5,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not sure how this got put in the community section

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't hear anything bad in that video. You're in your head again.
I just want to know what's making the sounds, because that's the kind of person I am, shoot me a video of yours making the same sound. I've only found about a half-dozen other people that have this sound in my researching in the past 6 years, a couple of them had major warranty work done and a couple of them are still going strong with over 80,000 miles. Again though I mainly just want to know what it is

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My friend who sold me the trucks, who is the sales manager at one of the largest dealerships in my area, said if it was his he would be taking it back until it was figured out what it was. He's never heard that sound in any other F150

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not the mother in law tucked away under the Tonneau Cover? Err....if you have 1 and or the other-lol
Asking for a friend...
Unfortunately, no

·
Premium Member
5,064 Posts
My friend who sold me the trucks, who is the sales manager at one of the largest dealerships in my area, said if it was his he would be taking it back until it was figured out what it was. He's never heard that sound in any other F150

Not good news, but it is good advice.

Obviously I would have a very long fuse and tons of patience, especially since the truck has warranty and the dealership isn't an adversary at this point.

Regardless of whether it's a serious issue or one that turns out not to be, I'd require someone to discover exactly what it is.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not good news, but it is good advice.

Obviously I would have a very long fuse and tons of patience, especially since the truck has warranty and the dealership isn't an adversary at this point.

Regardless of whether it's a serious issue or one that turns out not to be, I'd require someone to discover exactly what it is.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
That's all I want to know, what the hell it is. Like I always said the truck drives perfect. I think just not knowing is what bugs me the most.
Human nature I suppose

I would be much more concerned if I didn't own a truck previously that also made the sound and drive a couple of others that made it as well

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As long as these oil analysis keep coming back good to go I'm good

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At the 3 second point and again around the 15 second point. Sounds like an old air compressor, or tapping on the bottom of a empty 5 gallon bucket.

It speeds up and slows down with the rpm's and occasionally a non rhythmic out of sequence thump

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Glug Glug Glug or thump thump thump

Camera is on front drivers side tire

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
To me, it just sounds like the valve train/phaser working.

Did you jus record this with your phone? Ill be more than happy to set my phone on my driver tire and record it.

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To me, it just sounds like the valve train/phaser working.

Did you jus record this with your phone? Ill be more than happy to set my phone on my driver tire and record it.
Yeah with my phone, have to have truck in gear and foot in brake, hold rpm's between 900-1,600ish

I've literally driven no less then 15 or 20 different f150's and the majority don't make the sound. After I heard the sound in this truck too my buddy at the dealership let me stop by a couple times a week for a few weeks just to test drive other f150's to see if they made the sound.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Mine sat for 3 days. I did not prime (with the pedal) or anything, got in and started it. Purrs like a kitten. I took video from both front fender wells. does video post like pictures on here?

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine sat for 3 days. I did not prime (with the pedal) or anything, got in and started it. Purrs like a kitten. I took video from both front fender wells. does video post like pictures on here?
You have to use YouTube or simular to post videos here.

Mine purrs like a kitten as well when idling, the thumping only happens after driving the truck and getting it up to temp for a while and only while in gear (drive or reverse) and only at around 900-1,400 rpm's, does not do it in neutral.

Other than that very specific scenario the engine sounds like a sewing machine

·
Registered
176 Posts
I’ll have to take a video of the sound at the same location. Sounds similar to my tick I’ve had since about a month into owning my truck. Mind you I’m deaf in one ear and can’t see out of the other so it may be way different. I’ll report back if you think it’s close enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I’ll have to take a video of the sound at the same location. Sounds similar to my tick I’ve had since about a month into owning my truck. Mind you I’m deaf in one ear and can’t see out of the other so it may be way different. I’ll report back if you think it’s close enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I appreciate the video, surprisingly I don't have that tick sound but I've heard it before in a few other people's trucks in my constant researching on this thumping sound.

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rattle rattle rattle.
Literally the noisiest vehicle I've ever owned in my 47 years on this planet

1 - 20 of 26 Posts