F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally some competition to stir the stagnate, planned obsolescence auto industry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
729 Posts
Basically vaporware right now, the tri-motor doesn't come out till late 2022 (if then), and it's perhaps the ugliest "vehicle" ever proposed. Pass.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I feel like if I tried to drive that around NW PW I’d be laughed off the edge of this flat Earth.

I love the stats though. I want to build a tiny home around this platform maybe. Then I wanna live on the road a bit. I’ll get all my internet off of Skynet or whatever they are calling his satellite internet. Camp out in exotic locations with all that electricity to use to power everything I need to be comfortable. We are on the verge of a magnificent era if we can avoid poisoning the planet and upsetting the balance of every cycle of life and all dying together slowly and painfully as a collective series of connected life forms.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wonder if much of the design of this truck that we see which appears strange aesthetically, is due to these fellows, as engineers, trying to come up with a design which is optimized for automated assembly.

Matching and joining curved and complex planes using robots and CNC is still difficult to produce because of floating variances in tooling life cycles. Much of this design speaks to me as keeping things simple stupid.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hard Pass IMO I am much more interested in the rivian truck (especially due to fords involvement with them)

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Looks like Nissan Titan reject, err.... engineer design team-used with Delorean parts?
Screenshot_20191025-210710_Google.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Picking on the class leader :p

Pretty poor attempt at it if you ask me. 2WD truck and what looks to be a rolling start. Obviously the CT has the torque though and I'm definitely not saying it couldn't do the same to a 4WD.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Definitely seems more like a "commuter truck" like the lower end fords which aren't built for payload. Bed is like a Chevy Avalanche which only works marginally well for a work truck. The high sides really hinder the beds' use. At least they don't have the step or 5 way tailgate. Tesla should really partner with companies who have superior designs/functionality, cause their platform is definitely a butt kicker when you stomp it.

I was hoping to see some information on payload vs. decrease in distance. The numbers they threw out there are likely an empty truck with a single passenger. Would you even get 100 miles if you were pulling at max tow?

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Picking on the class leader :p

Pretty poor attempt at it if you ask me. 2WD truck and what looks to be a rolling start. Obviously the CT has the torque though and I'm definitely not saying it couldn't do the same to a 4WD.
Yeah, that video is pathetic. Also, pretty much any truck these days could probably produce enough torque to spin the wheels if you were really trying. These tug-o-war videos are more about who has the most traction and mass.

Everyone's favorite complaint about modern trucks is how tall the bed sides are and how you cannot reach into the bed anymore unless you are 7' tall. Well, we have a new record holder. You now have to be 8' tall.

Definitely seems more like a "commuter truck" like the lower end fords which aren't built for payload. Bed is like a Chevy Avalanche which only works marginally well for a work truck. The high sides really hinder the beds' use. At least they don't have the step or 5 way tailgate. Tesla should really partner with companies who have superior designs/functionality, cause their platform is definitely a butt kicker when you stomp it.

I was hoping to see some information on payload vs. decrease in distance. The numbers they threw out there are likely an empty truck with a single passenger. Would you even get 100 miles if you were pulling at max tow?
This is the inherent problem with the electric trucks right now. They are great on paper but put them in a real world scenario and things start to get less great, fast. What happens when you hook a trailer up to go camping? Or even just towing a boat a couple hours to the lake?

As you said, the range is probably not great and when you get to where you are going, what do you do? My guess is you arn't gunna have Tesla Superchargers at your camp site or even near it if you are truly camping. So what, you bring a generator? And then you burn just as much gasoline recharging the battery as you would have burnt just driving a gas powered truck in the first place? And on a small engine with no emissions equipment at that. . . . .

These trucks are the epitome of what non-truck drivers make fun of when they see some dude driving to the office in their F150 pavement princess. The people who drive them will be the people who don't need a damn truck in the first place. But it will be ok because they are electric and are saving the world.

I am not saying there is no future for electric truck, one day there will be and it will be awesome, but they are not ready for widespread use yet. I really think what needs to happen is that they produce a plug-in electric driven truck with a small diesel hooked to a generator. Optimize the diesel for a very specific, constant RPM and insane efficiency and produce around 150hp. That way, when you are cruising, the diesel can provide enough power to "float" the batteries or power the motors directly. You get the tow range range you want with a highly efficient engine but can still utilize batteries for your day to day runs to the grocery store or driving the kids around. This is something I would sign up for.

·
Premium Member
5,936 Posts
I always choose my truck purchases based on Tug-a-war outcomes.

Just common sense tells you that's the best truck. Right?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I always choose my truck purchases based on Tug-a-war outcomes.

Just common sense tells you that's the best truck. Right?

No, the Raptor is always the best at everything truck.

If you cannot afford one then the it comes down to the tug-o-war.

·
Premium Member
5,936 Posts
No, the Raptor is always the best at everything truck.

If you cannot afford one then the it comes down to the tug-o-war.
Actually, what makes the Raptor the best at what it IS the best at, makes it pathetic at what I just couldn't live with. (RV towing)

But it'd be THE truck to tow behind my Provost Class A someday. Lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts