F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all!

I have been researching this for over a day now and have not found too much on it. I am traveling in Colorado where their regular gas is 85 octane (something with elevation). I put 10 gallons of 85 octane in my 2015 3.5 ecoboost before realizing it. From my understanding this is different than E85.

I drove down the road and it was fine. I then parked it, went into the store and when coming back out, it started to make a strange ticking/rattling when under some load/acceleration (typically above 2000 RPMS). I was thinking it was the gas (since that is all that changed) so I filled it up with 93 octane (about another 10 gallons) thinking it would balance out the octane. I am still getting the ticking/rattle when under load/acceleration but now typically after 3000 RPMS.

What are your thoughts? Does it sound like the fuel would cause issues? How can I troubleshoot/fix this? Octane booster? We are traveling with it right now so I cannot take it to my main shop.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
Pick up a bottle of octane booster. Red Lucas Bottle or even Octanium will do the job. Add the bottle then add 1-2 gallons on top of it.

We all make the mistake every once in a while. I would not drive the vehicle hard for the time being.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hello all!

I have been researching this for over a day now and have not found too much on it. I am traveling in Colorado where their regular gas is 85 octane (something with elevation). I put 10 gallons of 85 octane in my 2015 3.5 ecoboost before realizing it. From my understanding this is different than E85.

I drove down the road and it was fine. I then parked it, went into the store and when coming back out, it started to make a strange ticking/rattling when under some load/acceleration (typically above 2000 RPMS). I was thinking it was the gas (since that is all that changed) so I filled it up with 93 octane (about another 10 gallons) thinking it would balance out the octane. I am still getting the ticking/rattle when under load/acceleration but now typically after 3000 RPMS.

What are your thoughts? Does it sound like the fuel would cause issues? How can I troubleshoot/fix this? Octane booster? We are traveling with it right now so I cannot take it to my main shop.

Thanks in advance!
range id needed to do so.

Owners Manual with my 2014 F150 3.5EB says to never use 85 octane gas even when it's regularly sold in the mountain states. 87 is the absolute minimum octane to be used, even if going up to mid grade is necessary.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pick up a bottle of octane booster. Red Lucas Bottle or even Octanium will do the job. Add the bottle then add 1-2 gallons on top of it.

We all make the mistake every once in a while. I would not drive the vehicle hard for the time being.
Thank you! I have drove it much since then but will pick up a bottle or two of octane boost.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
range id needed to do so.

Owners Manual with my 2014 F150 3.5EB says to never use 85 octane gas even when it's regularly sold in the mountain states. 87 is the absolute minimum octane to be used, even if going up to mid grade is necessary.
Thanks. It may be an octane issue. That sounds like the less expensive thing to fix. I have never seen 85 octane before this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts