F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
  • Hey guys, this question has been asked alot, and im a young truck enthusiast, at 25 ive only had a couple, but to be honest ive been a chevy guy a while and its time to put my old 1500 5.3 to rest. That said i have a good family friend with a 2011 f150 4x4 ecoboost with only 30,000 miles on it. The guys willing to sell it to me for 12k witch to me is a steal, but iv read so much bad **** goin on with these engines and this beimg one of the first ecoboost made makes me concerned, have alot of you really had that many issues with these? Even with stellar maintence? I change my oil every 3000 miles, i always try to overkill it, cause i can break anything haha.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
  • Hey guys, this question has been asked alot, and im a young truck enthusiast, at 25 ive only had a couple, but to be honest ive been a chevy guy a while and its time to put my old 1500 5.3 to rest. That said i have a good family friend with a 2011 f150 4x4 ecoboost with only 30,000 miles on it. The guys willing to sell it to me for 12k witch to me is a steal, but iv read so much bad **** goin on with these engines and this beimg one of the first ecoboost made makes me concerned, have alot of you really had that many issues with these? Even with stellar maintence? I change my oil every 3000 miles, i always try to overkill it, cause i can break anything haha.
The 2011 is definitely going to be more finicky being the first model year with the 3.5 in it. Its sweet that the miles are so low but who knows what you will get. We have a guy on here who has ~400,000 miles on his 2011 and no problems other than a dead throttle body. Others have had a hard time.

Later years are probably gunna be a bit safer. 13-14 had some changes to fix some of the initial hiccups. I can say that my 2014 has been flawless with the exception of my exhaust manifold warping, but blame that more on having it tuned and trying to pull my camper at 70mph into a headwind. I was not being easy in it.

Oh, and if you care, the 11’s and 12’s have smaller turbos than the 13-17’s so peak power potential is lower if you plan on doing a tune or anything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thx for the reply it deffently scares me being a 2011 but i dont plan on tuning this thing or anything part of my curiousity is alot of these problems happening to the guys who are tunnen them and mashen the pedle everywhere they go? or is this like a game of roulette. I told another guy on here for me at 25 years old 12ks alot of money im not looken to feel like i waisted it. It is nice to here these trucks can last a with some love ive heard alot of people telling me their solid engines i can handle the little stuff im good with a wrench.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Hey thx for the reply it deffently scares me being a 2011 but i dont plan on tuning this thing or anything part of my curiousity is alot of these problems happening to the guys who are tunnen them and mashen the pedle everywhere they go? or is this like a game of roulette. I told another guy on here for me at 25 years old 12ks alot of money im not looken to feel like i waisted it. It is nice to here these trucks can last a with some love ive heard alot of people telling me their solid engines i can handle the little stuff im good with a wrench.
No, there defiantly was some problems that would show up regardless of a tune. Its not
Like these engines are failing left and right, there is literally millions on the road at this point.

Timing chain stretch and cam phasers was an issue and still kinda seems to be. There was also an issue with moisture in the intercooler. If enough built up and you floored it the engine would stumble and throw a code. This is one of the things Ford tried to fix on the 13-14 models with changes to the intercooler.

Some people will tell you to drill a small hole in bottom of the intercooler end tank to blow the crap out. Or you could upgrade to an aftermarket cooler.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have a tuned and modded 2011 with 122k on it, rusty cab corners are the biggest issue. You will love the power compared to the 5.3.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
R0bCincy
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing