F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

121 - 140 of 162 Posts

·
Administrator
7,725 Posts
Hey miles, you may have mentioned it maybe not, but have you towed with the truck yet?

Also, when you gonna plasti dip up them rims

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Umm. I towed my old boat....out of the garage. lol. With the little one being born summer last year I decided it was better to get rid of the boat and upgrade at a later date. I don't have anything else in my arsenal to tow.

I may end up getting new rims depending how much worse the roads get around my area. This is the worst I have ever seen a whole city having this issue...and for some reason the dumbasses here keep reelecting an incompetent ****
https://www.wowt.com/content/news/144th-Street-closed-in-Millard-due-to-potholes-506971022.html

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Umm. I towed my old boat....out of the garage. lol. With the little one being born summer last year I decided it was better to get rid of the boat and upgrade at a later date. I don't have anything else in my arsenal to tow.

I may end up getting new rims depending how much worse the roads get around my area. This is the worst I have ever seen a whole city having this issue...and for some reason the dumbasses here keep reelecting an incompetent ****
https://www.wowt.com/content/news/144th-Street-closed-in-Millard-due-to-potholes-506971022.html

Daaamn! That's crazy

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Quick day trip to KC for work yesterday. That gnarly headwind did not help at all on the way back.

So... are you bragging or complaining? 22.7 mpg is nothing to scoff at in one of these trucks. I intentionally did a Grandma drive a couple of days ago. Weather was calm and I didn’t get over 65 mph on the freeway. Honestly don’t think I could have babied anymore. This trip had both city and highway miles but I was very deliberate on this drive. It came back with 22.2. Did the same drive yesterday but increased the freeway speed (about half the drive) to 75 mph. The same 30 miles came back at 19.2 mph.

·
Administrator
7,725 Posts
I'm complaining about the wind, not at all about the mileage. As most of the nation thinks that Nebraska is completely flat and nothing but cornfields, this drive was actually very hilly due to the Interstate being closed due to flooding so I had to take the 2 lane highway the whole way. Drove the speed limit which was either 65 or 70mph the whole way.

Best MPH I ever got with my 2013 on a trip to and from KC (albeit on the interstate driving 70mph the whole way and a lot flatter) was only 19.3 mpg.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I'm complaining about the wind, not at all about the mileage. As most of the nation thinks that Nebraska is completely flat and nothing but cornfields, this drive was actually very hilly due to the Interstate being closed due to flooding so I had to take the 2 lane highway the whole way. Drove the speed limit which was either 65 or 70mph the whole way.

Best MPH I ever got with my 2013 on a trip to and from KC (albeit on the interstate driving 70mph the whole way and a lot flatter) was only 19.3 mpg.
The wind was actually my point. 22.7 mpg with a head wind in either direction is beyond acceptable.

·
Administrator
7,725 Posts
The wind was actually my point. 22.7 mpg with a head wind in either direction is beyond acceptable.
Not to point out the obvious, but before I hit the straightline headwind...I was averaging 23.6 mpg. haha.

The fuel mileage along with Sync 3 in my 2018 compared to my 2013 was enough to justify the trade-in...beyond other things.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Not to point out the obvious, but before I hit the straightline headwind...I was averaging 23.6 mpg. haha.

The fuel mileage along with Sync 3 in my 2018 compared to my 2013 was enough to justify the trade-in...beyond other things.
Hence the reason I was showing you the best I could do numbers (22.2) pretty much ideal conditions with winter fuel in my 2016. Repeating myself here, 22.7 is nothing to scoff at. ;)

·
Administrator
7,725 Posts
Well, I finally broke down and bought Bilstein 5100's for the truck. The 2018 compared to my old 2013 really "steps out" over bumps and is not a fan at all of pot holes or speed bumps. This is the first time I've modified any type of suspension on any vehicle I have owned so I hope it's worth it!

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
Well, I finally broke down and bought Bilstein 5100's for the truck. The 2018 compared to my old 2013 really "steps out" over bumps and is not a fan at all of pot holes or speed bumps. This is the first time I've modified any type of suspension on any vehicle I have owned so I hope it's worth it!

First time ever?

You've ONLY experienced the $39.00 suspender on a truck? (my guess is it likely cost Ford even le$$ per corner)

I'm confident you'll find all that Bilstein praise to be warranted. They are simply valved to manage a trucks weight better. No magic really.

I've heard many times the oem shocks are knowingly compromised to give a plush test drive. Ford figures the existing truck customer already knows obstacles to overcome to equip the truck for real truck duty. (huge aftermarket for towing and Payload products)

But new customers considering their first truck will take that 5 minute test drive and NOT experience anything TRUCKy about it.

Obviously the ¾-1 ton market can play by a different set of rules. But although they don't ride like a Buick off the lot, they aren't outfitted with anything special either.

When you buy a Mazda Miata, you can actually spec it with Bilsteins. Seems like Ford should offer the same strategy, even if ONLY for marketing reasons?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
My other two trucks had/have original shocks at 230,000 and 340,0000. Lol

2016 2.7 4x4 screw
You are JUST as stubborn as Miles.

But I guess the world needs a few of ya. :)

·
Administrator
7,725 Posts
Lol. I recently won a golf laser rangefinder and sold it so I had some money burning a hole in my pocket.

That coupled with a few mixed drinks last night.

I have a 3.5 hour trip planned for next Saturday and they are supposed to be here Wednesday. Hoping I can get them installed in time to test out the highway differences.

Sent from my Galaxy S9+ using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
It cracks me up every time I see you update MY created build thread..... LMAO!!!

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
Lol. I recently won a golf laser rangefinder and sold it so I had some money burning a hole in my pocket.

That coupled with a few mixed drinks last night.

I have a 3.5 hour trip planned for next Saturday and they are supposed to be here Wednesday. Hoping I can get them installed in time to test out the highway differences.

Sent from my Galaxy S9+ using Tapatalk
They will settle in after a few hundred miles. I always suggest a few “aggressive” speed bump hits to work them a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
7,725 Posts
They will settle in after a few hundred miles. I always suggest a few “aggressive” speed bump hits to work them a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That won't be a problem at all. The roads in my town are HORRENDOUS because of "mother nature"...as the mayor says. They are literally shutting down roads to replace them because of all the potholes.

The speed limit on this road is 45 mph...

·
Administrator
9,483 Posts
That won't be a problem at all. The roads in my town are HORRENDOUS because of "mother nature"...as the mayor says. They are literally shutting down roads to replace them because of all the potholes.

The speed limit on this road is 45 mph...

Same. My hind end likes to shimmy around on rough roads. It's my only real complaint about this truck. It was unsettling at first, but I've learned how to work with it.

2016 2.7 4x4 screw

·
Administrator
7,725 Posts
Got them installed last night in about 45 minutes...because my damn Husky liners were in the way. Also, I happened to notice my box-end wrench set from Harbor Freight didn't come with an 18 or a 20 (wtf??). Install was a LOT easier than I imagined as this was my first time on any vehicle ever messing with the suspension (if you want to call Bilsteins that).

I assume there is some sort of break in time with them, but after driving about 100 miles on them already, I can say that the rear end is "planted" more on acceleration and doesn't want to step-out over bumps in the highway on curves.

For paying $172 dollars and it being such an easy install, this may be a mod I do going forward on any other truck I happen to own.

And yes, I installed them boot down. lol

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
For paying $172 dollars and it being such an easy install, this may be a mod I do going forward on any other truck I happen to own.

And yes, I installed them boot down. lol
Get outta here! You'd do it again?

Oh, and you'd catch no grief from me if they were boot-up.

OK, not true. I'd be unable to resist. I WOULD wait until 4 or 5 others blasted you, THEN I would pile on. :)

And finally, argue for however long and as passionately as you must, but then go put matching dampers up front. I PROMISE you that all four corners exceed the sum of their parts. It's a completely different truck.

Composed.

121 - 140 of 162 Posts
About this Discussion
161 Replies
19 Participants
milesej05
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing