F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have all heard it time and time again. "What is the best exhaust for my 2.7L/3.5L?" And most people have the same response; "Stock." Until now, I have agreed. It has proven very hard to make the EcoBoost trucks sound like anything other than a fart can or a rice burner. Admittedly, they will never sound like a 5.0L (or even my old 7.3L Powerstroke.. sigh) but that doesn't mean we should be neglected of a good exhaust!

I bit the bullet. The mod bug got me. I already have an upgraded CAC, and if I want to try a CAI (even though I know the factory one is pretty good already) I figured I should upgrade the exhaust too. But then there was the problem of what exhaust to get. I didn't really like the sound of any of them. Well then AWE showed up on a forum (they are even a Forum Vendor on F150Forum.com). I had never heard of them, but they were developing a new exhaust for F-150s, and it sounded good. Or at least better.

So I bought it. Exhaust sounds are probably the most subjective and controversial thing in an F-150 forum these days, but I decided to try it. The AWE kit was really nice, and every package included a Blowpop which was enough to keep me happy. The quality of the kit seems very nice. I am no welder, but the welds all seem good. Their website states it is US made from "US-Sourced CNC mandrel-bent .065” wall T304L stainless steel." Those are also words I don't understand, but I do know it looks good. It also includes a lifetime warranty.

I bought both the performance resonator, and the resonator delete pipe so I could hear both. The kit installs directly behind the catalytic converter. Install was a breeze. I honestly thought it would be worse, but it took less than an hour.

So the big question! How does it sound? Honestly, it had to grow on me. I didn't expect it to sound like a Coyote, but I wanted it to sound better than my riding lawnmower. I started off with the non-resonated kit. It's LOUD. There is no cab drone, but the slightest throttle and you hear it. You also hear each cylinder firing because of the lack of a resonator. This makes for kind of a popping sound. At low RPM and idle, it sounds great. In the mid range is where it starts to sound like a small V6 (which it is) and where a lot of people roll their eyes and groan, but when you get on it at WOT, you smile. Even for a V6 this thing sounds GOOD! Now I can't go driving around WOT all the time, but I sure can get on the freeway in a hurry

Then after about a month I put the resonator in place of the delete pipe. Took about 30 minutes, and one more BlowPop. This quieted the exhaust a lot. I kept trying to find a word for how it sounds different and the word I came up with was that it "resonates"... wouldn't you know. There is still no drone in the cab, and it is much quieter, however that popping of hearing each cylinder is gone. They all kind of blend together because of what AWE calls their 180* technology. Essentially they claim that they have engineered the resonator to bounce the sound waves in a way that they cancel each other out. Science.

All I know is I like to put my foot to the floor now.

I made this short video of it. I hope it helps with hearing it.

**DISCLAIMER: Many of my reviews and videos feature sponsored content. I reached out to AWE because I wanted to try their exhaust after considering multiple brands. They agreed to provide me a discount on an exhaust if I would post a review on a forum. I receive no financial incentive if anyone decides to purchase from them. I enjoy reviewing truck parts and mods, and I appreciate their willingness to provide me that discount so I can do more videos like this. I hope this is helpful for anyone considering an exhaust for their EcoBoost.

I worked with Josh at AWE. He was great to work with and you get constant automated update emails, since every exhaust is build to order. Mine arrived very quickly, although Josh did say he was going to try to expedite my order for a review since their F-150 line was new and he wanted to get a review out soon.

AWE Website:
https://www.awe-tuning.com/make/ford...gn=F150_Launch

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds pretty damn good. I’m looking for one now. I might have to consider this AWE.
I was looking at the Corsa Extreme and J-Solo Performance Mach-40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
7,819 Posts
For 1500 bucks, it still sounds like shite.
True! and not to put the OP on blast (not really on blast, but you get the picture), he receives items for free/heavily discounted in return for his YouTube videos. So take that FWIW

·
Administrator
9,714 Posts
I was mildly interested in the AWE exhaust until I found out their catback doesn't include the midpipe, so it has to be purchased extra, and priced it all out.

Most catbacks I've priced take you from the cats back, but I guess I have seen a couple that were just midpipe back.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
I saw an EB out on the street that had like a 4" tip like a diesel. Sounded like a diesel too. So far it was the only good sounding EB that I've heard. I still kick myself for not following him and getting the skinny on it.

·
Administrator
7,819 Posts
I saw an EB out on the street that had like a 4" tip like a diesel. Sounded like a diesel too. So far it was the only good sounding EB that I've heard. I still kick myself for not following him and getting the skinny on it.
Most likely had downpipes, muffler, and no resonator. That is the "best" (subjective term) that I have heard through youtube.

To be honest though, if it sounds good at idle then it will most likely sound like **** upon acceleration.

·
Premium Member
4,893 Posts
I was behind a new Raptor yesterday for about 5 miles and several traffic light stops. I was in the tiny Mazdarati with the top down. Believe me when I say I could hear his oem exhaust perfectly since I was "down there" with it.

He left each light aggressively. And although he probably thought I had a powerful little sports car that was hanging with him, he wouldn't know how much harder I was ringing that little 2 liters neck to stay with him.

Point is, that's about the only noisy Ecoboost exhaust that I have heard that sounded sorta good. Not fantastic, but not bad.

I'm guessing Ford worked pretty diligently to settle on that specific sound.

Because of that, if I ever decided to alter my quiet exhaust, for performance reasons, I'm just going to pony up for the Raptor exhaust. Or as close to it as possible

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
9,714 Posts
I was behind a new Raptor yesterday for about 5 miles and several traffic light stops. I was in the tiny Mazdarati with the top down. Believe me when I say I could hear his oem exhaust perfectly since I was "down there" with it.

He left each light aggressively. And although he probably thought I had a powerful little sports car that was hanging with him, he wouldn't know how much harder I was ringing that little 2 liters neck to stay with him.

Point is, that's about the only noisy Ecoboost exhaust that I have heard that sounded sorta good. Not fantastic, but not bad.

I'm guessing Ford worked pretty diligently to settle on that specific sound.

Because of that, if I ever decided to alter my quiet exhaust, for performance reasons, I'm just going to pony up for the Raptor exhaust. Or as close to it as possible

I think that's because of the true duals, like the one decent 2.7 I've heard.

·
Premium Member
4,893 Posts
I think that's because of the true duals, like the one decent 2.7 I've heard.

I'm sure that has a lot to do with it, but I also feel like the volume was just right between....

"I have a Raptor, so can I please make some exhaust sound" & "No thanks, I bought this Platinum for the fine luxury appointments, so please keep the noise down"

·
Registered
46 Posts
WOW! That's interesting and way too loud for my tastes. Have a Banks System on my '13 and it sounds really good without being Ricey / Farty. Much deeper tone, absolutely no drone and relatively quiet when cruising, but get on the gas and it definitely talks to you. It doesn't sound like a V-8 but does sound much better than stock without breaking the bank or your ear drums!

I just got a '19 Raptor and it doesn't sound as good as the Raptor, but it is about the same sound level. Maybe slightly louder.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had an exhaust like that on mine for awhile. It was made by Diamond Eye. I thought it sounded about as good as I had heard on an ecoboost from the outside. But, the in cab resonance was too much for me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
True! and not to put the OP on blast (not really on blast, but you get the picture), he receives items for free/heavily discounted in return for his YouTube videos. So take that FWIW
100%. I don't want to hide behind that fact. But I did genuinely want and purchase this exhaust (albeit at a discount in exchange for a promise to post a review).

I don't look for review discounts on products I don't want myself. It's still my truck after all. I believe I initially saw AWE post on this forum and I reached out to them.

BUT that's why I post the videos. I post my opinions, but want everyone to form their own opinions, I just present the material.

In fact, I know exhausts are such a personal subject in the Ecoboost world, that's why I didn't say a single word in my video :)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts