F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...I love my 3.5 ecoboost fast as hell Ford F150 truck. Do I abuse it...NO! But I thought about getting a tuner for my truck just to add some more horsepower and torque. Do I tow...NO...do I race it...No! I just drive it to work, Lowes, or Kroger and have fun with it...but wanted to know is it worth getting a tune? Which one? Will it screw up my engine? Which company is the best? Or has the best customer service? I'm confused brother...need some help!

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Ok...I love my 3.5 ecoboost fast as hell Ford F150 truck. Do I abuse it...NO! But I thought about getting a tuner for my truck just to add some more horsepower and torque. Do I tow...NO...do I race it...No! I just drive it to work, Lowes, or Kroger and have fun with it...but wanted to know is it worth getting a tune? Which one? Will it screw up my engine? Which company is the best? Or has the best customer service? I'm confused brother...need some help!
SCT handheld for the win.
Sounds like you'd be happy with just a canned tune since you don't have any specific wants.

I'm biast, but Erick, at LET, gets all of my money.

Unleashed is another supporting vendor and gets plenty of praise.

Stage 3 and 5 Star have a great deal if you want to purchase a warranty.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
^ that about sums it up

is it worth it, if you think an extra 100tq to the wheels is worth $500.

Will it wreck your engine, that is a loaded question. The tunes are generally safe, but extra pressure can expose a manufacturing flaw. Doesn't happen too often but it does happen. Almost as often as stock engines do.

Do your research, lots of good info on this forum.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
I am going to say this, once you get your programmer, tunes are one of your cheapest investments. I say "try them all"! Only by trying a couple of different tuners do you get learn the differences. Heck, you may even be able to go back to the other tuners and have them "tweak it" for you.

To be honest, few tunes are truly custom. Most tuners have a "tune" for a similar vehicle to yours and then tweak it (or they should) to match your likes and dislikes. This can include, the amount of tip-in (or how much you push on the gas pedal for the vehicle to take off ... some are touchy, others are almost dead), the firmness of the shifting, the rpms your engine upshifts, the amount of boost and tweaking for the fuel in your area ... trust me, your favorite fuel may say "93 Octane" ... but it may not behave like 93 Octane due to sales volumes ... and how old the gas is sitting in the tanks.

Other things about different tuners can include response time. Some charge you extra if you want "quick guaranteed response time". Others do not. Most will toss in a tune (or discount it) if you are buying parts from them too.

To be honest, WOT performance for the major tuners are fairly close between them all within a tenth or two ... unless you are willing to accept certain risks (such as "overboost" and high spark advance). That is why some tuners, like 5* (which do a great tow tune from what people write) even offer a warranty. 5* is more powerful than stock but doesn't take risk ... so they give their own warranty ... in case Ford denies your warranty claim.

I personally prefer Unleashed because it is not only one of the most powerful tunes out there ... but it has the best part-throttle driveability for my area (very mountainous) ... damn near stock-like. This was something that most of the other tuners could not match. My area is tough for people to tune part-throttle. And 99% of the time, I am just putting around, so part-throttle matters to me. I am only a 1%er when I am passing someone on many of the two lane roads where I live. And for WOT Unleash is right up there with the any of the other fast tunes at the track (if that is your fancy).

LET, which is in Houston does "dyno tuning" to my knowledge and that type of tune will typically find the most power from your tune. So if you are in the Houston area (or plan a trip) ... it may be something to consider.

But, for the $100 or so most tuners charge ... I recommend giving all of the tuners that sponsor this site a chance and find the tuner that best matches your driving style.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
Why not recommend both?
O I was wondering if the OP was actually asking which tuner device like

SCT
DIABLO
SuperChips
I'm not sure what else there is

OR
Which guy to program the device?

SCT
MPT
5*
LET
Etc

Sent from my silver iPad Air 1 in a http://www.red.org/en/ smart case using an app called Tapatalky

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
I would HP Tuner for Programmers (very popular in the GM world and just recently for the F150 Ecoboost) and Unleashed for tuners ...

·
Banned
7 Posts
Diablo for stock tune. Sct for aftermarket tune.
could you suggest specific model? I've read several reviews about ecoboost tuners for F150, e.g. but it's like an embarrassment of riches. The to tell the truth the link I mentioned about contains good pick.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
could you suggest specific model? I've read several, but it's like an embarrassment of riches.
WE need to know what truck you drive first eg: year and engine and what you want out of the tune.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
One of the things most don't consider is the transferability of a tuner. If you trade your vehicle in on a new vehicle, will your tuner be transferable to the new vehicle. It has been my experience that some are not. Livernois is one of them. The last time I checked, they don't yet have a tuner for the '17 3.5 EB either. Another thing to consider is the addition of a CAI or other mod upgrades. You want to make sure your tunes are compatible and can be upgraded with these new parts. I need to call SC for this very reason as I just added a CAI to my truck. You can have problems.

Another thing to consider is, do you want your tuner to be more than just a tuner. Do you want it to also monitor engine functions, codes, tire sizes , gear changes and what not. I have a SC Dashpaq for this reason. There are other tuners out their that offer these features as well. Not everyone wants one of these because they may have another method such as Forscan lite that will function as an engine function monitor.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Hello
I'd recommend SCT X4 701 and Edge Products Evolution
Please, read my article Links Deleted (please free to post your information minus any commercial links to this site) where I did a detailed review on each
Id be great to read you feedbacks about it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts