F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like some advise please from those of you that have done it..
We have a '13 F-150 Eco XLT HD with a little over 51,000 miles on it now. Been towing an Xlite 5th wheel now for 5 years (little over 10,000 miles worth). The truck suspension is still stock and sits 2 1/2 inches high in the rear unloaded and sits 1/8 to 1/4 high (so pertnear level) when towing. Thinking it's bout time to replace the ole Ranchos and am thinking of replacing em with Bilstein shocks. Been following gnewby's thread "Bilstein Rear Shocks". Particularly the comments from Snakebitten, Meaz93 & MitchF150 and their experiences,
My question(s).
From their comments, I'm trying to figure out which set would be right for our trucks loaded & unloaded ride.
1. 4600's all around, cuz I don't mind the front sitting lower when unloaded. Would 4600's be stout enough with the 5er attached?
2. If we go with the 5100's, will the rear still drop the 2 1/4 or so, so the truck & 5er will ride levelish when towing. Also when unloaded, if I decide raise the front when not towing, how difficult is it to adjust the 5100's to raise the front the 2 1/2 to level it out when unloaded.
& 3. What bout 4600's in the front & 5100's for the rear? I'm just throw n ideas out to see if anything sticks & trying to figure out what would be best for our little truck.
Give your thoughts and opinions...
Thanks
Milo

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts
Changing the height settings on the front 5100's isn't a task you would go back and forth on. You have to disassemble the strut from spring, basically.

As for aftermarket shocks reducing the drop in the rear from weight....... That's not really the purpose, nor should you expect that to be the result. Rather the increased damping (resistance) will stabilize the suspension movement while rolling over the road surface.

Reducing the "drop" from placing weight on the truck would require stiffer springs or adding something to assist the existing springs. (helper spring or airbags)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Pretty sure the only functional difference in 4600 and 5100 is height adjustment capability on the 5100s. Contact Bilstein for details.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
275 Posts
Pretty sure the only functional difference in 4600 and 5100 is height adjustment capability on the 5100s. Contact Bilstein for details.

This

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your input guys.
snakebitten Well scratch adjusting the front ride height huh. More importantly, I'm NOT wanting to reduce the drop in the rear. The amount of drop is perfect now cuz it allows the truck & 5er to set level when towing. I want to make sure the new set (which ever set or brand) will still allow it to drop that 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 ish inches when towing.

Milo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for your input guys.
snakebitten Well scratch adjusting the front ride height huh. More importantly, I'm NOT wanting to reduce the drop in the rear. The amount of drop is perfect now cuz it allows the truck & 5er to set level when towing. I want to make sure the new set (which ever set or brand) will still allow it to drop that 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 ish inches when towing.

Milo
I like the non-adjustable rear 5100s to help keep my RV from bucking. Allowing the drop was also important to me. They will allow the drop to full bottoming out of the suspension (which of course you don't want). Of significant importance to me, they allow more travel height. This comes into play when I use air bags for my RV, and unhook when aired-up for the load. My truck rises probably 4 inches, and the shocks don't 'top out'.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts

I thought someone here had posted that the valving was different between them. I wanna say the 5100's had more rebound dampening but less compression dampening.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Changing the height settings on the front 5100's isn't a task you would go back and forth on. You have to disassemble the strut from spring, basically.

As for aftermarket shocks reducing the drop in the rear from weight....... That's not really the purpose, nor should you expect that to be the result. Rather the increased damping (resistance) will stabilize the suspension movement while rolling over the road surface.

Reducing the "drop" from placing weight on the truck would require stiffer springs or adding something to assist the existing springs. (helper spring or airbags)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Yeah, you definately do not wanna have to try and adjust them regularly. You have to fully remove the coilover, compress the springs off, and reset the c-clip to a different groove every time.

Hell, even "adjustable" coil-overs like Fox are supposed to be removed before adjustment.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
I thought someone here had posted that the valving was different between them. I wanna say the 5100's had more rebound dampening but less compression dampening.
I know of one dealer that says that, but I haven't read it anywhere else. Bilstein's website FAQ says

"
4. SHOULD I USE THE B6 4600 OR B8 5100 FOR MY LIGHT TRUCK OR SUV?
Good question! Our B6 4600 shock is for stock height vehicles while the B8 5100 are for lifted/leveled applications. If your truck is at stock ride height you would want to use our B6 4600 shock. If you have lift components installed on your truck and need a longer shock then you would want to use the B8 5100’s. Both shocks are equally as durable and neither is better than the other."

The only difference I have read about is lift capability, external coating and the boots.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
I know of one dealer that says that, but I haven't read it anywhere else. Bilstein's website FAQ says

"
4. SHOULD I USE THE B6 4600 OR B8 5100 FOR MY LIGHT TRUCK OR SUV?
Good question! Our B6 4600 shock is for stock height vehicles while the B8 5100 are for lifted/leveled applications. If your truck is at stock ride height you would want to use our B6 4600 shock. If you have lift components installed on your truck and need a longer shock then you would want to use the B8 5100’s. Both shocks are equally as durable and neither is better than the other."

The only difference I have read about is lift capability, external coating and the boots.
I was told the same by Bilstein for my F350. Same calving between the two, but they recommend the 5100’s as the truck had a small lift. This is when I asked the question to a rep at a trade show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts