F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started getting a thumping type noise coming out of the left rear of my S-Crew 4x4 when hitting washboard type bumps... It almost sounds like it could be coming from inside the truck, or something thumping against a body panle or interior panel, but I cant be sure... It happens every time the truck shakes laterally over bumps, so if I hit a big bump straight on there is no "thump thump thump" noise, but if I'm turning, or hitting washboard type bumps with only one side of the truck, it thumps, sometimes faintly once, but if its gets a decent shake it will go multiple times before going silent... "thump thump thump" is the best way I can describe it... almost like a rubber hose vibrating/thumping against a harder surface that could resonate the noise. :confused:

After searching around the various forums I:

• grabbed the tailgate/bumper and shook the truck laterally... No noise.
  • checked the spare tire, which remains tight in place
  • banged around on various area underneath the rear of the truck, including the leaf springs, fuel tank, frame, etc. All I got was some weird twang type sounds, and some vibration from the thin metal sheet guard behind the driver side brake rotor (but not the passenger side). Might have to look further into that.
  • banged on and tried to move the trailer receiver hitch... no omement and no noise.
  • grabbed the shock which felt very tight, but still want to get a wrench on it to double check the top and bottom shock mount bolts.

Maybe I'll rig the camera underneath the rear left side of the truck to try and capture some audio. Not really a vibration, or a creak/squeak type noise... but a very distinct solid deeper sound that is seperated with each hit depending on how long it goes for... Usually 3 times "thump thump thump" while going over washboard bumps or hitting bumps while turning when the truck gets the shakes rather than just going up and down. Hmmmmmmmm...???...

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I've mentioned to the dealer that I've got a lot of rattling coming from beneath my truck and was told it's normal with these trucks.
Sounds like the generic BS reply to me, but until something fails there isn't much to do.
But if something fails, ha, see I told you so :confused:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've mentioned to the dealer that I've got a lot of rattling coming from beneath my truck and was told it's normal with these trucks. Sounds like the generic BS reply to me, but until something fails there isn't much to do. But if something fails, ha, see I told you so :confused:
Why don't you take someone from the dealership for a ride in your truck and maybe the can fix it?
Stop complaining

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Why don't you take someone from the dealership for a ride in your truck and maybe the can fix it?
Stop complaining
It's funny because you are complaining about him complaining. All in all a pretty pointless post.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cant find much feedback on this... Like a deep sounding thump / rattle, audible for 1-2 seconds depending on the how much the truck shakes over washboard type bumps... seems to sound off most when the rear wheels are hitting bumps unevenly, and the bumps are lighter to where the suspension is not taking a solid hit, more just shaking the truck.

Sounds a lot like this scenario I found on the SHO forum... Wheel bearing perhaps? I have crawned under the truck and checked everything I can get my hands on, so maybe I'll jack it up next and try and shake the left rear whell when its off the ground..??..

wheel bearing? - SHOForum

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have had the same prob with my 2012 took it to the dealer a couple of times first time they had no idea second time I had to take out 2 different mechanics or at least I thought they were out on a drive. First guy says he could not hear anything so I made him go out and listen as I drove over speed bump at an angle second guy tells me that I am not used to driving trucks this size and it is quite common. I drive truck for a living and turns out all he does is the tech support for the sinq radio. They checked everything retightened every thing said it may have been my leaf springs but could also be my tunneu cover yeah right

·
Registered
185 Posts
Well I only have two ideas. First being to check the seat belts. I know my passenger side will get stuck sideways and thump and rattle against the panel. (Drive you up the wall) the second is I heard about something inside the door that would rattle every now and then. Mine has it on the driver side front. I just haven't taken the panel off yet. I read you could put foam or tape on whatever was rattling and it solved it. Just some ideas to check.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took it in last week and took the shop foreman on a test drive... Hit some road chop with only the right side wheels at ~30mph or so and he heard the noise right away... We found that it happened in in-sync with the truck box bed rails shaking... So when hitting uneven or washboard style bumps that cause the trucks to shake laterally, look in your side view mirror... When those bed rails get to shaking pretty good you'll hear this thumping type noise that is heard in succession, but if they only get a small shake it might only thump once.

He thought it could be the tonneau cover, so we rolled it up and strapped it down... still heared the noise. So he said they would check the bed bolts to make sure the bed wasnt loose since I had it sprayed with line X and one of the bed bolts was slightly recessed into the line-x coating while the others werent. I thought great, thats probably it, the bed is a bit loose.

Picked it up and after checking everything, nothing was loose, so he compared it to 2 or 3 other like trucks and said they all make the same noise. :confused: Not too happy with no resolution, but we'll see how it goes. It only makes the noise at times when the truck gets to shaking pretty good, and doesnt make it when hitting bumps straight on with both sides tires... but I swear I never heard it during the first 5,000 miles I drove the thing, so it still seems odd. ???

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think this has something to do with the shocks at a full extension. I have the same noise after I lifted my F250, once I replaced the shocks with the correct length the noise was gone.

Once again, this is speculation but Id be willing to bet that its the leafs smacking each other other the shocks reaching full travel limit (since it sounds like a bump stop being contacted but in the opposite range of travel)

·
Registered
7 Posts
i have had the same problem, may sound crazy i noticed when i hit the bump by hand it makes a very similar noise. the bumper looks like it could have movement across the bumper, but also thinking it could be the trim on top of the bumper. I put some little bits of paper towel under them. hasn't happened since but it only made the noise on really rough ice covered roads. For some reason i have a feeling it is the vibration across the bumper, i work in a body shop and heard similar noises before. hope this helps

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
i have had the same problem, may sound crazy i noticed when i hit the bump by hand it makes a very similar noise. the bumper looks like it could have movement across the bumper, but also thinking it could be the trim on top of the bumper. I put some little bits of paper towel under them. hasn't happened since but it only made the noise on really rough ice covered roads. For some reason i have a feeling it is the vibration across the bumper, i work in a body shop and heard similar noises before. hope this helps
When you say "bump" and "bumper" are you referring to the bump stop on the rear suspension? The truck is making the noise as consistently as ever now... any time the rear bed of the truck shakes hitting shallow washboard style bumps that make the suspension work at high speed. Thup thup thup thup thup.

I also seemed to hear this recently in the left rear area of the truck when I got out and my wife slammed the door on the passenger side..??.. Found an older thread on the Expedition forum where the guy seems to be asking about the same issue: 2008 left/rear thump, at a loss. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Sorry, but it makes the truck sound like an old P.O.S. :mad: Definitely brining it in again for this.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Going to "bump" this thread in hopes some others can chime in. Now I am getting this noise even when I hit light bumps. Basically anytime the bed rails start to shake / bounce it starts up, and may go for a couple short thumps or a longer succession until things calm down... Hitting bumps straight on and/or harder dont produce the noise, which like I said most always happens in succession with the shaking of the bed of the truck.

Ford cant keep telling me this is a "normal characteristic". A clearly audible and slightly hollow sounding thump / rattle when the bed shakes and the suspension is still near the top part of its travel. My new truck sounds like a beater. :(

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is a good response, Im just trying to understand it better. Definitely planning to look at the rear suspension rubber bump stops this weekend.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well I only have two ideas. First being to check the seat belts. I know my passenger side will get stuck sideways and thump and rattle against the panel. (Drive you up the wall) the second is I heard about something inside the door that would rattle every now and then. Mine has it on the driver side front. I just haven't taken the panel off yet. I read you could put foam or tape on whatever was rattling and it solved it. Just some ideas to check. Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
Mine does this on both the drivers and passenger side. Already been into the dealer to be fixed and it was fine for a couple days after now it's started back up and it's worse than before.

·
Registered
1 Posts
F150 2015 Lariat V8, 70k Miles - identical problem. Could also replicate it by simply jumping in the rear of the cabin. Has anyone found the reason, at least?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts