F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to move my 28' enclosed Wells Cargo trailer for the first time since selling my F250. Backed up the truck, centered the hitch and cranked up the center jack, but low and behold did my F150 squat big time. There would be no way I would ever pull this trailer back side of my F150 with such a towing stance.

I have read some post on the Firestone air bags as well as the Aire Lift air bag system. Both of these seem to be of the same design function in being that you add air pressure to lift the rear of the truck to your choice of being in a level position. And based on the amount of air pressure being added look to also affect your rear ride quality felt through out the truck.

Someone had mentioned the Timbren rear suspension set up which is more of a hollowed rubber cushion that mounts between the frame and the rear axle. As the rear suspension begins to lower it makes contact between the frame and axle acting as a cushion spacer to settle to a level stance. It is my understanding that while the truck remains unloaded that there is an air gap of approx. 1" between the Timbren cushion and the axle to allow for a factory quality ride. I would like to know how does the ride actually feel when the truck is weighted down. And if unloaded, but on a bumpy road does the Timbren spacer make contact and result in a jarring suspension.

Folks I ask your imput and really appreciate any information you care to share in this matter.

I think I can see benefits to the adjustability of the Firestone air bags. But, I can also see an advantage of not needing a source of air to fill the air bags. There may also be benefits of no source for air leaks, line/hose problems and such with the Timbren since it does not use these items to do the job.

If you have purchased or researched any of these systems and have found a great price or retailer I would be interested in this also.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have found the Timbren with a 7,000 load rating for $189 plus free shipping. The also offer a 6,000 load rating at the same price. Firestone air bag set up seems to be right at $330 plus tax and free shipping via Amazon. If I recall correct the Aire Ride was $270.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another player in the rear suspension arena is the Firestone version of the Timbren system IE: Poly spacer/cushion $166 plus free shipping. But, I can't locate any weight rating numbers for this system

·
Registered
14 Posts
There is also Air Lift ride control. All these items seem to work on the same principle.
The system I mentioned gives 2000 lb. of assist which sounds about what I would need.
Three tons of lift or more sounds like it would loosen some fillings.
I will tow eventually. After lots of other guys real world opinions are posted I will choose which one is best suited.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I had roadmaster active suspension installed on my truck today. Haven't had a chance to check them out under load yet but, I like the way they look and the unloaded truck seemd to handle better. Check them out at www.activesuspension.com

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I installed the timbren's about a month ago, Went to quarry with dump trailer loaded up with 3 ton of stone dropped back end about 2 inches and thats where it stayed. I honestly think any air bag system is fine but when on bags ride suffer's a bit.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now I hadn't thought of the Roadmaster Active Suspension system to be honest about it. I can see how it may improve the ride when loaded and maybe even unloaded. But, will it help keep the rear end of the truck from dropping to a unnatural stance.

At this time I am leaning more towards going away from the air bag system. I also wonder if the Aeon Rubber of the Timbren or the Poly composite of the cushion pad on the Firestone may have a better lifetime of wear given the extreme heat we can experience here in Texas. I guess in my old brain when I hear rubber and heat mixed together I begin to think dry and cracking.

Please keep sharing with me.

·
Registered
169 Posts
All I can speak for is on the coil spring setup on my old Dodge, I don't have experience with any systems on the leaf setup. The Firestone was the bag of choice for that truck. Very dependable and it was nice that you can drop them to 5 or 10 lbs when empty and get a stock ride. I think that setup was around $100, cheaper because you didn't need the plates that you do with the leaf springs. If the Timbren won't be affecting unloaded ride quality then your concern about air leaks and a source for airing the bags up at a remote location is answered. If you want some flexibility in your setting you can pickup an air tank and fill it before you leave. You don't need a lot of volume to fill the bags.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I pulled my travel trailer (27 foot) today with the Roadmaster Active Suspension and it defintely felt more secure than when pulling before the installation. This drive was with old style sway control and weight distributing bars. Unloaded ride is not compromised at all. I am pleased with the roadmaster. Looking forward to hitching up with my new Andersen Hitch when it arrives. I will report on the Ansersen after a test drive.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Jumping in way late on this thread but here is my two cents worth on F150 EcoBoost suspension adds. I first purchased the Timbren's for my F150 EB with the anticipation that would be all I needed. Well the short story is that although the unloaded ride was the same it instantly changed the ride over bumps and dips in the road. The Timbren's abruptly hit the axle when going over a bump or dip and it seems to me a short sharp contact on top of the axle over an extended period of time would not be great for the frame of axle. So what I did after the fact is purchase a set of Hellwig Pro Series Quiet Ride springs. It did not change the ride and when I sit my 35' fifth wheel on it the rear truck height settles one inch. I figure the Timbren's will be a nice addition on a rough road if ever called upon to perform.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the extreme duty Timbren AND Firestone Airbag system on my 1 ton Ford. Carrying 3600lbs. If by some slim chance there is an airbag failure it won't be a catastrophe because the Timbrens will take over. An extra $300 bucks for piece of mind is worth it to me.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
I had to move my 28' enclosed Wells Cargo trailer for the first time since selling my F250. Backed up the truck, centered the hitch and cranked up the center jack, but low and behold did my F150 squat big time. There would be no way I would ever pull this trailer back side of my F150 with such a towing stance.

I have read some post on the Firestone air bags as well as the Aire Lift air bag system. Both of these seem to be of the same design function in being that you add air pressure to lift the rear of the truck to your choice of being in a level position. And based on the amount of air pressure being added look to also affect your rear ride quality felt through out the truck.

Someone had mentioned the Timbren rear suspension set up which is more of a hollowed rubber cushion that mounts between the frame and the rear axle. As the rear suspension begins to lower it makes contact between the frame and axle acting as a cushion spacer to settle to a level stance. It is my understanding that while the truck remains unloaded that there is an air gap of approx. 1" between the Timbren cushion and the axle to allow for a factory quality ride. I would like to know how does the ride actually feel when the truck is weighted down. And if unloaded, but on a bumpy road does the Timbren spacer make contact and result in a jarring suspension.

Folks I ask your imput and really appreciate any information you care to share in this matter.

I think I can see benefits to the adjustability of the Firestone air bags. But, I can also see an advantage of not needing a source of air to fill the air bags. There may also be benefits of no source for air leaks, line/hose problems and such with the Timbren since it does not use these items to do the job.

If you have purchased or researched any of these systems and have found a great price or retailer I would be interested in this also.
If your trailer is a regular bumper pull then you should really be looking into a weight distribution hitch, not air bags or timbrens.

Air bags are just a bandaid to level the truck and stiffen the ride but that trailer is still pushing down on the hitch and lifting the front of the truck. This reduces braking and steering ability. Weight distribution will get the weight back on the front axle and level the truck out.

I have both air bags and a weight distribution hitch. The airbags do not replace the hitch when towing and are only when there is a load in the bed of the truck.

·
Premium Member
4,524 Posts
If your trailer is a regular bumper pull then you should really be looking into a weight distribution hitch, not air bags or timbrens.

Air bags are just a bandaid to level the truck and stiffen the ride but that trailer is still pushing down on the hitch and lifting the front of the truck. This reduces braking and steering ability. Weight distribution will get the weight back on the front axle and level the truck out.

I have both air bags and a weight distribution hitch. The airbags do not replace the hitch when towing and are only when there is a load in the bed of the truck.
Good points!

I use WDH and airbags. I do not let the airbags play a role in getting the WDH set properly. (low air pressure)

After I feel the WDH has been configured to "distribute" the weight properly, I slowly air up the bags until just before they start to lift.

At that point they really only serve as an increase in damping for the shocks. These trucks can only have shocks that are valved for light loads or heavy loads. They can't be valved for both unless they are adjustable.

On my 18 I have not added the airbags because I wanted to see if the $expensive fully adjustable shocks could stand up to the job. Although I don't tow heavy, I will have 1000lbs of weight on the bumper and bed cargo. The nice shocks, with a couple of clicks, just take the burden on fine. None of that pogo up and down for the first couple of inches of travel, like an average shock would display under heavy load

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Good points!

I use WDH and airbags. I do not let the airbags play a role in getting the WDH set properly. (low air pressure)

After I feel the WDH has been configured to "distribute" the weight properly, I slowly air up the bags until just before they start to lift.

At that point they really only serve as an increase in damping for the shocks. These trucks can only have shocks that are valved for light loads or heavy loads. They can't be valved for both unless they are adjustable.

On my 18 I have not added the airbags because I wanted to see if the $expensive fully adjustable shocks could stand up to the job. Although I don't tow heavy, I will have 1000lbs of weight on the bumper and bed cargo. The nice shocks, with a couple of clicks, just take the burden on fine. None of that pogo up and down for the first couple of inches of travel, like an average shock would display under heavy load

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I do exactly the same thing. I put just enough air to where the truck just starts to move.

I often have to take my trailer down some rugged roads to get to camp sites and will disconnect the Wdh and pump up the bags temporarily. The couple of times I have accidentally left the bags full after getting on pavement and hooking up wdh, I could immediately tell something was off. It seriously screws with the wdh.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
9 Participants
mass-hole
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing