F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I honestly do not see how moving the throttle body away from the intake would increase fuel economy.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Little value if any. You'd be better off with a tuner or an exhaust component. If it netted a result of fuel economy Ford would have done it from the factory. The aftermarket has sold TB spacers for 20+ years for just about every application known to man.

I can't remember coming across any scientific studies and test that validate the benefits of TB marketing.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I honestly do not see how moving the throttle body away from the intake would increase fuel economy.

They are machined to make the incoming air swirl, which is supposed to allow the fuel and air to mix better and create a more efficient combustion. From what I understand, they've pretty much been disproved.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
They are machined to make the incoming air swirl, which is supposed to allow the fuel and air to mix better and create a more efficient combustion. From what I understand, they've pretty much been disproved.
Kinda pointless on a direct injection motor.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
A spacer also had the advantage of increasing the plenum size of the manifold. Again, this made more sense on a manifold that located the carb or TB in the centre of the manifold. But, I always thought this meant the person had the wrong manifold.

Reactions: Pinero61

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
A spacer also had the advantage of increasing the plenum size of the manifold. Again, this made more sense on a manifold that located the carb or TB in the centre of the manifold. But, I always thought this meant the person had the wrong manifold.
I've always been told that a bigger plenum was better for low end, and that a shorter one helped up top.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
I've always been told that a bigger plenum was better for low end, and that a shorter one helped up top.
That and throttle response. Again, more noticeable on a manifold with a centrally located carb or TB; and for naturally aspirated engines.

But for the newer Fuel Injection vehicles that have the TB infront of the manifold, those manifolds already have a fairly large plenum and the spacer isn't ideally located; I think the money for a spacer is better spent on mods proven to work.

I am not certain that a different manifold design would provide any noticeable gains, given our vehicles are turbocharged and not naturally aspirated. Maybe Nasty can tell us what the GN guys have found with different plenum/runner sizes on their turbo vehicles.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts

·
Registered
9,641 Posts

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
You weren't even born when they were still OE...
Doesn't mean I didn't own one or two. lol

My dad and I built an '86 c-10 step-side as my first truck. I like the old school trucks, especially one with a good resto-mod.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Doesn't mean I didn't own one or two. lol

My dad and I built an '86 c-10 step-side as my first truck. I like the old school trucks, especially one with a good resto-mod.
I shave with a straight razor, doesn't mean I miss them....lol.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I shave with a straight razor, doesn't mean I miss them....lol.
When I was young my dad always took me to an old barber that still used those. I was scared shitless when he would shave the back of my kneck...

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
When I was young my dad always took me to an old barber that still used those. I was scared shitless when he would shave the back of my kneck...
Yup, but that doesn't even register when you're the one in control of it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts