F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering trading my 2010 F-150 5.4L for a 2013 F-150 with an EcoBoost 3.5L V-6. I sometimes tend to tow items that are probably better towed with 3/4 ton trucks (like larger farm tractors on heavy trailers). Probably stupid to do this I admit but the other uses we have for a truck are better suited for the 150 and I don't really want to have 2 trucks. Most of the reviews I have read on the EB engines say there is no drop off from the 5.4 (and perhaps they even prefer the EB) but, if anyone tows heavier items they perhaps shoudln't with a half ton has any additional comments I would greatly appreciate them. Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just upgraded to an EB from a 07 150 5.4, Haven't had a chance to tow a big load yet. My MPG seems to be a little better than my 5.4 but the power up grade is off the chart compared to my 5.4 . But from the guys I know who have the EB tell me the EB gets better MPG at close to 10k. And to run Mobil 1 oil that picks it up some also.

My 13 EB has the same basic specs as my 07. FX4 Super Crew 3.73 gears. I can run 70 mph under 2k RPM.

You might want to do the same upgrades to the rear susp. as I did. I run the Timbren Load Boosters with Monroe Load Sencening Shocks. (Gas w/Coil Over) Don't over load the truck too bad, but it sure helps handling heavy loads and towing a heavy trailer.

For my delivery trucks for my business I got out of F250's w/6.0 and have the Super Cab F150's (Heavy Payload Pkg.) With the Timbren and Shocks. One is a 10 w/5.4 the other is an 11 w/5.0 and I couldn't be happier with the two. Better MPG and lower price at the pump and have gone from 40-50k miles on tires to over 100k on the 2010 and looks like the 2011 will be close to 100k.

My dealer tried to get me to try the EB when I ordered the 2011. But I got burned by the 6.0 and wanted it to be out a year or two first. Not sure that a want the EB in my delivery trucks. But the 5.0 has done a great job.

But in my truck the EB sure is and will be nice to have.

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have a 2002 5.4 that will soon be replaced by an EB (on order). Drive one and you will quickly feel the difference. Data below came from some Motor Trend surveys that I found and compiled. The EB handicapped with a 1275# payload can still outrun a 5.4 (empty). All three trucks had a 3.73 rear differential.

2012 F150 Platinum 3.5 EB2012 XLT 5.0 SuperCab 4WD 2009 Ford F-150 SuperCrew Lariat 5.4
ACCELERATION TO MPH
0-302.32.52.6
0-403.53.84.3
0-504.85.36
0-606.4, 7.2*, 15.5** 7.1, 8.3*, 15.1**8.1
0-708.89.610.7
0-8011.412.213.6
0-9014.515.217.4
0-10018.6 --
PASSING, 45-65 MPH3.63.84.3
QUARTER MILE 15.1 sec @ 91.8 mph, 15.6 sec @ 89.4 mph*, 20.5 sec @ 69.0 mph**15.5 sec @ 91.0 mph, 16.5 sec @ 85.6 mph*, 20.6 sec @ 68.8 mph** 16.2 sec @ 87.5 mph
30-70 MPH5.2*, 10.3** sec5.1*, 9.6** sec
*With 1275-lb payload, **With 8250-lb trailer*With 1185-lb payload, **With 6900-lb trailer

·
Registered
311 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
I had a 2008 f-150 with the 5.4l had the gale banks power pack on it (headers, program, exhaust and intake) but the only thing I miss on the old truck compared to my new EB is the sounds.
I choose the max tow pkg on my 2012 for the same reason as you in that I tow heavy loads (11-12.5k) here and there but other times the loads are around 5-8k and being in a colder climate i didnt want to mess with a diesel headache. The truck has no issues pulling the bigger loads and does so in comfort and confidence.
to give you a comparison I have a friend with a 2012 F-350 with the 6.2l V8 (same gear ration 3.73 and cab set up) and pulling 11k trailers I can out pull him both flat and up the hills. MPG towing were similar were I was only 1 or 2 mpg better but unloaded I was 4-5 mpg better on daily driving. Like I explained to him it's difficult to match the torque curve of this motor plus it has the same tranny as the Superduty (super steep 1st gear and two over drives that the EB smartly takes full advantage of)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I plan on using it. Because when you shut down a engine with hot turbos' the oil will sit in the bearings and cook into carbon and shorten the lifespan of the turbochargers.

The synthetic has a much hotter thermal breakdown temp. And also flows much faster in cold temps.

Synthetic oil is much cheaper than turbochargers!

·
Registered
589 Posts
I waited til 10k on the mileage before switching to synthetic to allow the EB to break in. I did a oil change at 5k with normal oil and started doing heavy towing than too. Once I did MPG shot way up even when towing!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just wanted to thank everyone who answered my post as I was looking into trading for a new truck with the EB engine. I did trade and the new truck is pretty awesome. I have always considered 6 cyl engines to simply be too small for towing but, for anyone looking for advice like I was, the new EB works better than my 2010 5.4L V8. I have no experience with turbos but, as my friends and family who run lots of semis that use turbos say, they put hundreds of thousands of miles on their trucks with no problems so don't worry about running them on an F-150. I switched to Ford trucks 12 years ago after running GM all of my life and still find no reason to go back. I actually drove a GMC thinking it was time for a change and the Ford just simply felt way more solid and still has more features. Anyway, I will try to report on my long term experience with the EB going forward in an effort to help other people as they have questions but wanted to say I appreciate the people who answered my questions so quickly as I was making a decision on this trade.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Just wanted to thank everyone who answered my post as I was looking into trading for a new truck with the EB engine. I did trade and the new truck is pretty awesome. I have always considered 6 cyl engines to simply be too small for towing but, for anyone looking for advice like I was, the new EB works better than my 2010 5.4L V8. I have no experience with turbos but, as my friends and family who run lots of semis that use turbos say, they put hundreds of thousands of miles on their trucks with no problems so don't worry about running them on an F-150. I switched to Ford trucks 12 years ago after running GM all of my life and still find no reason to go back. I actually drove a GMC thinking it was time for a change and the Ford just simply felt way more solid and still has more features. Anyway, I will try to report on my long term experience with the EB going forward in an effort to help other people as they have questions but wanted to say I appreciate the people who answered my questions so quickly as I was making a decision on this trade.
Hey congrats! You will have to let us know how it compares when towing and ensure to post a pic or two! Good luck and Cheers!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
4 Participants
AK-KingBoost
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing