F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,
I currently have a 2018 Nissan Titan XD with 5.0L Cummins. Needless to say I was attracted by the 100k warranty but was unsettled when the emissions system faulted over 50k and was told that the warranty only covered it to 50k. As the emissions system is crucal to the operating of the truck I "fixed" the issues and just dumped another $2k into another "emissions" related issue. I have my eye on a 2017 F150 King ranch 3.5L ecoboost with 62k on the ODO. My concern was is the issues that have surfaced about the new 10 speeds coming out that year... I've seen the reviews of them being clunky and the issues continue on from there. I don't need it for towing capacity but rather the utility of a truck and economy (it hurts dumping in $100 every week as I commute quite a bit for work living in SD). Thanks in advance for any info!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Welcome!

If I remember correctly the emissions warranty is covered by the government, so it may not be attached to the OEM warranty.

·
Registered
10,165 Posts
Do you use your titan XD for heavy towing or anything? If so I would be a little hesitant to move to an F150. The paper specs on the XD are not much higher but I think its a much more substantial truck in most regards. I know the cooling systems on the XD absolutely dwarf the F150.

If you are looking for an economical truck, the 2.7L is the way. It also seems to be a better engine from a reliability standpoint. A 2018+ 2.7 will get outstanding mpg’s and still be plenty powerful for towing and hauling

From an economy standpoint, I dont really think the 3.5L stands out vs any other half ton motor. Its ok, but its not great.

·
Registered
2018 F-150 XLT SCAB 4x4 3.55:1
502 Posts
Welcome!

If I remember correctly the emissions warranty is covered by the government, so it may not be attached to the OEM warranty.
Emission warranties are not covered by the government. The government mandates and dictates the terms but manufacturers are liable for producing product which lasts the duration else pay for the repair.

·
Registered
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat Screw 5.5' | 3.5 Eco | 4x4 3.55 Max Tow | 33's, Tuned by BoostKing
616 Posts
Usually the only folks disappointed with the 3.5 EcoBoost are those who went all in on the "Eco" part of the moniker. Unfortunately that part is hardly truth in advertising, but thankfully the latter part is there in spades.

As mentioned, a 2.7 V6 is the economical choice and still more power than most other half ton engines.

As for the transmission, that generation can be tuned relatively easily. Worst case scenario, ifyou find you can't live with the transmission, it can much improved by a tuner for around $500-$1000, and you'll get a huge power bump to go with it.

·
Registered
2013 race red SCrew 4x4 air lift bags
2,533 Posts
Greetings all,
I currently have a 2018 Nissan Titan XD with 5.0L Cummins. Needless to say I was attracted by the 100k warranty but was unsettled when the emissions system faulted over 50k and was told that the warranty only covered it to 50k. As the emissions system is crucal to the operating of the truck I "fixed" the issues and just dumped another $2k into another "emissions" related issue. I have my eye on a 2017 F150 King ranch 3.5L ecoboost with 62k on the ODO. My concern was is the issues that have surfaced about the new 10 speeds coming out that year... I've seen the reviews of them being clunky and the issues continue on from there. I don't need it for towing capacity but rather the utility of a truck and economy (it hurts dumping in $100 every week as I commute quite a bit for work living in SD). Thanks in advance for any info!!
What's that 5.0 get with that SD 80mph speed limit?

·
Registered
10,165 Posts
What's that 5.0 get with that SD 80mph speed limit?
Probably as well as a 3.5 Ecoboost loaded to maximum GVWR and turning load range e tires. So not good lol. Even the lightest Titan XD 5.0 crew cab is over 7000 lbs and the loaded ones get up into the 7500 lb range.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Probably as well as a 3.5 Ecoboost loaded to maximum GVWR and turning load range e tires. So not good lol. Even the lightest Titan XD 5.0 crew cab is over 7000 lbs and the loaded ones get up into the 7500 lb range.
I bet.

When I was going through SD last month, 12.5 mpg @80-85...no trailer, into a 25mph headwind though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don’t want to put this into the universe, but just wait until that CP4 decides to grenade itself. That’ll make the DPF/EGR repairs seem like a drop in the bucket. Out of all my 3.5’s that I’ve owned/driven I can thankfully count on one hand the failures or issues I’ve incurred 150K miles and I am not easy on them. I personally love the 10 speed and can’t complain much. Modern diesels aren’t fun to own unfortunately and unless they’re serving a purpose it’s hard to justify the cost of ownership and repair in my opinion.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I would definitely think you’d get better mpg out of the eco than the 12.5mpg
I get around (2018 3.5) 18-20, but my speeds are lower than 80-85. But when we were in Arkansas I was driving 75-90 to keep up with traffic and getting 17+ with wind (not any 25mph wind though)
When we were in SD in the summer in the black hills I averaged 22-24 not towing and 11-12 towing out “camper” 16’ cargo trailer and had plenty of power to smoke most vehicles and squeal the tires.
Some days the transmission is smooth and sometimes a gear or two shift harder (enough to notice) I think I step on it to cause it to downshift when it was ready to upshift.
Overall happy with mine after the 2013 5.0 six speed, just doesn’t sound as good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
Greetings all,
Why does everyone want to commute in a full size truck? Just buy a solid commuter dude

·
Premium Member
17 Lariat SCLB Max Tow 4x4
970 Posts
I don’t want to put this into the universe, but just wait until that CP4 decides to grenade itself. That’ll make the DPF/EGR repairs seem like a drop in the bucket. Out of all my 3.5’s that I’ve owned/driven I can thankfully count on one hand the failures or issues I’ve incurred 150K miles and I am not easy on them. I personally love the 10 speed and can’t complain much. Modern diesels aren’t fun to own unfortunately and unless they’re serving a purpose it’s hard to justify the cost of ownership and repair in my opinion.
Bosch really screwed up on those systems. GM went to Denso because of it. Dodge went back to a CP3 pump now. Fords running the updated 4.2 and jury is out whether it will last.

Reactions: TannerK17

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
I would definitely think you’d get better mpg out of the eco than the 12.5mpg
I get around (2018 3.5) 18-20, but my speeds are lower than 80-85. But when we were in Arkansas I was driving 75-90 to keep up with traffic and getting 17+ with wind (not any 25mph wind though)
When we were in SD in the summer in the black hills I averaged 22-24 not towing and 11-12 towing out “camper” 16’ cargo trailer and had plenty of power to smoke most vehicles and squeal the tires.
Some days the transmission is smooth and sometimes a gear or two shift harder (enough to notice) I think I step on it to cause it to downshift when it was ready to upshift.
Overall happy with mine after the 2013 5.0 six speed, just doesn’t sound as good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It didn't. Normally, low 20s at 70 is pretty easy to pull.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bosch really screwed up on those systems. GM went to Denso because of it. Dodge went back to a CP3 pump now. Fords running the updated 4.2 and jury is out whether it will last.
Unfortunately, yes. It’s one of the main things that made me uncomfortable with my 2011 6.7 and why I have steered away from the 3.0L Power Stroke as well. Chrysler at least recalled their 6.7 and is swapping the 5th gen trucks to a CP3.

I drove a Titan with their V8 Gas engine on a hunt for several days, a few years ago. I really did not mind the truck and I actually enjoyed it. I started research on the 5.0L Cummins platform to see what that would look like and that’s when I started to see the CP4 issues talked about on their forums. Otherwise, they’re fairly good trucks it seems.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Why does everyone want to commute in a full size truck? Just buy a solid commuter dude
Lots of truck owners don't have an extra off-street parking space, don't want Another monthly car & insurance payment, and prefer the larger vehicle for it's better survivability in a crash. All those issues will override better fuel mileage.

·
Premium Member
17 Lariat SCLB Max Tow 4x4
970 Posts
Unfortunately, yes. It’s one of the main things that made me uncomfortable with my 2011 6.7 and why I have steered away from the 3.0L Power Stroke as well. Chrysler at least recalled their 6.7 and is swapping the 5th gen trucks to a CP3.

I drove a Titan with their V8 Gas engine on a hunt for several days, a few years ago. I really did not mind the truck and I actually enjoyed it. I started research on the 5.0L Cummins platform to see what that would look like and that’s when I started to see the CP4 issues talked about on their forums. Otherwise, they’re fairly good trucks it seems.
I honestly can say I know nothing about an issues of the Titan XD other then a few small specs/engine geometry.

I can honestly say that Bosch has issues in our high horsepower engines. The injection pumps are noisy and higher then normal failure rates. I think a good additive and a good lift pump will help these pumps live longer life’s.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Lots of truck owners don't have an extra off-street parking space, don't want Another monthly car & insurance payment, and prefer the larger vehicle for it's better survivability in a crash. All those issues will override better fuel mileage.
The cost of insurance and registration in California would pay for the extra gas I put in my truck.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
I honestly can say I know nothing about an issues of the Titan XD other then a few small specs/engine geometry.

I can honestly say that Bosch has issues in our high horsepower engines. The injection pumps are noisy and higher then normal failure rates. I think a good additive and a good lift pump will help these pumps live longer life’s.
It seems like all manufacturers have at least one problem on today’s expensive high tech trucks.

It’s like voting for a politician when buying a truck these days, you might not like the problems they have so you pick the one that might cause the least problems and then expect to be pissed off at some point down the road. 😠

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
My 2022 renewal fees for a 2012 3.5 ecoboost & 2011 6.2 Raptor cost me over a thousand dollars. That's 50+ lap dances:mad:
Exactly.
I left California to Idaho. Registration, $250 for 2 years, both cars. Insurance, $1075 per year both cars same coverage I had in California. That’s around $2850 savings.

Gas isn’t really all that cheap here though, maybe around 60 cents cheaper.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts