F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that are running an airbag setup on the F150 to improve towing/hauling, would you mind taking the time to post a quick review of the brand your running, costs, installation etc?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Also any one have issues in cold weather with their airbags?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Summer's coming, want to get some to pull around the toy hauler. Did fine last year towing but sold little quad and upgraded to a rzr s. added about 700lbs to the package. look forward to some good info.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just installed firestone ride rite air bags sand man they are great leveled my truck out and a good ride I'm pulling a 29ft tt 7700 lbs

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I just traded my 08 f150 for my 'boost. The '08 had 3.73 and a 6.5' box. I had the firestone ride rite airbags in it and loved them. I live in North Dakota and they were on the rig in temps from -45 to +100 degrees and for 3 years. It took a bit for the connections to stop leaking air (about 2 months). After they quit leaking they were great. The biggest benefit was seen when we had the flooding issues in Bismarck. I was able to run 80lbs in my tires (E-rated Yokahamas) and 80 lbs in the bags. Two of the super dutys on the block had 35 to 40 sand bags in the box and were squatted HARD! I had 60 to 65 sandbags in my half ton and wasnt squatted as hard. Both the super duties now have bags. I know for all the people out there that say I was over the payload.......yada...........yada. Well when your house is on the line you do what it takes. Great product in the bags, and damn I miss that truck. Wish I could have afforded em both.

Reactions: fx4 4fun

·
Registered
589 Posts
I just traded my 08 f150 for my 'boost. The '08 had 3.73 and a 6.5' box. I had the firestone ride rite airbags in it and loved them. I live in North Dakota and they were on the rig in temps from -45 to +100 degrees and for 3 years. It took a bit for the connections to stop leaking air (about 2 months). After they quit leaking they were great. The biggest benefit was seen when we had the flooding issues in Bismarck. I was able to run 80lbs in my tires (E-rated Yokahamas) and 80 lbs in the bags. Two of the super dutys on the block had 35 to 40 sand bags in the box and were squatted HARD! I had 60 to 65 sandbags in my half ton and wasnt squatted as hard. Both the super duties now have bags. I know for all the people out there that say I was over the payload.......yada...........yada. Well when your house is on the line you do what it takes. Great product in the bags, and damn I miss that truck. Wish I could have afforded em both.
That is good to hear thanks for the info... And I am with you better to be able to more than not especially when life, limb, or house is on the line lol! I'm looking forward to bagging my truck as I am always hauling heavy payloads

·
Registered
152 Posts
what was the $$$ on those firestones? where is the best place to put the air chucks? or do they come with there own compressor?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I bought the firestone ride rite air bags on ebay last week and paid $337 no tax and free shipping. I ordered them on tuesday morning and had them at my door on wednesday. They were easy to install took about 1.5 hours and I ran the air lines to the top of the rear license plate holes. No holes to drill it was a very easy installation. I haven't pulled my toy hauler yet but I loved the firestone bags on my 2002 super duty and never had a problem with them in 11 years.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I combined my air lines and ran them to the small gap that is available under the gas cap. I had a friend run them out to the license plate brackett. He didn't have a backup camera and hit the schrader valve to fill the bags and broke it. It took him about a week to get the ambition to replace it. I didn't have a camera in that pickup either so I ran them up to the gas cap area. It worked pretty slick.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I was looking at the FireStone Ride Rite and was also considering the Auto level set-up. Just wondering if it is worth the extra to have and how the additional hardware would hold up. Seems like the bags are not a issue and the lines either...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Guys, can you comment on any change / improvement in trailer bounce wiht the air rides? I am making another big pull to SD this summer and had a few stretches of concrete highway that really bounced bad due to harmonics. Wondering if the air rides can dampen that? Also would like to know how the air rides affect the ride quality when you are not loaded? How much pressure do you run in the bags without a trailer load?

If any of you are familiar with Hwy 29 between Wausau and Chippewa Falls WI that is about as bad of a bounce as I have ever dealt with. Also had a few bouncy spots on Hwy 94 between Menominie and St Paul.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Guys, can you comment on any change / improvement in trailer bounce wiht the air rides? I am making another big pull to SD this summer and had a few stretches of concrete highway that really bounced bad due to harmonics. Wondering if the air rides can dampen that? Also would like to know how the air rides affect the ride quality when you are not loaded? How much pressure do you run in the bags without a trailer load?

If any of you are familiar with Hwy 29 between Wausau and Chippewa Falls WI that is about as bad of a bounce as I have ever dealt with. Also had a few bouncy spots on Hwy 94 between Menominie and St Paul.
Yake, I went the Roadmaster Active Suspension instead of air bags. I didn't want to have to mess with a pressure adjustments all the time. I still have not had a chance to really give the RAS a good test yet. Yes, I have traveled that strech of I-94 on my way to son's place near Minneapolis. I have only done it once while pulling the trailer and that was with my F-350 (prior to the Boostie) I don't remember it being any roughier than any other part of the highway.

·
Registered
28 Posts
They will stop some of the bounce, as they don't allow the suspension compress as much due to the stiffness. However, they will still oscillate some since your shocks control rebound and damping.

I highly recommend a shock upgrade if you haven't already. The stickers suck for towing. Mine are worn out with only 17k miles and 6k of that towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts