F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So at a bit over 200k on the clock, my trans was making some racket… suspected torque converter coming apart.

Decided with the mileage it made the most sense to rebuild or replace the transmission as simply pulling it to investigate looked to run at least $1200.

So, naturally, this was the time to install that Saudi trans cooler I’ve been eyeing for a few years… along with a rear main seal, raptor trans mount, new cooler lines and a Dorman pan with drain plug.

Fast forward, the new (reman) trans is installed with all the aforementioned goodies. I can’t get the thing to run over 135 degrees! Today, towing our (little) trailer home from camp it barely broke 120 in an hour of highway driving. Before it ran 201 when warmed up, sometimes ticking up to 210 when towing.

I have a hard time imagining that the new cooler has cut 80 degrees off the operating temperature. What do you guys think?

Using my edge sct to monitor temps… trucks gauge cluster agrees. According to performance and the SCT, torque converter is locking up even at these low temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well,.you have two variables going on and it could be one or both (reman trans and new cooler).
To be honest, I suspect the trans, or maybe just a sensor. I know I’m not the first to add a bigger trans cooler to an ecoboost

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Last week it was running 134 at 74 ambient. Today, max 122 at 60. On Friday with ambient around 90 it was still below 140.

Bad/missing/open thermostat makes sense.

I think this thing was built on a Friday. First day I picked it up it was leaking fluid… they (transmission shop who installed the reman) found a bad or missing seal at the pump. Got that “fixed” and it’s still slipping when downshifting 4 to 3 under acceleration.

I swear, every time I let someone else work on this thing… sheesh!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I figured replacing the trans with a reman would mitigate the potential for botched work… it clearly has not eliminated it though.

I see the phenomenon you speak of all over in my line of work, home building. It seems to have infiltrated almost all areas of commerce. We are now waiting longer and paying more for lower quality goods and craftsmanship. The “Covid” “shortages” seems to have increase the angle of the curve for this decline.

The silver lining in it all is that this leaves a void ready to be filled by individuals who wish to do better, provide exceptional quality work and goods for those of us who are wanting. Fordtechmakuloco is a prime example.

Short of that guy,I would not trust another to do the timing chain and exhaust manifold jobs my truck needs next. I too am a bit of a scientist, at least in part (perhaps more at heart.) I chose to move into building science and design but even that I approach using the methods I learned during my 3 year tenure as a pre-med student.

I’m going to reach out to the shop this morning. Hopefully we can get it sorted before my family vacation coming up in a couple weeks. If it’s trying another reman unit, it’ll be cutting it close.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I apparently spared you all another part of the saga in my initial post…

I initially picked the truck up last Monday with the new reman tranny installed. Noticed the cool temps but figured it was just taking longer to warm up. So the next day I set out to see how long it would take to get to what I consider a normal operating temperature… or at least north of 150. After a couple hours, accelerating from a roll, the thing slipped really bad… then it kept happening as I tried to replicate the issue.

I pull over and notice a few drips under the truck. Go inside, grab a sandwich and the drips are bigger. Check it and sure enough it’s red. It’s also making a “honk” sound under the same downshifting condition into 3rd.

Took the truck back last Wednesday so they could see what was up. They pulled the trans, found a leaking seal at the pump, and got it back to me “fixed” Friday afternoon.

At that time we discussed the temps and the proprietor agreed that it was running cooler than ideal, but the leak and slippage were of primary concern.

Over this last weekend, it never really slipped, but would hesitate and “honk“ when downshifting into third.

All that background so I can ask you guys a couple questions…

Do the 6r80’s tend to require a friction modifier in addition to Mercon LV? That’s what they added to “fix” it today. When I questioned why it was not packaged with that fluid from the re-manufacturer, they said, “sometimes they need it and sometimes they don’t. This make sense to any of you? I wasn’t aware that the 6r80 required any additional modifier when running mercon LV.

They are also blaming the low operating temperature on the cooler I had them install, refusing to accept that it could be a flaw in the unit. I’m thinking of that train of thought continues, I’ll have them reinstall the original and we will see what temp it gets to

I have not actually picked up and driven the truck myself, that’ll be tomorrow.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you for the detail! It was a nice Segway to some bit of hope and inspiration among the otherwise all negative subject matter.

My gas mileage is unchanged or slightly improved following the swap.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
What was the cost of the rebuilt 6R80? I've seen prices around $2500 for a "walk in, walk out" deal, where you bring your core in and leave with their mystery unit. And it wasn't your original unit, it was a random trans? Did they break down a list of the specific parts, or just bill for the generic "rebuild kit"? My 2011 6.2 Raptor might need this soon, I'm trying to prepare for it
This is not an in house rebuild but a Re manufactured unit with a 3-year 100k warranty from a (supposedly) reputable source. I still think the shop who did the install will make this right in the end but I am definitely frustrated with the process

Edit: coat was $5085 out the door including the install of all the extra goodies (paid for those separately) … they only charged me a couple hundred for the extra labor and some fluid.

I shopped around quite a bit. Rebuild ranged from $3800-4200.

One shop offered a salvage for 3700

Reman options were as high as $8700… local Ford dealer was at $6700 with unknown lead time due to back order

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There is a 6R80 additive ford offered for some transmissions needing to “break-in”. It only effected a small group. But I highly doubt that is what you need.

It’s called XL-16 and I’ve only used it once on a truck. The kit consists of a dye and additive. The service manual states to only use the Additive (F) and adjust according on the platform ( 6r80, 6r140 ).

xl-16 is what they used. It did not fix the issues. I’m strangely relieved… I was worried that it would simply cover up the underlying problem(s) and lead to premature failure and a shorter service life.

I got 200k out of the factory trans. In my opinion, it’s fair to expect that this one should outlast the truck, ie give me at least 100k miles of use

If they keep on about the new cooler causing temps to be low, I’m going to have them reinstall the old one… figure that should settle that

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
May be hope for this lot yet… got word that a new unit was ordered and should be here Friday. Best part is they did it before I had to put my foot down.

Hopefully it’ll go in and be trouble free

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Thought I'd update y'all on what has turned in to quite the saga... In the last month I've had possession of my truck for maybe a week!

The shop and Remanufacturer (ETE Reman) did go ahead and install a whole new unit. It came in quickly, just a couple of days, then when they installed it it was "worse than the first..." I'm not sure what all it was doing as they never even gave it back to me. They order a 3rd unit...

This one isn't supposed to arrive until 6/17 (over a week out at the time) and its a day or two before I am supposed to drive the truck to AL for a week's long vacation in Ft Morgan. I resolve to rent a vehicle and ask the shop if the "warranty" covers any such expenses. They call and the Reman'r agrees to pay $25/day, the shop agrees to contribute the same... so $50/day. This barely covers 1/2 the cost, but whatever I get a 4runner and head to some much needed R&R! Oh yeah, while we are dealing with all of this, my iphone7 takes a crap and stops working the afternoon before we are suppose to leave, no phone for about a week which was awesome (and terrible) but I digress...

Get home on Saturday (6/10) and call them Monday morning (6/13)... the 3rd unit is acting up and they are waiting on a new "conductor plate," aka Lead Frame. They dont really get specific as to what it is doing.

Later that day, finally some good news, we are good to go! Oddly, they blame all the problems to date on the Dorman tranny pan I asked them to install so that I would have a drain. At this point my reaction is "whatever." I drive the truck all week, haul the boat to the lake on Saturday... no problems!!! woo hoo!

To the original point of this thread, operating temps now settling in the mid to upper 170's. Cool, but not alarming.

All is well, until yesterday.

I had left the boat hitched up so yesterday I went to drag it back to storage... made it a block down the road, pulling up to the stop sign at the end of our road (which is on a pretty steep incline) and the truck bucks, wrench light on and sticks in 3rd gear. At this point I am amazed at how little emotion I feel about the whole thing! The truck wont pull the hill in 3rd with boat attached so I get to back her all the way to the house and back up the driveway.

Scan for DTC's and get...

P0720
P0722

The OSS sensor codes associated with the lead frame recall!

Call the shop, agree to bring it in.

Meanwhile I clear the codes and shut her off for about 20 minutes and have a mid-Monday beer! FWIW, truck starts out motivating in 1st... good right? but stays there, eventually throwing the wrench and sticking in 3rd again. By now I've figured out this is the fail safe. At one point on the drive I wrap the rpms high enough that it decides to go into 5th and hang there. That really made for a pleasant stop-and-go drive through town so at a red light I shut it off and turned back on... back into 3rd gear at least.

EDIT: talked to the shop and apparently transmission 2 and 3 were having the same symptoms, P0720 and P0722. Is it possible to get 3 bad lead frames in a row? I cannot help but wonder if there is some other issue, the shop has taken to checking wiring harnesses etc. The truck ran fine, I only had the transmission replaced as a reliability measure since the torque converter sounded like it was coming apart... whats that saying about no good deed?

I'm just about past my wits end. Along with all this BS, they managed to bring my driver door down on the lift to the tune of a $1200 to $1500 repair bill. They've agreed to pay for it, but now that I am thinking about just going somewhere else, it really does complicate an already difficult conversation. I'm to the point that I think I would like to walk away with a refund and transmission core so I can go somewhere else. If it goes that route, and they go sideways on me regarding the door repair, I guess I can just make an insurance claim and let them fight it out.

Thanks for listening! Will let you know what happens next

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Latest developments…

I found a technical article outline the importance of making sure the solenoid strategy is programmed in when you replace the 6r80… found out that the shop had done no programming at all, other than CAM reset.

They tried it, drove it 200 miles, before telling me they think it’s fixed!

Unfortunately i only got about 30 miles before the p0720 and p0722 came back and she went into failsafe mode…. Sigh

Took it back, about a day later they informed me they are ordering a Ford unit with hopes it’s something going on at the Re manufacturer’s side… and they cut me a check for their half of my rental car reimbursement.

Progress.

Should get the Ford tranny Monday… cautiously optimistic!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Got my truck back… now on the fourth reman tranny. This one the shop picked up from Ford. So, now i have a warranty from Ford, not ETE… the outfit responsible for sending us three defective transmissions in a row… and then a bad lead frame. Who knows what was really going on.

Note: thats E-T-E… if your shopping for a remanufactured transmission, id suggest you stay away from them.

So far so good!

This ford Transmission is reaching operating temp of around 199… it broke 200 today briefly… its 95 out… iat around 97.

Also got a check to fix the drivers door.

Hopefully I’m not jinxing myself, but feeling like maybe we finally got a good one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts