F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What does this mean for F150 ecoboost owners? Our platform is now fully supported and tuning has just become significantly easier. Prior to this release, a Beta Software version had to be used, which did not allow datalogging of many important parameters and also had calibration tables inaccessible and unable to be modified. So I would datalog with SCT and tune with hptuners.

But now we have a fully supported software suite!

Shown below are a couple data logs with a handful of parameters of interest with 93 octane and a small water/meth injection....surprisingly enough, when comparing the same graphs to a no meth injection run, it doesnt seem to require any work from the widebands to stay at the target equivalence ratio....I am not sure my meth is working correctly so I will have to investigate that further. Or it could just be the small nozzle I am using.

datalog1.PNG datalog2.PNG datalog3.PNG

When I get a better handle on this platform, I will post up some information regarding tuning it if anyone is interested in taking this avenue.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Awesome!

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
My buddy's shop is running HP Tuners, he said what they can do with the EcoBoost is WAY cooler than the SCT/Diablo platforms.
The only downside (for me) is that it's not a hand held, so I can't revert to stock for dealer work, and his shop is oooo 300 miles each way.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Very interesting. It would be great to have a Forum created on .Net for DIY Tuners to share information and help those interested in doing their own tuning.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I am working very diligently to learn this ECU and tune my truck from scratch. I'm used to GM cars so this is a whole new thing for me.

There's a lot going on over on the HPT Forum on these and it's getting quite interesting.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I am working very diligently to learn this ECU and tune my truck from scratch. I'm used to GM cars so this is a whole new thing for me.

There's a lot going on over on the HPT Forum on these and it's getting quite interesting.
Yes this platform (ecoboost versus LSx based platforms) is SO much different than anything else I have worked with. It is not as intuitive as you would think. New tables and scalars I have never seen, and trying to figure out which ones control boost and other things.

When I get some more time with this platform to make changes, datalog, and post process, I will post up as much information as possible for you guys with hopes that it will influence others to tune their own vehicles. :cool:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My buddy's shop is running HP Tuners, he said what they can do with the EcoBoost is WAY cooler than the SCT/Diablo platforms.
The only downside (for me) is that it's not a hand held, so I can't revert to stock for dealer work, and his shop is oooo 300 miles each way.
You would have to purchase HPTuners hardware ($500 for basic version and $650 for pro version), and then just hook up to any laptop. With the ecoboost you only need the basic. The pro offers 5 programmable analog inputs for things like wideband(s), pressure sensors, etc. Fortunately the ecoboost already has 2 widebands from the factory. I LOVE IT!

You could sell your SCT and almost pay for the hardware. Plus when you buy HPTuners hardware, it comes with 8 credits on it....this means you can tune 4 vehicles.

Thats the nice thing about HPTuners, it does not marry itself to a single vehicle....you can tune as many as you want if you buy the credits for additional vehicles...which is $100 a vehicle.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Would be fun to try. I've been informed that the strategy for '15+ is quite different than earlier years. It would be interesting to see what Ford changed on the newer trucks.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Yes this platform (ecoboost versus LSx based platforms) is SO much different than anything else I have worked with. It is not as intuitive as you would think. New tables and scalars I have never seen, and trying to figure out which ones control boost and other things.

When I get some more time with this platform to make changes, datalog, and post process, I will post up as much information as possible for you guys with hopes that it will influence others to tune their own vehicles. :cool:

Indeed.

Even tuning GM's LNF (Turbo 4-cyl Direct Injection) is waaaaay easier than this thing lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thinking about picking this up. While it's a bummer I can't get an Accessport going for my truck, I still can't get behind someone else doing all the tuning on my vehicle. At least this way I get to toy around and make changes how I like them.

If the strategy on these things is anything like the other Ecoboost Fords....it's complex, to say the least.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
One thing I'd be interested in finding out is if anyone has figured how disable advanceTrac. Not temporarily until the ECU decides you've had enough fun, and kicks it back on. It's so aggressive that it will literally leave you sitting like a dead stick with your foot to the floor before allowing some forward movement.
It cost the wife around .5 at the track in Las Vegas. what should have been a low 13 high 12, ended up being a 13.8.(she spun hard off the line) If you're trying to get out of a stuck position in snow, forget about it. It's as though you're only allowed part throttle which doesn't get you moving very well.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Doesn't the "press and hold traction control button for five seconds" work on the new gen trucks?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One thing I'd be interested in finding out is if anyone has figured how disable advanceTrac. Not temporarily until the ECU decides you've had enough fun, and kicks it back on. It's so aggressive that it will literally leave you sitting like a dead stick with your foot to the floor before allowing some forward movement.
It cost the wife around .5 at the track in Las Vegas. what should have been a low 13 high 12, ended up being a 13.8.(she spun hard off the line) If you're trying to get out of a stuck position in snow, forget about it. It's as though you're only allowed part throttle which doesn't get you moving very well.
Ha ha ya this is a very frustrating "feature" Ford gave us. I will also be investigating this and will share my findings.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Doesn't the "press and hold traction control button for five seconds" work on the new gen trucks?
Not really. No. It says it does, but there is still very much nannies ruining the fun.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Been playing with my 2012 with HP version 2.25 beta and im having a hard time grasping the turbo tuning but definitely making headway. Any info from others using it would be awesome!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I should probably subscribe and watch this thread. HPT support has been pretty much nonexistent so I have been reluctant to license the F150.

I'm in the same boat as a couple of others here - I have been tuning my GM vehicles for about 10 years now, teaching myself so it's been slow going. Switching from tuning the 4L60E in my Avalanche to the 6L85E in my 2012 Grand Sport Vette was a big learning curve. There's a lot of info out there for GM vehicles.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Ha ha ya this is a very frustrating "feature" Ford gave us. I will also be investigating this and will share my findings.

My raptor with the whipple tune did that with traction control supposedly turned off , has something to do if computer see your front wheels turning at a certain mile per hour and rears are above that a certain point it kicks it in. very frustrating . I would have to race in 4WD to keep the TC from kicking in. I have a new custom tune now , from JDM he was able to totally disable it, when button is pushed. Shreds rear tires hard if i want it too. I'm sure Tuners should be able to tone that down.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
So, what years are covered? 11-14? Just wondering when the 15 software release will be.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
About this Discussion
47 Replies
19 Participants
BadAV
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing