kids!

I'm an RV junkie, at heart. Hillbilly genetics, I figure.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts