F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Expertise and true professionalism has been declining in quantity, or in ease of access, for some time. And ironically, the need for it increases with technology and sophisticated products.
It's not so alarming for the kinds of products that can just be disposable rather than repairable, but the automobile just isn't in that category.

DNA Dan, probably to his chagrin, is my personal example of what the new option is for situations like this. He's NOT an automotive technician. He's a scientist professionally. But he desired to have an expensive and extremely critical repair done correctly. So he researched the procedure and then methodically performed the procedure himself.

It made quite the impression on this old man because I put myself in his shoes and was not comfortable with having a dealership do it for my truck. There's no explanation for the percentage of botched results with the Ecoboost timing chain repair other than the reduction of expertise and/or professionalism. DNA Dan made that embarrassingly evident. (that is not meant to be insulting in any way)

There's a reason that Ford Techmakaloco is working on F150's from Alabama. Somebody is desperate enough to trust someone with his 10 year old truck that he'll drive it or ship it to Chicago.

I said all that to say it's amazing how much trouble you are dealing with just getting your truck fixed up with a rebuilt transmission. Not a rare or special transmission either. A 6R80 for goodness sake. Literally millions in existence.
Appreciate the vote of confidence! As I've gotten older and observed "The great decline", part of me wonders when everything became a scam? You can't go five feet out your front door without someone looking to take your money and give you a pickle in return. Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying experts who can deliver what they promise, my hat goes off to those folks and I certainly have no issue paying top dollar for it. But I must confess, 9 times out of 10 when I drop the coin for such things I am left feeling like someone sucker punched me in the gut. It's everywhere, in all industries, and yes, even in science. You know how many times I've processed a sample which I know comes from a poorly designed experiment? I'll spend thousands of dollars on it even though I know the data is going to be garbage.

I just want to return to the times when people delivered on their promises, didn't oversell you on expectations and delivered something of actual substance. Doesn't look like that's happening anytime soon, so I need to become my own expert out of necessity. I certainly don't mind getting my hands dirty and giving my best effort on something that is completely foreign to me. It's a great time to be alive for tinkerers, developers, creators, engineers, designers, etc. with the internet and sharing ideas, successes, failures, etc. In no other time in history has anyone on the planet had so much power at their fingertips. Many people WANT a better job, but how many people want TO DO a better job? You just have to have the desire and the will to want something bad enough and you'll find a way to make it work.

One of the greatest inspirations in my youth was a person named Cavett Robert. My father introduced me to some of his speeches. I just googled his name and it appears you can download them for free. His series "Are you the Cause of the Result?" is really fabulous. It's incredible to think how this guy was thinking like this back in the 70's. Where did we go wrong? If you have the time I suggest you give it a listen. Some of it is dated obviously, but the messages are really great. Cavett was a really interesting person. Cavett Robert Digital Downloads

Sorry to engage in derailing the thread. But I just felt the moment was right and I think you'll all enjoy it.

As for the transmission, Something isn't right for it to be running that cold. Is it possible that things are a bit "loose" inside and it's not pumping fluid as hard as it should? Thus the friction modifier to "cover-up" the sloppiness? I'd be angling for a refund. This smells awfully fishy to me. Operating temperature is operating temperature, regardless of the weather outside. The trans is designed to get up to 195 degrees and stabilize there. How is your gas mileage?

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
If they keep on about the new cooler causing temps to be low, I’m going to have them reinstall the old one… figure that should settle that
This is exactly what you should do. It's very easy to swap those out. The trans should reach 195, open the stat and start flowing through the cooler. The cooler does not cool it below that because the stat is controlling the temperature. All the cooler does is give more resistance to going higher than 195. Under extreme towing I was pushing 230 on my stock cooler, but with the larger coolers I only get up to about 210 at most. Regardless, the stock operating temperature is set to be ~195 degrees. I don't know if it's simply missing the stat or there's some other issue inside the unit. As a customer, if the rebuild place forgot the stat, what else did they not do right? It's not like you paid for a "modified" custom transmission that is supposed to be different in some way. A stock remanufacture should be just that. Stock. Otherwise it should be noted as being modified in some way.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts