F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving about 65 mph on highway I heard a loud pop. Pulled over, cab filled with smoke and saw the huge puddle of oil under my truck and the streak of oil a couple hundred feet up the road. All covered under warranty but not real happy (obviously). They got the new long block in and it was still not working correctly, something with excess fuel getting to engine? They told me yesterday they figured out why, something to do with the O2 sensor and the turbos. Service dept said it probably won't be ready for a few days since they need to order more parts. They called today (one day later) and said it was ready. Very skeptical of the work that's being performed.

I also went in just a week prior to this for lack of power/bucking at times when trying to accelerate. They said fuel jets clogged and said my traction light was on so they had to install a whole new rack and pinion.

Has anyone else had these issues? Can't believe the engine crapped out at 36K miles. I had some other issues too but I'm wondering when I could or should talk to someone about the lemon law. Anyone have any advice?????

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Last I heard the Ford ecoboost failure rate was around .1%. It isn't uncommon but also isn't that substantial.

Sorry that it happened. I am assuming that it is all stock? Sounds like your dealership may have had some issues while installing everything. Some people have noticed missed connections.

Reactions: savage07

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Yes, this is becoming a common occurrence with these engines. Your initial shudder/stutter was caused by moisture build up in the CAC. As the engine passed this through, you hydrolocked your engine. These engines are not made well... I saw all these horror stories here, heard bad things from folks I knew, and talked to Ford techs about the F150 ecoboost. All said to stay away. Best recommendation is let wattanty fix it, then dump it for a v8 version. Sure, the fun factor is marginally diminished, but you will have peace of mind that it won't blow up like these ecoboosts.

Funny, my dealership, who is one of the largest service departments for fleet trucks in these parts, said these are rare (blown engines), in fact they have not seen one yet. I have gotten to know the service manager pretty well and I really don't think he's blowing smoke up my a$$...but who knows. In fact two of the main techs have lifted F150 ecoboost as well as another tech at another dealership in my area, his is tuned too.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,012 Posts
.1% think about that........... Only 1 in a thousand, thats not bad in my opinion. Sorry this happened to OP, just pot luck I guess. As sirikenewtron said there's problems with any vehicle to a certain degree. Hope your truck is back to normal or better soon.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
To OP, it sounds like your dealership is taking care of you.

May be a few things that you need to iron out, but I think they will get you up.

You WILL have a new engine as well.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Why is it that most blown engine post are started with very low posts. So do we need to ask this guy the typical questions again?
You know, we're you tuned?, do you have a catch can?, did you drill your CAC?.
Sorry your engine blew. All I'd like to know is what did the dealer say caused it to blow?

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Yes, this is becoming a common occurrence with these engines. Your initial shudder/stutter was caused by moisture build up in the CAC. As the engine passed this through, you hydrolocked your engine. These engines are not made well... I saw all these horror stories here, heard bad things from folks I knew, and talked to Ford techs about the F150 ecoboost. All said to stay away. Best recommendation is let wattanty fix it, then dump it for a v8 version. Sure, the fun factor is marginally diminished, but you will have peace of mind that it won't blow up like these ecoboosts.
Really, quit trolling. He said he had injector stuck on not CAC moisture. Likely did flood a cylinder though.

Reactions: Raiderfan1890

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm picking up my truck in the morning, the mechanic that worked on it will be ther and I've already set up a quick meeting with him to talk about the work he performed, I'll let you know what he said.

No tuner
No catch can
Didn't drill my CAC

If a .1% failure is an accurate number it makes me feel better. I'm a Ford fan and as of now will stay with them, just disappointed with the result of a very expensive truck.

Not sure why a tuner would change the outcome of what happened to my truck. I thought the main thing a tuner did was ignite the fuel at the right time since you program in the octane that you use.

On a side note, I was on a road trip 2 years ago, highway driving, very heavy rain. Truck started bucking when I got on the gas. Took it to a ford dealer and they replaced the water/air seperator. They said it was a known problem but wasn't making it a recall. If you had the issue then they'd replace it with the new part. Different situation from what I had a couple weeks ago.

Thanks for all the responses. I appreciate the replies and look forward to more insight.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
OP- I have over 100k on my truck. I'll be honest... I've never done anything to the truck other change the oil ever 6-12k miles. Yes, you read that correctly. Truck runs great and only issues were some faulty switches, and had to have the throttle body replaced, both under warranty. The blown motor thing is few and far between (unless you run a Super Super Idiotic tune). I would just chalk it up to blind luck and enjoy the new motor.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Hey guys keep in mind all these "blown engines" are typically heard about in forums. Forums where you typically only go for issues. There's a lot more going on outside the forums. I believe the .1%.

Also from our forum, I've noticed the "blown engines" are mostly 11-12 years. True they're the oldest so that's a factor but has any one heard of 13 and 14s blowing?

Steve
2014 Ford F150 XLT Crew Cab EB

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Hey guys keep in mind all these "blown engines" are typically heard about in forums. Forums where you typically only go for issues. There's a lot more going on outside the forums. I believe the .1%.

Also from our forum, I've noticed the "blown engines" are mostly 11-12 years. True they're the oldest so that's a factor but has any one heard of 13 and 14s blowing?

Steve
2014 Ford F150 XLT Crew Cab EB
Exactly.
And yes, there have been a few 13's recently that have thrown rods and/or broken Piston skirts

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
No need for a thread dedicated to a moisture issue that has 6000 other threads. If you don't like the Ecoboost platform, this isn't the site for you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.