F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Lariat Supercrew 4x4 157 Max Tow
389 Posts
I have Forscan with a Windows laptop. I have an OBDLink MX+ Adapter. Use torque or the other free apps. Also have a cheaper Mac reader. Need to know how to use it or it ain’t worth anything.

·
Premium Member
17 Lariat Supercrew 4x4 157 Max Tow
389 Posts
Access to good scanners seems to be dependent on auto brand. We are lucky with Ford that there is Forscan and that it seems like Ford releases there PID's to the public so that some of the 3rd party apps and scanners have the ability to do some decent scanning. Toyota seems similar too. Also you can get Techstream for Toyota's which is their equivalent to Ford IDS or FDRS.

My Jeep Liberty, OTOH, was an absolute nightmare. Very few scanners had access to the OEM level PID's and you were basically using the standard SAE PID's for everything. You couldn't program new injectors or do virtually anything unless you went with something like super high end Snap-On scan tool. Eventually Launch Diagun scanners could do it but you were still having to spend $500 for one.

I think GM is similar. I know my dad has a hard time with his Saab 9-7x(rebadged Trailblazer). He can't datalog or access any higher level stuff.
GM is getting better but there computer based scanners aren’t nearly as good as ours or as cheap.

Reactions: Boatwaco
1 - 2 of 2 Posts