F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I would help you guys out. For those of you who dont know me yet I am a master certified parts guy and warranty administrator for a local ford dealer. If you have any questions about Ford parts / factor warranty post them here and I will answer them the best I can.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
9,491 Posts
I can tell ya, the biggest question that will come up, and I think the biggest source of misinformation, is going to be regarding tunes.

Where does the Magnuson Moss act come into play?

What exactly does Ford look for to determine that a tune was the cause of a failure when looking at a warranty claim?

If Ford does even look to see IF a tune caused the failure OR do they generally just automatically say "You have tune so denied."

What can Ford see exactly, or what do they look for, to see that an engine has been tuned?

These are the questions I see asked most often,on here and ESPECIALLY in Facebook groups. And answers we see range from "Magnuson Moss bruh they CAN'T deny a claim due to tune" to "The sky is falling he mentioned a tune death to the world they won't even fix your cracked dash!" Lol

Baaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I can tell ya, the biggest question that will come up, and I think the biggest source of misinformation, is going to be regarding tunes.

Where does the Magnuson Moss act come into play?

What exactly does Ford look for to determine that a tune was the cause of a failure when looking at a warranty claim?

If Ford does even look to see IF a tune caused the failure OR do they generally just automatically say "You have tune so denied."

What can Ford see exactly, or what do they look for, to see that an engine has been tuned?

These are the questions I see asked most often,on here and ESPECIALLY in Facebook groups. And answers we see range from "Magnuson Moss bruh they CAN'T deny a claim due to tune" to "The sky is falling he mentioned a tune death to the world they won't even fix your cracked dash!" Lol

Baaaaaaaaaaa
We can indeed tell if a truck has been tuned but not directly. There is whats called an ignition cycle counter function in the PCM, that counts the number of key cycles since the last PCM reflash or battery disconnect. So say a truck comes in with a concern of rough running and low power and the counter is at 250 and the truck has 25000 miles on it, it would be safe to say that truck was never tuned. But take the same truck with 25000 miles and that counter is only at 1 or 2. That raises a red flag and we start digging more. So we can tell but its not a bright red flag that says look at me.

But say we determined that the truck was tuned and the motor was altered. There is a form that any ford dealer can fill out requesting the powertrain warranty be void on the vehicle and flag the VIN so every other dealer won't warranty any powertrain repairs

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Personally I'm curious about how catch cans are regarded, and I would possibly like to have down pipes upgraded some day.

Baaaaaaaaaaa
those aren't a big deal at all. It would be very hard to prove those caused a failure

·
Administrator
9,491 Posts
Gotcha. That's the general consensus that we've come up with. I hesitate to ask too much, certainly don't want to get you in trouble. I'm just tired of the assumptions and misinformation. Is there a certain number of key cycles that are considered normal? I know, or at least I think I know, certain normal things can reset the key cycles, like replacing the battery or simply having a dead one.
We can indeed tell if a truck has been tuned but not directly. There is whats called an ignition cycle counter function in the PCM, that counts the number of key cycles since the last PCM reflash or battery disconnect. So say a truck comes in with a concern of rough running and low power and the counter is at 250 and the truck has 25000 miles on it, it would be safe to say that truck was never tuned. But take the same truck with 25000 miles and that counter is only at 1 or 2. That raises a red flag and we start digging more. So we can tell but its not a bright red flag that says look at me.
Baaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Gotcha. That's the general consensus that we've come up with. I hesitate to ask too much, certainly don't want to get you in trouble. I'm just tired of the assumptions and misinformation. Is there a certain number of key cycles that are considered normal? I know, or at least I think I know, certain normal things can reset the key cycles, like replacing the battery or simply having a dead one.

Baaaaaaaaaaa
ask away with anything, and there really isn't a general guideline, just use common sense with the mileage and key cycles and look at repair history for the truck . and go from there

·
Administrator
4,073 Posts
A very common question that pops up is in regards to the cam phasers failure with the timing chain rattle that can occur. If you read the factory warranty information this "should" fall under the 60,000 mile power train warranty or under the emissions warranty... but yet everyone states that it will never be covered under that and never has been. What say you? ;)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
A very common question that pops up is in regards to the cam phasers failure with the timing chain rattle that can occur. If you read the factory warranty information this "should" fall under the 60,000 mile power train warranty or under the emissions warranty... but yet everyone states that it will never be covered under that and never has been. What say you? ;)
if you are referring to the Stretched chain TSB, then yes they are covered under the powertrain warranty, we have replaced those already while doing the TSB for the chain, ford has paid them no problem. Along with the other sprockets in there and the chain tensioners.

In fact i used to stock the entire 3.5 timing setup, phasers, sprockets, chains, everything

·
Registered
27 Posts
those aren't a big deal at all. It would be very hard to prove those caused a failure
Ha ha! Now you tell me. I finally put a catch can on after hitting both my 5 year and 60K milestones within 24hrs of each other last week.

Kudos to you for stepping up to weigh in on this stuff here. I hope it doesn't become too exhaustive for you though!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ha ha! Now you tell me. I finally put a catch can on after hitting both my 5 year and 60K milestones within 24hrs of each other last week.

Kudos to you for stepping up to weigh in on this stuff here. I hope it doesn't become too exhaustive for you though!
its not a problem at all, glad to provide insight. the biggest thing with those catch cans is setting a code for the crankcase pressure sensor

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Personally I'm curious about how catch cans are regarded, and I would possibly like to have down pipes upgraded some day.

Baaaaaaaaaaa
That would be a question to ask your personal dealership, not some random guy on the internet. No offense to the OP whatsoever

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
I'm never at the dealer, and this guy is right here asking what we wanna know!

Baaaaaaaaaaa
I'm a investor with 200% return rate, any questions?

The thing is, as we all know, it's going to come down to your dealership, catch cans....
I've had three tell me it could void warranty because it messes with the PCV system. So it's not as simple as some random dude on the internet telling you, yeah it's all going to be good.

Everything that's pretty much been mentioned is common knowledge, at least I pretty much knew all that already, and if I know all that that means anyone could know all that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
I've known DJ longer than I've been here. The man knows what he's talking about.

I do agree with having a chat with your local service advisor though before doing anything drastic.

·
Premium Member
4,509 Posts
I've known DJ longer than I've been here. The man knows what he's talking about.

I do agree with having a chat with your local service advisor though before doing anything drastic.
Yea, but that just means you're a dude on the internet that knows a dude on the internet.

Just messing with ya.

Jerry at Tifosi was just a dude on the internet when I first joined this forum. So was Ryan. Same for Matt.

So I guess it STARTS like that regardless?

(I've already had a bit of pm'ing back and forth with DJ. He's not a BOT, that's for sure. Lol. Seems like a good guy)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
He's helped me personally on my own vehicles and I've seen him help countless others in the many years I've known him. If he has time he usually has the answers.

Just wait till he starts talking about detailing

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey @djllmn, how about adding cold intakes or intercooler upgrades? Any issue voiding warranties with those? My new S&B cold box is awesome, really unleashed the turbos!

1 - 20 of 197 Posts
About this Discussion
196 Replies
44 Participants
djfllmn
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing