F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guess I can start my own build thread and start putting my ideas on paper.

I bought my 2013 FX4 in June. Most I have ever spent on a vehicle. And it will probably be the last truck I buy for a VERY long time.

Since I drive a company car during the week, my FX4 is a weekend warrior. It will never go to the track, other then to sit in the parking lot and spectate. I will be building it up for reliability and function with a little ascetics thrown in. It is my truck, so I want it to look how I want it to look and run how I want it to run.

My build will be slow and methodical. I tend to be wishy washy about what I spend my hard earned money on. Especially when it comes to dropping thousands of dollars on items (AMR intercooler kit or Rigid Lightbars). I have decided to slow myself to a crawl and take my time making decisions by limiting myself to $100 a month into a separate account for my FX4. When I have the money saved for something I want, IF I still want it I will get it.

So far I have allowed myself to splurge a little. I have installed a RX dual valve catch can. And I found a good deal on a AFE CAI. Other then that I have put in a cover in the CAC hole and a 14 inch off road antenna. My next purchase I think will be a programmer and tunes. Undecided on who's tunes right now. I know I am going with a SCT tuner because they are so versatile.

Piece by piece I will slow build my FX4 into the truck I want to drive for the next however long. Hope to entertain everybody at least mildly along the way.

OkieFX4 a.k.a. Kevin

Day 1.jpeg RX can.jpeg CAC hole.jpeg Antenna.jpeg AFE CAI.jpeg Tint.jpeg

·
Registered
475 Posts
Lookin' good Kevin. The new Gen2 SSI tunes are smooooooth.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bruce. Looking forward to unlocking the engine. Just need to decide on how. I like the additional warranty that Stage 3 offers with the 5* tunes. Might be the "safe" way to go for the time being. Time will tell. Just need to save, save, save...

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
We have several vendors here that can assist you with your build and prices. Many of them offer special pricing to members.

The SCT would be the best tuning route.
Leading Edge Tuning (LET) does their own in house tuning and is very popular among this board. They are also a supporting vendor of this forum and Erick is a very active poster.
Unleashed is a vendor here and comes from a man who has been tuning for many, many years. He tuned Mike B's 600+ hp Ecoboost Flex.
5 star is carried by stage3motorsports, who is also a vendor. 5* is mostly known for their great towing files.
More Power Tuning (MPT) is very popular and currently holds (unless it's changed) the fastest ecoboost. I'd say they're mostly popular in the performance world.

Tuning is is a very important decision. If highly recommend you do tons of research before you commit to any company. Find out reviews and customer service. Many people here will give you their opinions of certain companies but I won't give mine..

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tuning is is a very important decision. If highly recommend you do tons of research before you commit to any company. Find out reviews and customer service. Many people here will give you their opinions of certain companies but I won't give mine..
Thanks for the input KC. I have been tearing apart the forum(s) and trying to learn as much as I can before I pull the trigger.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Build LIst

Here is my basic build list right now. Since it is going to take a lot of time I am sure it will evolve and adapt over time.

Front Push Bar
Rear replacement bumper
CAC Upgrade (really liking the AMR kit)
Upgrade Throttle Body - Either the BBK or the new one that Tuner Boosted is working on
SCT Programmer - Tuner TBD
Exhaust upgrade - Thinking catless downpipe and a twister resonator right with the stock muffler (subject to change)
Transmission Pan
Differential Covers
Boost Guage
Dual temp guage for inlet and outlet of CAC
Spray in bed liner
Massive forward lighting of some sort
Bedcover
Bed lights
Additional reverse lights

·
Registered
96 Posts
Nice truck buddy.... Im in the same bucket you are as TRYING to put back some money after bills but it hard. bills just keep coming and wont stop lol. im tuned in to see the final product!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice truck buddy.... Im in the same bucket you are as TRYING to put back some money after bills but it hard. bills just keep coming and wont stop lol. im tuned in to see the final product!
Thanks. Well then you are in it for the long haul! It is going to take time. But dollar by dollar it will get done.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do I:

A - Keep saving for my programmer
or
B - Get in on the ground floor with the new ported TB from RexExtreme

The TB would effectively set me back to zero in the build fund. But the price is great and the results are looking amazing. I don't want to lose the opportunity. But maybe I should wait for the final numbers. It is only a few more days till the 1st of the month and another $100 goes into the build fund. Lol

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Do I:

A - Keep saving for my programmer
or
B - Get in on the ground floor with the new ported TB from RexExtreme

The TB would effectively set me back to zero in the build fund. But the price is great and the results are looking amazing. I don't want to lose the opportunity. But maybe I should wait for the final numbers. It is only a few more days till the 1st of the month and another $100 goes into the build fund. Lol
TB do any good untuned?

How much will you save by buying it now vs later?

I'd personally vote keep saving for tuner

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TB do any good untuned?

How much will you save by buying it now vs later?

I'd personally vote keep saving for tuner
The gains are approx 8 -10 hp over stock un-tuned. No clue how much potential a tune will give it. They are still testing it.

Right now with the core charge dropped to $100 I would be saving $100. No clue how much the prices might go up over time. The BBK is $300 and the Ported TB is $265 before the core refund.

I want my programmer bad. I know it is the lynch pin of the whole performance side of my build. Wishy washy wishy washy....

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After a review of the build fund and a game of beer pong with my priorities it has been decided that due to the cost off ammunition we will not be playing Russian roulette for the answers to our questions.

Going to stay the course and keep saving for my programmer. It will give me a chance see how the new throttle body from RevEx truly preforms.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Programmer and tunes will give you more power than all the rest of the mods put together.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My clean side separator from RX came in over the weekend. Finally took the time to look it over and out it in place today. Could not figure out a way to get clean air from the AFE CAI without drilling holes in metal. Not high on my list of things to do. So I went done to O'Reileys and found a little filter to go on to the end of the inlet. So basically a mix between off-road and clean side. Whatever gets the job done right?

image.jpg image.jpg

I also took a page from a few other members and decided to throw some paint on my engine cover. Here is a couple pics of the first coat. Letting it set up real good before I go over it again.

image.jpg image.jpg

Not it bad for a couple hours before work. And some little projects that don't cost too much to help me feel like I am getting stuff done while I save up for the bigger purchases.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I'm doing the same thing ($200 a month). Saving up for my bilstein adjustable shocks, then rear 5100 shocks, then OEM black headlight($120 off ebay) and parts to retrofit projectors. Thinking about doing catless DPs in the future as well.

You have a nice build going!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts