F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good morning all,

Recently I made the decision to try out custom tuning. I purchased a SCTX4 from the Buy/Sell/Trade forum on this site. I was dead set on only using the canned tunes on the device. I opted to use the SCT 93 Octane tune. I used it for about a month. Initially I was content with the added power, but the lack of mileage really bugged me. During my research on multiple Facebook groups and numerous threads, one company and name popped up the most: Unleashed & Torrie. After reading I realized that Unleashed was synonymous with customer service.

So, after a few Facebok messages with Torrie I decided to place my order for the 87 & 93 Performance tunes. I happened to order the tunes while I was away on vacation, so I didn't have my engine's strategy code or the SCT device's serial number. Once I returned I sent Torrie the information and waited patiently. I received an email within five minutes asking for clarification on my tires' size. I replied, and in less than 30 minutes I had the tunes sitting in my inbox!

As of this moment I have only run the 93 Performance tune for less than 100 miles. Just as many have stated making the jump from stock to canned is impressive, and the jump from canned to custom tunes is eye popping. The initial tune Torrie sent is strong. The tune runs very smooth. I've gone WOT from a stop and spun my K02s, and I've tried WOT from a roll onto an on ramp and hit 90mph effortlessly. After running this tune for about a month or so, I plan on data logging for the first time so that Torrie can help me fine tune the driving experience.

I am keeping the 87 performance as sort of a contingency for long road trips away from the abundance of 93 octane in Michigan.

Overall, Unleashed and Torrie McPhail made my Spring Break incredibly memorable! I took another teacher out on a lunch run, and he was blown away by how powerful the truck felt from before. Driving my truck has me smiling ear to ear!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Nice write up and information....i will be seeking a tune hopefully sooner than later...but as money rolls in and this will definitely help making my decision!

Reactions: GeneralSantaAna

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I second that. Torrie is the best.:cool:

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
I'll also say Torrie is great to deal with. Great customer service, great tunes and a really nice guy.

As an alternate tune, consider a Tow Tune. I know that if/when I get a second tune from Torrie, it will be for towing. Unfortunately, I have nothing to tow (yet).

·
Registered
461 Posts
Yes, I second---no third---well where ever I am in line I also recommend Torrie at Unleashed. Each one of the other post are spot on with recommending an Unleashed tune.Never looked back after loading his 93 performance tune. Make you smile!

·
Registered
823 Posts
I'm sold... time to try yet another tuner! Any forum discounts currently going on Torrie?

·
Registered
823 Posts
I'm going to go for straight 93 perf and a 91 tow tune. from various other vendors i have 87 tow, 91 perf, 93 perf and 93 tow. so gotta compare the 93 perf up top for best of the best and then filling in the missing 91 tow slot since often when i'm towing i cross state lines where 93 isn't available... i've thus far been running an 87 tow tune always, would be nice to run 91

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'm going to go for straight 93 perf and a 91 tow tune....filling in the missing 91 tow slot since often when i'm towing i cross state lines where 93 isn't available...
That is actually a good idea. I will keep that in mind about the different tow tune for each state. You sound like a smart person coming up with that idea.
Honestly I thing you will be very satisfied with Torrie's tunes. Just be sure you run a data logs for him to tweak. My first tune from Unleashed felt perfect, but I sent Torrie the first data log and he tweaked it and after I loaded and run that tune, I felt it was perfect and did not get another data log. Happy, happy, happy....

I have always felt to run a minim of a full tank of gas then data log on the second tank of fuel. Why? my thought process is to allow the truck to tune in the the loaded tune. Any add-on items you get email Unleashed so he can take a look at his tune and mod as needed.

Good luck...

·
Registered
823 Posts
Tunes already in my hot little hands all of 3? hours later... that is service indeed :eek:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts