Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #282

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #284
Baaaack...when? In 2005 when my camper was made? I...think so
JJ maintenance does wonders!!! But don’t think I’ll have mine that long, don’t if I’ll be driving then lol

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
JJ maintenance does wonders!!! But don’t think I’ll have mine that long, don’t if I’ll be driving then lol
Yer probably already looking at tour buses. Steel horse anyone? 😜

·
Administrator
10,459 Posts
It isn't perfect, but we thought it foolish to have a payment. That negated the argument that we can get a cheap spot to stay on a vacation. I the front corners had been leaking and I had to rip the front apart and essentially rebuild it. But everything works great, the layout is perfect for us, and the weight/size is just right for our needs and my truck.

I ripped it apart, rebuilt what was necessary, put it back together, sealed the corner seam, then covered it with eternabond.

Of course I did not know this when we bought the camper. So I overpaid a little bit, but the repairs were mostly free. Still, it's paid for, and you can only be so picky on the used market if your budget is limited and you're looking for something specific. (Bunkhouse, slide, and open floor plan).
IMG_20190727_171031709_HDR.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #287

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
It isn't perfect, but we thought it foolish to have a payment. That negated the argument that we can get a cheap spot to stay on a vacation. I the front corners had been leaking and I had to rip the front apart and essentially rebuild it. But everything works great, the layout is perfect for us, and the weight/size is just right for our needs and my truck.

I ripped it apart, rebuilt what was necessary, put it back together, sealed the corner seam, then covered it with eternabond.

Of course I did not know this when we bought the camper. So I overpaid a little bit, but the repairs were mostly free. Still, it's paid for, and you can only be so picky on the used market if your budget is limited and you're looking for something specific. (Bunkhouse, slide, and open floor plan). View attachment 166620

Wow, that's some dedication right there. Isn't 3 months of your time worth an extra 10K? I just really dislike digging into someone else's issue/problems on some of these remodel type jobs.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
So Mr. B - when do we get to see inside Boss Hog? Or is that just a cardboard cutout? Photoshop? :unsure:

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #290

·
Administrator
10,459 Posts
Wow, that's some dedication right there. Isn't 3 months of your time worth an extra 10K? I just really dislike digging into someone else's issue/problems on some of these remodel type jobs.
This took me a weekend to repair. No, it was absolutely not worth another $10,000.

It was really a surprise. It's hard to say what it was worth. But with my current skillset, and the current ability I possess, nope. Otherwise, I'm not sure how to state a value on my savings vs spending uncounted money on new.

I'll spend two days and some aggravation to save $10k+ AND I know my camper much better now. I very careful mapped out the studs on paper before I buttoned it back up.

I'd absolutely do it all over again at $6k. I could have just wrapped the corners with eternabond and it would have been good for another 10 years.

·
Administrator
10,459 Posts
With the issues, it should have been $5000. I would have absolutely pulled the trigger at $5k knowing I had to make this repair. 6k, no that's what it was worth with no problems. How much would it have coat to pay somebody else? No idea. I don't live that life.

It would take me 2 months before taxes to make 10k dollars. Without any bills being taken out. A weekend's worth of work? Absolutely with it to have the perfect camper for us within our budget.

I guess my point is just that we can get into camping for much less than 5 or 6 figures. 6? Really? My first home was less than 6 figures. The current home which is probably out forever home is just barely over 6 figures. The trade off? Absolutely worth while. We have just as much fun as anybody else in the campground. It did cost us a little sweat equity, yes. But, I kind of smelled a rat. I was still willing to take the chance. It was the PERFECT layout for us. If I had not been confident in my abilities if my suspicions had turned out to be true, I would have walked away and wound up in a different camper...for less than 5 and definitely 6 figures.

We can get into the game for a reasonable, affordable amount. Especially if we are willing to do a little DIY stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #293
@mwemaxxowner That’s a lot of work, but in the end well worth it. For almost 10 years I had 4 mobile homes that were section 8 that were built in the 80’s. So I know how you feel, I did all the work myself. Didn’t trust anyone to do work unless yard work lol. Family and I went without a lot to get where I’m at now so no more rebuilds for me, So we're rewarding ourselves with a few nice things before we can’t enjoy them.
@DNA Dan here a link with pictures. Right now we are putting in shelf lining, installing the dyson and few other things so it’s a mess inside now.

