F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
13,681 Posts
I don't believe that they REALLY believe that cooler can work that well. I think deep down they doubt that themselves, so it just reveals that they are grasping a bit.
It's a faulty remanufacture. It happens. And it stings them too if you put yourself in their shoes.
But it's their business. It comes with risks. They need to "man up", so to speak, and stand behind their brand. Which in this case is them personally? :)

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
If they keep on about the new cooler causing temps to be low, I’m going to have them reinstall the old one… figure that should settle that
This is exactly what you should do. It's very easy to swap those out. The trans should reach 195, open the stat and start flowing through the cooler. The cooler does not cool it below that because the stat is controlling the temperature. All the cooler does is give more resistance to going higher than 195. Under extreme towing I was pushing 230 on my stock cooler, but with the larger coolers I only get up to about 210 at most. Regardless, the stock operating temperature is set to be ~195 degrees. I don't know if it's simply missing the stat or there's some other issue inside the unit. As a customer, if the rebuild place forgot the stat, what else did they not do right? It's not like you paid for a "modified" custom transmission that is supposed to be different in some way. A stock remanufacture should be just that. Stock. Otherwise it should be noted as being modified in some way.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
May be hope for this lot yet… got word that a new unit was ordered and should be here Friday. Best part is they did it before I had to put my foot down.

Hopefully it’ll go in and be trouble free

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,681 Posts
That's great news.
It at least reveals that the supplier and the service provider agree that the product was defective.

These days that isn't something that you can take for granted.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Thought I'd update y'all on what has turned in to quite the saga... In the last month I've had possession of my truck for maybe a week!

The shop and Remanufacturer (ETE Reman) did go ahead and install a whole new unit. It came in quickly, just a couple of days, then when they installed it it was "worse than the first..." I'm not sure what all it was doing as they never even gave it back to me. They order a 3rd unit...

This one isn't supposed to arrive until 6/17 (over a week out at the time) and its a day or two before I am supposed to drive the truck to AL for a week's long vacation in Ft Morgan. I resolve to rent a vehicle and ask the shop if the "warranty" covers any such expenses. They call and the Reman'r agrees to pay $25/day, the shop agrees to contribute the same... so $50/day. This barely covers 1/2 the cost, but whatever I get a 4runner and head to some much needed R&R! Oh yeah, while we are dealing with all of this, my iphone7 takes a crap and stops working the afternoon before we are suppose to leave, no phone for about a week which was awesome (and terrible) but I digress...

Get home on Saturday (6/10) and call them Monday morning (6/13)... the 3rd unit is acting up and they are waiting on a new "conductor plate," aka Lead Frame. They dont really get specific as to what it is doing.

Later that day, finally some good news, we are good to go! Oddly, they blame all the problems to date on the Dorman tranny pan I asked them to install so that I would have a drain. At this point my reaction is "whatever." I drive the truck all week, haul the boat to the lake on Saturday... no problems!!! woo hoo!

To the original point of this thread, operating temps now settling in the mid to upper 170's. Cool, but not alarming.

All is well, until yesterday.

I had left the boat hitched up so yesterday I went to drag it back to storage... made it a block down the road, pulling up to the stop sign at the end of our road (which is on a pretty steep incline) and the truck bucks, wrench light on and sticks in 3rd gear. At this point I am amazed at how little emotion I feel about the whole thing! The truck wont pull the hill in 3rd with boat attached so I get to back her all the way to the house and back up the driveway.

Scan for DTC's and get...

P0720
P0722

The OSS sensor codes associated with the lead frame recall!

Call the shop, agree to bring it in.

Meanwhile I clear the codes and shut her off for about 20 minutes and have a mid-Monday beer! FWIW, truck starts out motivating in 1st... good right? but stays there, eventually throwing the wrench and sticking in 3rd again. By now I've figured out this is the fail safe. At one point on the drive I wrap the rpms high enough that it decides to go into 5th and hang there. That really made for a pleasant stop-and-go drive through town so at a red light I shut it off and turned back on... back into 3rd gear at least.

EDIT: talked to the shop and apparently transmission 2 and 3 were having the same symptoms, P0720 and P0722. Is it possible to get 3 bad lead frames in a row? I cannot help but wonder if there is some other issue, the shop has taken to checking wiring harnesses etc. The truck ran fine, I only had the transmission replaced as a reliability measure since the torque converter sounded like it was coming apart... whats that saying about no good deed?

I'm just about past my wits end. Along with all this BS, they managed to bring my driver door down on the lift to the tune of a $1200 to $1500 repair bill. They've agreed to pay for it, but now that I am thinking about just going somewhere else, it really does complicate an already difficult conversation. I'm to the point that I think I would like to walk away with a refund and transmission core so I can go somewhere else. If it goes that route, and they go sideways on me regarding the door repair, I guess I can just make an insurance claim and let them fight it out.

Thanks for listening! Will let you know what happens next

·
Registered
2013 race red SCrew 4x4 air lift bags
2,221 Posts
Thought I'd update y'all on what has turned in to quite the saga... In the last month I've had possession of my truck for maybe a week!

The shop and Remanufacturer (ETE Reman) did go ahead and install a whole new unit. It came in quickly, just a couple of days, then when they installed it it was "worse than the first..." I'm not sure what all it was doing as they never even gave it back to me. They order a 3rd unit...

This one isn't supposed to arrive until 6/17 (over a week out at the time) and its a day or two before I am supposed to drive the truck to AL for a week's long vacation in Ft Morgan. I resolve to rent a vehicle and ask the shop if the "warranty" covers any such expenses. They call and the Reman'r agrees to pay $25/day, the shop agrees to contribute the same... so $50/day. This barely covers 1/2 the cost, but whatever I get a 4runner and head to some much needed R&R! Oh yeah, while we are dealing with all of this, my iphone7 takes a crap and stops working the afternoon before we are suppose to leave, no phone for about a week which was awesome (and terrible) but I digress...

Get home on Saturday (6/10) and call them Monday morning (6/13)... the 3rd unit is acting up and they are waiting on a new "conductor plate," aka Lead Frame. They dont really get specific as to what it is doing.

Later that day, finally some good news, we are good to go! Oddly, they blame all the problems to date on the Dorman tranny pan I asked them to install so that I would have a drain. At this point my reaction is "whatever." I drive the truck all week, haul the boat to the lake on Saturday... no problems!!! woo hoo!

To the original point of this thread, operating temps now settling in the mid to upper 170's. Cool, but not alarming.

All is well, until yesterday.

I had left the boat hitched up so yesterday I went to drag it back to storage... made it a block down the road, pulling up to the stop sign at the end of our road (which is on a pretty steep incline) and the truck bucks, wrench light on and sticks in 3rd gear. At this point I am amazed at how little emotion I feel about the whole thing! The truck wont pull the hill in 3rd with boat attached so I get to back her all the way to the house and back up the driveway.

Scan for DTC's and get...

P0720
P0722

The OSS sensor codes associated with the lead frame recall!

Call the shop, agree to bring it in.

Meanwhile I clear the codes and shut her off for about 20 minutes and have a mid-Monday beer! FWIW, truck starts out motivating in 1st... good right? but stays there, eventually throwing the wrench and sticking in 3rd again. By now I've figured out this is the fail safe. At one point on the drive I wrap the rpms high enough that it decides to go into 5th and hang there. That really made for a pleasant stop-and-go drive through town so at a red light I shut it off and turned back on... back into 3rd gear at least.

EDIT: talked to the shop and apparently transmission 2 and 3 were having the same symptoms, P0720 and P0722. Is it possible to get 3 bad lead frames in a row? I cannot help but wonder if there is some other issue, the shop has taken to checking wiring harnesses etc. The truck ran fine, I only had the transmission replaced as a reliability measure since the torque converter sounded like it was coming apart... whats that saying about no good deed?

I'm just about past my wits end. Along with all this BS, they managed to bring my driver door down on the lift to the tune of a $1200 to $1500 repair bill. They've agreed to pay for it, but now that I am thinking about just going somewhere else, it really does complicate an already difficult conversation. I'm to the point that I think I would like to walk away with a refund and transmission core so I can go somewhere else. If it goes that route, and they go sideways on me regarding the door repair, I guess I can just make an insurance claim and let them fight it out.

Thanks for listening! Will let you know what happens next
Wow,.just...a big...fat...wow.

·
Premium Member
13,681 Posts
From everything you read, as well as feedback from guys like Ford Techmakaloco, the 6R80 is a robust transmission.
I have 2 vehicles with it and one is at 170,000 miles and performs admirably. It defies logic that someone in the repair business would have 3 attempts in a row and have such lousy success. Crazy.

·
Premium Member
6,655 Posts
Man I'm so sorry about all that. I can't imagine.

• Love
Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Latest developments…

I found a technical article outline the importance of making sure the solenoid strategy is programmed in when you replace the 6r80… found out that the shop had done no programming at all, other than CAM reset.

They tried it, drove it 200 miles, before telling me they think it’s fixed!

Unfortunately i only got about 30 miles before the p0720 and p0722 came back and she went into failsafe mode…. Sigh

Took it back, about a day later they informed me they are ordering a Ford unit with hopes it’s something going on at the Re manufacturer’s side… and they cut me a check for their half of my rental car reimbursement.

Progress.

Should get the Ford tranny Monday… cautiously optimistic!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Got my truck back… now on the fourth reman tranny. This one the shop picked up from Ford. So, now i have a warranty from Ford, not ETE… the outfit responsible for sending us three defective transmissions in a row… and then a bad lead frame. Who knows what was really going on.

Note: thats E-T-E… if your shopping for a remanufactured transmission, id suggest you stay away from them.

So far so good!

This ford Transmission is reaching operating temp of around 199… it broke 200 today briefly… its 95 out… iat around 97.

Also got a check to fix the drivers door.

Hopefully I’m not jinxing myself, but feeling like maybe we finally got a good one.

·
Registered
9,634 Posts
Got my truck back… now on the fourth reman tranny. This one the shop picked up from Ford. So, now i have a warranty from Ford, not ETE… the outfit responsible for sending us three defective transmissions in a row… and then a bad lead frame. Who knows what was really going on.

Note: thats E-T-E… if your shopping for a remanufactured transmission, id suggest you stay away from them.

So far so good!

This ford Transmission is reaching operating temp of around 199… it broke 200 today briefly… its 95 out… iat around 97.

Also got a check to fix the drivers door.

Hopefully I’m not jinxing myself, but feeling like maybe we finally got a good one.

That sounds just about right. Mine hangs out right around 198 or 201.

Amazing that company couldnt get it right 3x

Reactions: Boatwaco
21 - 33 of 33 Posts