F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally Bought a TT 2018 GRAND DESIGN REFLECTION 297RSTS. I didn't won't to go over 9,000 lbs GVWR but coudnt Resist the price and options. It's at 9995 GVWR and 795 tongue. After reading countless threads on weight I know I'll be over weight (by the book)by round 200-300 lbs cargo. I only have 1176 on my sticker. The only diferance between the tow package and max tow is the 3:73 rearend and beefed up bumper (and mirrors). More worried about axle weight. Even tho I have airbags, shocks and shocks do you think I'll be ok? Have seen other with stock suspension tow just as much. I guess I'll just have to see where my weight is after adjusting the WD. I bought the Anderson WD. Will keep eye on all temps and will upgrade accordingly. But any what do you think overall? Do think I'll be ok? Will take any opinion and thanks
IMG_3853.JPG

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Very nice!

I have no input on the weight though unfortunately

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Grand Design best in quality-IMO
Almost bought the 315RLTS....and that one is a pinch heavier than my Keystone Outback 328RL. Couldn't agree on a price and it didnt have automatic leveling (deal breaker-lol).
Mine is 38' 9k dry with 2 AC's.
Anyways Congrats on a BEAUTIFUL travel trailer!!
Your payload is a little on the low scale but you know that.
Welcome to the Tow Heavy Boost Family-lol
Just make sure you dial in your WDH and I would definitely add a sway bar to it if you don't already have one.
I swear by a Hellwig rear sway bar for your truck
You have airbags-Great!
Air up your tires and enjoy that fully loaded house on wheels!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nice!

I have no input on the weight though unfortunately
Thanks. (Had the 2nd ac) Won't pick it up until middle of July. Will be going up north for two weeks then will go get after. They will have me spend 1-2 nights there with one on one help while setting it up and to make sure I'm happy and everything works. Paid less than 30 used.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Grand Design best in quality-IMO
Almost bought the 315RLTS....and that one is a pinch heavier than my Keystone Outback 328RL. Couldn't agree on a price and it didnt have automatic leveling (deal breaker-lol).
Mine is 38' 9k dry with 2 AC's.
Anyways Congrats on a BEAUTIFUL travel trailer!!
Your payload is a little on the low scale but you know that.
Welcome to the Tow Heavy Boost Family-lol
Just make sure you dial in your WDH and I would definitely add a sway bar to it if you don't already have one.
I swear by a Hellwig rear sway bar for your truck
You have airbags-Great!
Air up your tires and enjoy that fully loaded house on wheels!
Thanks for the reply:):) I have hellwig rear sway bar. Nice to hear that info, makes me feel better about decision. I always get buyer remorse after buying anything lol (the 2nd ac did me in and out side kitchen/tv) :):):)

·
Premium Member
4,660 Posts
Grand Design!

Saaweeeet rig! (There's reasons it is a bit porky. Good reasons too!)

But I see a new truck in your future. Lol
(we don't all have meaz-DNA in us)

It's only money. Enjoy that amazing House-on-wheels for all it's worth!

(You've worked hard for DECADES, am I right?)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Grand Design!

Saaweeeet rig! (There's reasons it is a bit porky. Good reasons too!)

But I see a new truck in your future. Lol
(we don't all have meaz-DNA in us)

It's only money. Enjoy that amazing House-on-wheels for all it's worth!

(You've worked hard for DECADES, am I right?)
LOL NO !!!! This the last truck I'll have! Class A will be the next if something happens to this one, was seriously looking at them. The only reason I got this one is because I already have a truck . Think I'll be ok . The 'meaz' has given the ok!!! LOL

·
Registered
372 Posts
I agree with snake on this one. That is a BIG trailer and overextends the chassis of a 1/2 with your payload. On a max tow with HDPP and 157" wheelbase, I would go for it, but not with less than 1200 lbs of payload. I would bet loaded up your tongue weight alone will be more than 1200 lbs once loaded with propane, batteries, water, items inside (none of those are counted in the stated tongue weight). Your wheelbase is also shorter than ideal for that long of a trailer. Drivetrain isn't the issue. I am approaching the limits with our (much) smaller trailer on a max tow 157"wheelbase truck with 1804lbs of payload.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/637177/srt/pa/pging/1.cfm

·
Registered
694 Posts
LOL NO !!!! This the last truck I'll have! Class A will be the next if something happens to this one, was seriously looking at them. The only reason I got this one is because I already have a truck . Think I'll be ok . The 'meaz' has given the ok!!! LOL
Ok to Meaz = 250+ coolant temps and overheating every trip. That would not be okay to most.

·
Premium Member
4,660 Posts
Even the Tow-Master Meaz couldn't help but mention that low Payload number. (Must be a really nice truck too :) )

So, if you setup everything perfect, are you going to leave the Missus at home?

I guess you could have her sit in the TT just on top of the axles? (would be a neutral spot lol)

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree with snake on this one. That is a BIG trailer and overextends the chassis of a 1/2 with your payload. On a max tow with HDPP and 157" wheelbase, I would go for it, but not with less than 1200 lbs of payload. I would bet loaded up your tongue weight alone will be more than 1200 lbs once loaded with propane, batteries, water, items inside (none of those are counted in the stated tongue weight). Your wheelbase is also shorter than ideal for that long of a trailer. Drivetrain isn't the issue. I am approaching the limits with our (much) smaller trailer on a max tow 157"wheelbase truck with 1804lbs of payload.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/637177/srt/pa/pging/1.cfm
Definantly going to be keeping eye on where heavy items and things in general to keep weight off the tongue as much as possible. Have plenty of space in back to put things. Again won't know much untill I hit the scales and adjust with WDH. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok to Meaz = 250+ coolant temps and overheating every trip. That would not be okay to most.
Will be keeping eye on temps. Towing a ford ranger on car trailer up to MI next week (900 miles), will see how temps go up the hills. Will upgrade anything if needed. thanks for heads up.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
I am pretty sure I am close to my payload with 5500 lb GVWR trailer. I have ~1560 lbs.

I figure:

800 lb tongue
350 lbs of passengers.
75 lbs of WDH
Leer cap is probably 200-250.

So thats 1400+ lbs right there. That doesnt include random **** in my center console, firewood, bikes, generator etc. I could be over 1560 lbs with very little effort.

So unless you have some magic fairy dust that makes you weightless, I don't see how you would only be 2-300 lbs over with that trailer especially with all the accesories you have in your signiture(bull bar, air bags, steps, bed cover, etc.)

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep your probably right on weight lol most likely 4-500 We pretty much have the same vehicle but I have 4x4. Maybe I should put a heavy duty ballon in back and fill it with helium! JJ. Tow plus would have given me a extra 300 but not offered in the 145" bed. Only difference is 3:73 gears and bumper (reinforced)

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Mulyhuntr....sort of confused on, "overheats ever trip"? Umm....I don't think so-lol
Long grades can be a challenge from time to time, but in no way is it an every trip affair.
Fact...my truck pulls that trailer extremely well.
And I have a new 5* Adaptive "Tow Only" Tune that I am going to try out next big pull-excited.
Finally...the manual high speed fan mod works great too!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Beautiful trailer, congrats!!

Make damn sure your PDI covers everything. Do not rush through it, or let them rush you through it. A PDI should take no less than 1 1/2 hours. You want to see everything, and how everything works. The RV forums are chock full of "How does the . . . " questions from new owners. I am not sure anyone leaves the lot, truly knowing how to hook up a satellite antenna :)

Nitpick every little quality control item. It is your money. They will fix most anything before they get your money. After that, well . . . .

·
Premium Member
4,660 Posts
A PDI can take 3 hours if you nauseatingly ask "what's this button for?" and all of the "would if.... questions"

It's kind of fun, actually. And you leave feeling like you actually know the unit pretty well.

Worked perfectly on the one I have lived in the last ~4 years. I've had the best luck with it. I'm sorta convinced everything still works because it's IN USE?

Could just be luck though. I bought my son a new 31' for a wedding present and the Dometic roof AC unit puked within 6 months. Couldn't take it in for warranty work so we just Amazon'd one in and replaced it. Far less trouble!

Anyways, none of this is news to you guys, I'm sure.

Mr. B, don't worry too much about needing a new truck. It's fate. The best kind. And it makes for a wonderful story!

Of course you'll have to make a couple of trips with your current truck before she'll be telling you to get one. But that's even better Cuz it'll all be disquised as her idea!

Brilliant really. :)

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Beautiful trailer, congrats!!

Make damn sure your PDI covers everything. Do not rush through it, or let them rush you through it. A PDI should take no less than 1 1/2 hours. You want to see everything, and how everything works. The RV forums are chock full of "How does the . . . " questions from new owners. I am not sure anyone leaves the lot, truly knowing how to hook up a satellite antenna :)

Nitpick every little quality control item. It is your money. They will fix most anything before they get your money. After that, well . . . .
Thanks Max!!! I'll have 1-2 days to go over it (see post 4) and yes Ill bring a creeper :):) think the previous owner (local)parked it and only used it a little. Burners never used and no dings on front from gravel. Just a little soap scum on shower door. Ac units looked used petty good but Lazydays has good reputation I think? Have 30 days after to bring back for anything. Then other warranty kicks in. And yes the internet,goggle and utube is your friend here.

·
Premium Member
4,660 Posts
I did not notice it was previously owned.

Unlike motor vehicles, with an RV that is often a HUGE benefit. Especially if the previous owner is an experienced RV'er. They fix so many things and they address much of the shortcomings that any RV starts out with.

Not to mention the serious first owner depreciation!

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I did not notice it was previously owned.

Unlike motor vehicles, with an RV that is often a HUGE benefit. Especially if the previous owner is an experienced RV'er. They fix so many things and they address much of the shortcomings that any RV starts out with.

Not to mention the serious first owner depreciation!
Salesman called me about it when it came in. I put a hold on it drove down the next day )yesterday) and bought it. After salesman hanged up somebody else wanted it, it's that fast. Drive back home tomorrow. Been looking for over 6 months, had feelers out there looking knowing they had a sale with right rig.

1 - 20 of 167 Posts