·
Administrator
10,459 Posts
When we started getting our old house ready to sell, there was about a 3x6 section of ceiling that I had had to replace in the living room. Due to a leak in the roof I fixed. I cut, replaced the drywall in the roof also. I was not confident in my abilities to patch the ceiling back up. So, I contracted someone. He said all the right things. Insured, etc. Instead of him patching and blending the popcorn, it turned into scraping the popcorn in the living room, skim coating, and painting the walls and ceilings in two rooms.

It turned into an abysmal experience. I went after them on almost every session and fixed runs before they dried. I was disappointed with their progress and scraped the popcorn myself one night. I scraped nearly as much in an hour or two before bed as they had scraped in days. (This was not water soluble popcorn. More like blown on plaster) They sanded the skim coating one day without putting any drop cloths up and every door in the house was open. There was a 1/8" layer of dust over every surface in the house and the little dude working kind of laughed it off. I almost choke slammed him.

They took way longer than promised. They had taped paper down to our hardwood floors. When they removed the tape it also removed part of the finish to the hardwood. I attribute this to being on the finish for over two months and multiple hot/cold cycles (heat was used to speed up drying times several times). When pointed out, he only remarked over how surprised he was it removed the finish (I was too to be honest, but it was on there forever) and told me how I could fix it myself.

After they were gone we proceeded to find gouges out of the mantle that I built myself. But gouge out of my stove. Splatter everywhere. He did not get complete payment for services rendered and that did not end on good terms.

After that, I'll never trust anybody to do a job I can do myself again. I'm the only person I can trust to do it right. Well, and my dad. My Achilles heel is that I get too particular and shoot for perfection where it isn't necessary. Stuff that shouldn't takes me way too long sometimes. That was the point in paying somebody. I could focus on other projects while they worked. But I could have done 10x better than they did and for less money. And in less time.

You sent me off on a huge tangent, and brought up some rough memories. Lol

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #295
You sent me off on a huge tangent, and brought up some rough memories. Lol
Your forgiven...🙏 lol Only thing I would contract out was major roof work and hvac work (not duct work).

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
@mwemaxxowner That’s a lot of work, but in the end well worth it. For almost 10 years I had 4 mobile homes that were section 8 that were built in the 80’s. So I know how you feel, I did all the work myself. Didn’t trust anyone to do work unless yard work lol. Family and I went without a lot to get where I’m at now so no more rebuilds for me, So we're rewarding ourselves with a few nice things before we can’t enjoy them.
@DNA Dan here a link with pictures. Right now we are putting in shelf lining, installing the dyson and few other things so it’s a mess inside now.
Very nice! The master bedroom is ginormous! So did you guys win the lottery ?? That's a big step up from section 8. And sorry mwemaxxowner I didn't realize RV rehabing was such a soft spot for you. Just looked like months of work to me. I get it, trust me. I did the timing chain job on the truck myself. I guess in my case my wife would never go for that, so I don't consider projects that require a high WAF. It's easier to open the wallet or beg from the bank. I have some luxury in choosing my battles.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
And here i am thinking about downsizing my trailer, although not necessarily going cheaper. I really like the Winnebago Microminnies. They are a foot narrower, slightly shorter in the layout i want, and lighter than my current trailer. Would make boondocking a lot easier.

I think i paid $11k with taxes for my 2012 Jayco. So far the only issues i have had with it were my own fault, like not winterizing it properly which caused the toilet valve to break and accedentally pulling the emergency brake switch which resulted in the switch melting lol.

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
That 1 foot narrower is a big bonus while towing. My little toy hauler is 7' wide, just like those Winnebagos. You can SEE so much better, and it's mathematically a substantial decrease in wind resistance.

But I too love those microminnie 5ths on paper. That's a legit F150 5th option.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #300
Now looking to trade in my 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited for a Buick Enclave or trailblazer that is flat towable 🤦‍♂️ Pretty much even trade. Maybe I can get them to install mounts and wiring harness as part of trade?

281 - 300 of 300 Posts