F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm writing this as a warning to people considering the 2.7, and I wish there had been more information available when I purchased mine.

I bought the truck pre-owned with 22k miles, and as a long time Chevy owner I was blown away with the performance, looks, room, and overall quality of the truck. For the first year, everything went very smoothly. I put about 20k miles on it as I had a 30 mile commute. At 44k, I started hearing what sounded like a boost leak, so I took it in to my local (Oklahoma City area) Ford dealer to have it checked out under warranty. This is the part where everything started going off the rails.

I was never told what the actual failure was, but the dealer stated that they could not repair the truck under warranty as it had been originally registered and sold in Canada (news to me). They then told me that there was a TSB that covered the issue and that Ford treated TSBs like a warranty - even after the original warranty expired. I know now that that is entirely false. They then ordered the parts to perform the repairs under TSB 18-2237, which is essentially a full engine rebuild minus a new block. While they had the engine out, they dropped it off an engine stand and cracked something. I never got a straight answer as to what it was, but they did at least tell me and replace it. All seemed well when I picked the truck up.

The next day, driving home from work, it majorly overheated and put me on the side of the turnpike. Had it towed back to Ford, where they told me it was a simple mistake and that a hose clamp had not been tightened properly. They told me that if anything came up to let them know.

Everything went smoothly for another few months. I started noticing a lot of steam coming from the exhaust, but with the weather getting colder I didn't think much of it.

In April of 2021, roughly 7 months after the repairs had been done, the fuel pump relay went out. I was able to fix it myself while waiting 3 hours on a tow truck in my driveway. Steam was still present.

In May of 2021, I had my first misfire code. I took it to a local shop, as I have moved and don't trust the Ford dealer close to me. It was diagnosed as a bad coil and repaired. Steam was still present, but no codes after the coil was replaced.

In June of 2021, I had the second misfire code. I took it to a different shop on my way home from work, it was diagnosed as an EGR valve and replaced. 4 days later, the code is back. I took it back to the shop who promptly sat on it for 2 weeks and told me that the part they repaired was fine and they would need more diagnostic time to check into it. I picked the truck up, as I'm almost positive that they misdiagnosed the issue the first time. I took it to a friend who's been a lifelong mechanic, and he noticed that the coolant was low. He checked the codes and came to the conclusion that either it was a headgasket or cracked/ warped head with the amount of steam coming out of the exhaust.

At this point, I got in touch with the dealer that had originally repaired the truck. I had been told that their repair warranty was 12 months regardless of mileage, but when I called they completely shut that down and refused to even diagnose the truck. I called around to a few other dealers, and found one that was willing to take the case to Ford and see if they would stand by the Ford repair warranty. I dropped the truck off with them.

No surprise, Ford refused after 3 months. The dealer quoted me over $10k to rebuild the engine for the second time. I had the dealer put the truck back together at my expense and towed it to my local shop as I trust them. We have settled on a used engine swap, to the tune for $4700.00 for now. I'm keeping the original engine as a spare or backup, though I will likely just pack it with tanerite and send it to the moon.

I now own a very nice and very expensive boat anchor. I'm roughly halfway through the note, but I'm stuck with it. The devaluation of having a used engine installed will make it to where I can no longer sell it to get out of it, and I'm sure will affect my trade in value enough to cause me to avoid it. I'm toying with the idea of buying a Mazda 20B to see which unreliable engine I can get the most mileage out of.

/rant.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Wow. OK.
How many other Ecoboost engines have you had ?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I'm writing this as a warning to people considering the 2.7, and I wish like hell there had been more information available when I purchased mine.

I bought the truck pre-owned with 22k miles, and as a long time Chevy owner I was blown away with the performance, looks, room, and overall quality of the truck. For the first year, everything went very smoothly. I put about 20k miles on it as I had a 30 mile commute. At 44k, I started hearing what sounded like a boost leak, so I took it in to my local (Oklahoma City area) Ford dealer to have it checked out under warranty. This is the part where everything started going off the rails.

I was never told what the actual failure was, but the dealer stated that they could not repair the truck under warranty as it had been originally registered and sold in Canada (news to me). They then told me that there was a TSB that covered the issue and that Ford treated TSBs like a warranty - even after the original warranty expired. I know now that that is entirely false. They then ordered the parts to perform the repairs under TSB 18-2237, which is essentially a full engine rebuild minus a new block. While they had the engine out, they dropped it off an engine stand and cracked something. I never got a straight answer as to what it was, but they did at least tell me and replace it. All seemed well when I picked the truck up.

The next day, driving home from work, it majorly overheated and put me on the side of the turnpike. Had it towed back to Ford, where they told me it was a simple mistake and that a hose clamp had not been tightened properly. They told me that if anything came up to let them know.

Everything went smoothly for another few months. I started noticing a lot of steam coming from the exhaust, but with the weather getting colder I didn't think much of it.

In April of 2021, roughly 7 months after the repairs had been done, the fuel pump relay went out. I was able to fix it myself while waiting 3 hours on a tow truck in my driveway. Steam was still present.

In May of 2021, I had my first misfire code. I took it to a local shop, as I have moved and don't trust the Ford dealer close to me. It was diagnosed as a bad coil and repaired. Steam was still present, but no codes after the coil was replaced.

In June of 2021, I had the second misfire code. I took it to a different shop on my way home from work, it was diagnosed as an EGR valve and replaced. 4 days later, the code is back. I took it back to the shop who promptly sat on it for 2 weeks and told me that the part they repaired was fine and they would need more diagnostic time to check into it. I picked the truck up, as I'm almost positive that they misdiagnosed the issue the first time. I took it to a friend who's been a lifelong mechanic, and he noticed that the coolant was low. He checked the codes and came to the conclusion that either it was a headgasket or cracked/ warped head with the amount of steam coming out of the exhaust.

At this point, I got in touch with the dealer that had originally repaired the truck. I had been told that their repair warranty was 12 months regardless of mileage, but when I called they completely shut that down and refused to even diagnose the truck. I called around to a few other dealers, and found one that was willing to take the case to Ford and see if they would stand by the Ford repair warranty. I dropped the truck off with them.

No surprise, Ford refused after 3 months. The dealer quoted me over $10k to rebuild the engine for the second time. I had the dealer put the truck back together at my expense and towed it to my local shop as I trust them. We have settled on a used engine swap, to the tune for $4700.00 for now. I'm keeping the original engine as a spare or backup, though I will likely just pack it with tanerite and send it to the moon.

I now own a very nice and very expensive boat anchor. I'm roughly halfway through the note, but I'm stuck with it. The devaluation of having a used engine installed will make it to where I can no longer sell it to get out of it, and I'm sure will affect my trade in value enough to cause me to avoid it. I'm toying with the idea of buying a Mazda 20B to see which unreliable engine I can get the most mileage out of.

/rant.
You joined just to complain like a toddler...great. byeeee

·
Moderstrator
3,735 Posts
You simply may have got a dud. It happens, it happens with every manufacturer. Can't really say what happened during the first owner's reign either. It's too bad this happened. That said, if this is the only criteria you have for dissing a brand in its entirety well... you already know how this will play out on any forum with a member that joins simply to say I'm leaving.

·
Registered
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat Screw 5.5' | 3.5 Eco | 4x4 3.55 Max Tow | 33's, Edge CS2, Kicker PowerStage
200 Posts
Very sorry to hear of your awful luck with this motor! I can understand the catharsis from sharing with the Ford community and the hope to help others. I hope something positive works out for you.

That said and oddly enough, the 2.7 is widely considered the more reliable and robust F150 motor; very few problems.

Buying used is always a gamble. My default assumption for recent year low mile used cars is that there’s a reason their back on the market. I look for 2 or 3 year lease returns confirmed via Car Fax, and have been lucky with very high mile, older single owner cars.

That coupled with what you unfortunately learned about there being just short of a full rebuild during the first owners stewardship is unfortunate.

I believe that when an engine goes in for that invasive of service, especially by a dealer, it doesn’t go back together quite as well as it should.

But more optimistically, how sure are you that a new engine is the only path?

Reports of steam can be confused with normal condensation in colder seasons, especially in these motors.

Improper refilling and burping of the cooling systems is common.

And coil failure is also reasonably common-ish and a straightforward fix.

Double sure a new engine is required??

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat Screw 5.5' | 3.5 Eco | 4x4 3.55 Max Tow | 33's, Edge CS2, Kicker PowerStage
200 Posts
Also is it just me or have an atypical amount of 2.7 problems popped up around here lately???

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost 3.55 Axle
1,181 Posts
Also is it just me or have an atypical amount of 2.7 problems popped up around here lately???
Well maybe so. Aside from the cylinder head issue that is a known TSB problem, my truck has had no issues whatsoever. Even though it was burning oil with that cylinder head issue, it always started up and never left me stranded.

·
Premium Member
2017 F150 XL 2WD 2.7, with some extra stuff!
1,066 Posts
3 2.7's in my family 2016 80000+ 2017 48000+ 2019 just under 30000. Not a single problem among them.

Sounds more like a poor choice of dealership, even after having doubts it was serviced there. KM

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
So, ignoring the fact that you might be a troll (how many people join and make precisely one post decrying their truck?) let's look at this.

18-2237 isn't an "engine rebuild". It's a cylinder head replacement. Major, to be sure, but at least acknowledged and fixed by Ford.

Dropping the engine off a stand, on and on? Crappy dealer. Every one of your further issues could have easily been explained by having a craptacular dealer service department.

If you aren't trolling, you should have lawyered up long ago.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
So, ignoring the fact that you might be a troll (how many people join and make precisely one post decrying their truck?) let's look at this.

18-2237 isn't an "engine rebuild". It's a cylinder head replacement. Major, to be sure, but at least acknowledged and fixed by Ford.

Dropping the engine off a stand, on and on? Crappy dealer. Every one of your further issues could have easily been explained by having a craptacular dealer service department.

If you aren't trolling, you should have lawyered up long ago.
Yeah the dropping the engine off the stand is weird. To change the cylinder heads on my truck, they took the cab off and never even pulled the engine.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Sorry for your horrible experience. It is a tough one to swallow and I am not surprised you are very upset. I have an 18 3.5L and based on my experience, which has not been nearly as bad as yours, I would never buy another either.

I am amazed at all the horrible dealer experiences people have with Ford. Their techs are by far the worst I have ever experienced. So bad in fact that often I feel the issue is the dealers and not Ford. I have had Nissan, Honda, and Toyota and never had a negative experience. With Ford I rarely have a good experience.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Sorry for your horrible experience. It is a tough one to swallow and I am not surprised you are very upset. I have an 18 3.5L and based on my experience, which has not been nearly as bad as yours, I would never buy another either.

I am amazed at all the horrible dealer experiences people have with Ford. Their techs are by far the worst I have ever experienced. So bad in fact that often I feel the issue is the dealers and not Ford. I have had Nissan, Honda, and Toyota and never had a negative experience. With Ford I rarely have a good experience.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Happens with every car company. I have a friend who’s had nothing but issues with Chevrolet, and I’ve heard stories of GMC, and dodge etc.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
11,022 Posts
I might feel differently if I had to experience a lousy customer experience, AND being a member here for many years and reading thousands of posts I sometimes find myself feeling a bit queasy about potential issues. Who wouldn't.

But then I have to consider that I currently have 2 Ford trucks out of warranty and well beyond 100,000 miles each, and had two trucks previous to those that had well over 100,000 miles each. None of those 4 trucks were anything but rock solid and represent over 500,000 miles combined.

Admittedly, my last 2 Ecoboost based trucks, as well as my current one, haven't reached high mileage, but they too have been OUTSTANDING trucks in every way that I can measure.

That's 7 Ford trucks and many 100's of thousands of miles. Ford has to at least fail me, and rather significantly, before I can just erase all that solid history and leave disappointed.

·
Registered
2018 F-150 XLT SCAB 4x4 3.55:1
259 Posts
Is a really hard statistics lesson to beat into some heads that a sample size of 1 does not establish a trend. Spend a lot of time in statistics class on how the number of samples relate to the margin of error.

Is even harder to teach how to separate events. An engine failure is an event. A dealer failing to rebuild correctly is a separate unrelated event.

Just as it is pretty hard to teach many on the internet that one tank of 93 AKI is not indicative of how the truck will run the next 5 tanks.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Is a really hard statistics lesson to beat into some heads that a sample size of 1 does not establish a trend. Spend a lot of time in statistics class on how the number of samples relate to the margin of error.

Is even harder to teach how to separate events. An engine failure is an event. A dealer failing to rebuild correctly is a separate unrelated event.

Just as it is pretty hard to teach many on the internet that one tank of 93 AKI is not indicative of how the truck will run the next 5 tanks.
OK. What is AKI ?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
OK. What is AKI ?
Anti Knock Index. It's the way the US, Canada, and a few others measure octane (ever see the "(R+M)/2" formula on the pump's sticker? that's how you find AKI). AKI itself is calculated from the Research Octane Number and the Motor Octane Number. RON is how other countries - notably Europe and Australia - display octane.

Using the term, especially on a site overwhelmingly used by USians and Canuckians, is typically a way of being either pedantic, ostentatious, or both.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
11,022 Posts
"Canada: in Canada octane rating is displayed in AKI. In most areas, the standard grades are 87 (regular), 89 (mid-grade) and 91-94 (premium) AKI. In the Atlantic Provinces, gasoline is often available without any blend of ethanol, but only up to 91 AKI."

Edit: I don't mind someone using the term here. I made a promise to myself when I was a very young man that I would not go to bed at night unless I have made the effort to LEARN at least ONE thing that I didn't know yesterday.
N44HHE did me the favor!
I might even take a nap!

·
Registered
2018 F-150 XLT SCAB 4x4 3.55:1
259 Posts
Anti Knock Index. It's the way the US, Canada, and a few others measure octane (ever see the "(R+M)/2" formula on the pump's sticker? that's how you find AKI).
Octane rating. That the anti-knock properties are equivalent to a mix of pure octane + heptane. But fuels respond differently under different conditions so today we have two test procedures named Research and Motor, averaged for AKI.

87 AKI we can readily purchase doesn’t really contain 87% octane, octane is expensive. 104 AKI couldn’t have 104% octane, but is believed to have anti-knock properties as if it did.

Octane has more energy than heptane so way back when gasoline was octane+heptane “premium” really did have more energy than regular. Not true today. For example consider the high AKI of E85 but 20% less energy than E10 contains.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts