F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2012 3.5 with 115 on the clock. The timing cover is leaking, should I have chains and sprockets done while they are in there?

Not really experiencing any symptoms, but worst case scenario is symptoms of stretch start 5-10k miles later and I have to pay duplicate labor.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Where is the leak? If it’s by the A/C compressor then that’s a very common leak. Almost not worth the hassle as it will come back.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Ya, agreed.

Mine leaked for 60-70k prior to chains being done.
There was never a measurable amount of oil loss between changes. Unless it's pouring out oil, it's probably best to leave it alone.

·
Moderstrator
3,225 Posts
Can't tell you whether or not you should repair the leak. I'm the guy that can't stand a drop on his driveway or a grimy under hood area. I'd fix it. That said, I wouldn't consider pulling the cover and not replacing the timing components and water pump while I'm in there on an engine over 100K. That's just me, there are people running these to 200K without problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hard to pinpoint exactly where the leak is coming from as there is a lot of carbon buildup around the cover. Dripping hasn't made it to the driveway yet.

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,220 Posts
Ever a cold start rattle ?

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
365 Posts
I agree with @GearHead_1 and would be driven crazy. However the "T-Joint" where the head and block meet is a known leak spot on both sides with very little "fixes" available. Some techs recommend extra sealant, which is what I did on mine, but that is no guarantee.

And yeah, if you are going that far in, I would recommend doing it. Especially with the mileage.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I wouldn't pull the cover for a small leak, BUT if the question is should you do the phasers and guides while the cover is off, I'd say absolutely! however, make sure it's a reputable place that guarantees their work. It's not a small job, and the last thing you want to do is create a new problem in the name of prevention or maintenance.

Reactions: SrpRacing

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,220 Posts
If it's not that bad and the leak isn't bad enough to notice on the dipstick then nah.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts